Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone ever had their metobalism tested?

Well almost a year ago I was going to a weight doctor, they put me on Phentramene, and the HCG pregnancy hormone shot, but prior to that they tested my metabolism, which, they said it was normal. So, you would think that with all the diets Ive tried, why havent I had success? I didnt eat a lot. Dunno. But, have any of you ever had your metabolism tested? If so what were the results, mine was of course as I said before NORMAL...

I have too and mine was normal...I did the medgem...where you breath into a machine. yet I sitll couldn't really loose weight either.

My LBS had me do the breathing test before surgery. It ready my metabolism as "high" but that can't be true! I wonder if this is something that can really be measured that accurately?????

Guest Leslie2Lose

I don't know if you'd qualify it as "metabolism test", but I had my thyroid level tested in '04. It is a simple blood-test, it (thyroid) actually controls a lot of your body's functions, including your metabolism. I tested high (27) - hypothyroid - which means my body doesn't produce enough of of the hormone that controls your metabolism. If you are hyperthyroid - it means your body produces too much (those test below .5). Normal is between .5 and 5.

It is something I would look into if I were you. I was losing my hair (rapidly), had very poor memory (short term), scaly skin, irritable (like I had PMS 24/7). These are just a few of the symptoms.

Good luck and I hope you can find a resolution.

hi, i had the breathing test a while back and my metabolism was 20% less effective than it should be. i have also had testing for insulin resistance - which i recommend for anyone having trouble losing weight! it's a glucose tolerance test (3-4 hours) where they also measure insulin levels each time they measure glucose. my dr. didn't know about this (neither did the lab techs but they did it) but my nutritionist recommended it and i have high insulin resistance - which makes you gain fat from foods that are normally used for energy and makes it hard to lose fat.

the good news on that is i've read that weight loss surgery (lap-band included) can improve insulin resistance by up to 70%! which will make weight loss easier. do a google on it to find out more -it's not as well known as i think it should be but it's a real metabolic condition - your metabolism is broken if you have this. there are many theories as to how you get this (high carb diet, heredity, who knows).

this can be called (or is part of) sydrome x or pre-diabetes sometimes too.