Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5k.....come join me!!

Thanks Carol and Kristen and way to go both of you!! I never knew I could be so excited about running.

Now I'm bummed that I'm going to be out of it for 6 weeks then have to build back up. I'm determined to do it though!

Hi everyone... sorry for the MIA, its been one very busy week. Yes, I ran on Wed and again today, so I'm back! Thanks for the kicking!

The runs weren't long, but just enough to keep me motivated. I've been burning the midnight oil trying to finish some work, but it was great to get outside and run.

Suzanne.. what an amazing run! I'm on a high for you! It would be so great to have someone run with you to push you, and your time was excellent!

I'm heading out of town this weekend with the family to visit my girlfriend. She was banded many years ago and has done so well with it. I've now surpassed her in weight loss and scale weight, but she is 5" taller than me... so go figure! I sent her the pics of me in my new dresses and she is so happy for me. I can't wait to see her, its been about 5 months.

Well folks, I've been on again and off again on this wagon for a while now, but I think this time it will be different. I was trying the C25K interval program for ages but seemed to get stuck in about week 4 and couldn't move past it, so my motivation dried up and I fell off the wagon. I tried again several times but was never able to work up to doing the full distance with jogging/walking intervals.

Since then, I've started work with a personal trainer and I can really tell a difference in the fitness level. Also, I finally faced doing the distance a few weeks back. It just so happens that it is just over 5km from the mine site back to the camp and I have always wanted to walk/run it. The first time I tried (12 months ago), I was only a couple of months into the weight loss and walking regime and I ended up so sore and worn out that I couldn't face it again. This time, I decided to not even worry about the running part - just see if I was now fit enough to walk the distance. I was SO proud of myself when I found I could not only make it, but did it pretty easily!! I was a bit puffed and sweaty at the end but nothing like the miserable wretch who crawled into camp in agony the first time.

Since then, I have walked the 5km home from site EVERY night! Walking briskly, I usually do it in about 55 minutes. Just last night though, I decided to bring back the running idea and did the first 1-2km in intervals with really brisk walking for the rest. I cut 10 mins off my time! My goal now is to gradually work up to doing intervals for the full distance and then finally to running it all.

Fanny... congratulations in finding a method that works! I remember you stuggling a few months back, and I'm so happy for you! Keep it up!

Hi, today was my 5K and i finished first over all in my age division! Thanks for all your help! Next month is a 6 K and I want to run that in the time it took me to run today! You guys are the best!

hugs, Pat

Hi, today was my 5K and i finished first over all in my age division! Thanks for all your help! Next month is a 6 K and I want to run that in the time it took me to run today! You guys are the best!

hugs, Pat

Pat~ Congrats! What a great accomplishment, you must be so proud!

Oh crap. Two nights of doing the first 1-2km in jogging/walking intervals and my knee has started twinging badly and I have to report it to the site nurse. We have to report even the smallest "medical" issues, else we get in big trouble and I've already been told off severely for not reporting a back problem for a few weeks because it didn't seem bad enough to warrant it. If the nurse tells me I can't do the walks home from site anymore, I'm going to cry coz I can just feel them doing me good!

Wish me luck!

Fanny~ Hang in there! Hopefully you can continue your walking/running routine.

Suzanne~ Isn't it crazy how addicting exercising can be! You will be back at it, you have had such great success you will be impatient to get back on the road! Just remember that you will need to make a plan and recommit the time for exercise. That has been the hard part for me and I was only out for a couple of weeks. It feels good to be getting back in the routine - I am much easier to be around!!!

I ran my first brick today for my tri. I already run pretty slow, but man was I slow when I climbed off my bike and took off running. Okay, it wasn't running it was slow jogging! I am sure I looked pretty funny, but I just waved at the neighbors and trudged on. I only had to run for 5 minutes, but it seemed like it was longer than that!

Hope everybody was able to get outside and do something fun today - we had beautiful weather today with clear skies!

Well I'm wearing a pressure bandage, been given some neurofen and applying an ice pack on and off for the day, but she didn't say I couldn't walk home tonight!! (Mind you, I deliberately didn't ask coz I didn't want to remind her!). I think I'll take it easy and just walk, no jogging, tonight though.

Hi, today was my 5K and i finished first over all in my age division!

I'm so impressed!

I already run pretty slow, but man was I slow when I climbed off my bike and took off running. Okay, it wasn't running it was slow jogging!

I swear I just lurch around for the first mile after I get off the bike. But then it gets better.

Well I'm wearing a pressure bandage, been given some neurofen and applying an ice pack on and off for the day, but she didn't say I couldn't walk home tonight!! (Mind you, I deliberately didn't ask coz I didn't want to remind her!). I think I'll take it easy and just walk, no jogging, tonight though.

You might want to try walking every other day to give your body a rest in between. That's what I do with running. Plus your muscles get stronger when you allow them to heal.

Hello my two legged friends. I am finding the best way to get motivated to run is to have some tell you can't. With my leg in a cast; I have never wanted to run more. As I read your post, I can imagine and remember the feeling. My feet finding there beat, my breath syncing to my stride, my body cutting through the air, my heart alive and strong, my spirit turning off my head (the part that says- you cant do this- and my spirit- ignores it), my motivation comes from my music and sheer gut determination.

As I lay with my leg propped up with nerve stingers shoot to my ankle; I read your stories and that I will run again soon and will use this time as a motivation. I remember the first time a "ran" it was probably for about 1 minute - I thought I would die from a heartattack or respiratory distress. - I pushed on and eventually was able to complete a 5K. I am not sure if I could have done it without the motivation from this thread. And for that I am forever gratefull. Thank you all for sharing your running trials and tribulations. You help me stay focused and egar to run again. Wel actually to walk again then run again.

SusanG- the knee walker I use is rented from the internet website knee walker.com about 35.00 per week. worth every cent. As a hopsital adminstrator - the crutches were very limiting to my mobility. Altough I wil warn you; everyone will want to know about, giggle about it. I just offer then a ride and show then how I can do my ice skating move (extend my left arm foreward, left leg extend striagth back. Right arm on the handlebar, right knee on the seat ...and glide. My surgeon was especially impressed.

OK friends, run today for me and then describe it to me. (you will get your run in, and I will get to experience it through you) Strong work ladies.

Lynn

Mac the rest time between runs...1 day or can it be 2?

dont know that anyone saw my ? the other day. i was dragging my feet a bit last run. distance was shorter by about a tenth of a mile and so i gave myself one extra day to rest b4 the next run. anyone think this is a reasonable idea? ive been bummed though about my wt. I know ive done all the rationalization...muscle weighs more than fat, etc, but im still bummed ive been at a plateau since my slip in october. same 5# bouncing up and down since then... im gonna try to restructure some of my eating to put the concentration of Proteins in different times of the day. we'll see if it does anything.

ktork - what i see of your new pic here looks great. i'll run for u tonite (25 mins) i appreciate the way you described the running. what a way with words. :rolleyes2:

fanny - site? what kind of site? i dont understand. also, i have 2 banded friends in perth. if u want let me know and i'll be glad to introduce u, but you may already know them.

tc all,

Carol

Hello all!!

I've been MIA for a few days. Had such a busy weekend. I ran today for the first time since last Thursday. The weather has been wonderful here....cloudy, cool, and breezy. I know it won't last long though. Anyway, I had a good run today.

Congrats to all of you who are doing so well! Keep up the good work!

I had a good run too today. 1.75 miles in 25 mins. not too shabby for me. my run the other day didnt quite complete the full 25 mins. so its motivating me to do 2 more days at 25 mins b4 moving on to week 8. those 3 additional minutes intimidate me. last few days when i run i feel a slight rattling congested feeling in my chest middle to the end of the run. as if theres something loosening up in my chest. my lungs arent burning as bad when im at the beginning of the run as much. so progress! feels good but sore. (a good sore :unsure:)

TC all - talk soon

Carol

I run 3 days a week so I have 1 or 2 days rest between. Well, so far I've run 4 days in a row this week but that's unusual. And I don't like it. :unsure:

You can do other things on your rest day though. I swim and bike on mine and take 1 or 2 days off for total rest.