Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is Mexico a good idea? I am single mother and I am wanting to adopt my foster son. I keep saying I wont be able to keep up with him since my kids are grown, I feel that its bad enough that he will have an older mother I dont want to be the fat mother at all his events. I have never been thin, But all my friends think I am crazy and will not support my decision, of course they are all thin. I dont have insurance so having it done in the US is out. I will also be going by myself because noone will go with me. I really want honest opinions please:smile:

I went to Mexico for my surgery - met my sister there who was also having surgery. We both went alone and it was fine. I would do it again in a minute. I have lost 34 pounds since April 9th and feel great. My treatment in Mexico was fabulous - the hospital was very clean, the doctors were terrific and I was taken care of from the moment I was picked up at the airport til the moment I was dropped off at the airport 4 days later.

I went by myself to Mexico and did just fine. There are many on here who have had the surgery safely and successfully in Mexico. I am happy to answer any specific questions you have. Mexico was my only choice as my insurance only does gastric bypass and I didn't qualify for that. I am 2 years out and very happy with my band!

Is Mexico a good idea? I am single mother and I am wanting to adopt my foster son. I keep saying I wont be able to keep up with him since my kids are grown, I feel that its bad enough that he will have an older mother I dont want to be the fat mother at all his events. I have never been thin, But all my friends think I am crazy and will not support my decision, of course they are all thin. I dont have insurance so having it done in the US is out. I will also be going by myself because noone will go with me. I really want honest opinions please:smile:

Dear Mom

I went to Mexico in 2006 and got a lapband with Dr. Arturo Rodriguez in Monterrey, Mexico for $8,000. Things went South on me in a hurry. I came down with puemonia and couldn't get out of bed the day after the operation. I had to pay another $1,600 to stay 2 extra days.

My wife was with me and she got me to the airport and to the emergency room when we landed in Houston. I was in bad shape. The band never worked. After I started to tighten it up there was never any restriction.

To make a long story short I wound up back in Monterrey in about 10 months and I had to pay out another $2,500 to be debanded.

Loss of work, transportation, hospitals, fills, etc. I spent about $20,000 and didn't loose any weight and have no lapband to show for it.

A lot of people seem to have a wonderful experience with Mexico. I'd urge anybody to stop and consider what it'll cost if you have complications like me. I'm sure that I would have had some financial recourse if it had happened in the USA.

One last thing I found out too late is that you can get fills here for a Mexican band, but no Doctor will touch you if you have complications. It's back to Mexico you go.

Good Luck with your decision

I'm also going to Mexico on 7/22/08 and by myself. There's alot of good DR.'s there. just do your research when picking your surgeon. There's alot of people on this site that have had surgery there. Also don't worry about what your skinny friends think, They just don't understand. If you need support just look on this site and i'm sure you'll find all you need. theres alot of great people here. good luck. :)

I was banded by Dr. Ortiz in Tijuana on the 16th. I came home 9 days ago.

The cost for the surgery was $7950 and included everything but airfare and food (for my friend). I'd originally planned to go alone, but my friend insisted. I'd have been just fine by myself, but it was nice to have someone there just in case.

One thing that I do recommend is that you avoid having the procedure done in a hospital. There are sick people in hospitals whether in the States or in Mexico. :) Stick with bariatric surgical clinics. The fewer germs, the better.

Fills are not included. Each fill will be $100 for fluoro and the expense to get to TJ (but there are fill Drs in AZ that I'll see after the 1st fill).

There were 6 of us who were banded that day. The families and friends sort of bonded and stuck together. They'd keep an eye out for you, too.

Good luck with your new little one, which ever route you take!

Pick a good, reputable surgeon and your Mexico experience can be a great experience. Many people do go alone, but the cost of the surgery for me included a hotel room throughout my stay that a friend or family member can stay in, even while I spent the night at the clinic. There are definitely horror stories out there, such as Cosmos's story. Do your homework and it can be a better experience than any you may have in a US medical facility.

GO FOR IT!! Mexican doctors are awesome! Just make sure you can find follow-up/fill doctor where you live or somewhere within 300 miles. Good luck.

Banded by: Dr. Jaime Ramos Kelly, Tijuana, MX on March 18, 2008:thumbup:

Dear KIKISMOM

All Mexican Doctors have thier advertisers here in the USA. Some are on this website with you. Just let me point out that Surgery here in the USA has a very high standard watermark that they must come up to. We're used to it, and often take it for granted.

It's true that you can get burned by a surgeon here, in Mexico or anywhere else for that matter. We all have our Dias Malas.

The difference is, you have some legal recourse here in the USA. You'll have none in Mexico, just like me.

Do your research and you'll find that my Doctor (Arturo Rodriguez) has a spotless record. Oh did I mention that he can actually walk on the same Water that Gringos can't drink in Mexico ?

Go ahead, Do your research ?

If you go to Mexico I hope you come out allright

Good Luck

Dear Mom

I've made a lot of mistakes along the way. Not just the fact that I don't have a lapband or any money either. I re-read your post and I couldn't help but zero in on a mistake I made early on.

Don't take this wrongly, I try to be of help to other people. If you pursue a lapband make sure that it's for you and you only that your doing it. I've not been succesful along the way, but I realize now that the decision to jump into WLS has to be delibert and selfish. I think it has to be 100% for you, because it's not easy. I believe the band is just step one for becoming a new creature.

In my case hopefully a better creature. When money avails itself again, I shall jump in again. I guess determination and thin go together.

Anyway, good luck again

I don't think the issue is so much what country you have your surgery in, it is who does your surgery. There are excellent doctors who do lap band surgery in Mexico and there are bad ones. The same goes for the U.S. Do your research, ask a lot of questions, and don't be in a hurry. Spend time on this sight, because you will see a lot of recurring themes - (one of which is from people who have problems but can't get them fixed because it is too much of a pain to go back to Mexico to be checked out and nobody in the U.S. wants to treat you for complications with a band someone else put in.) For me, once you figure out if a program is doing a good job, you have to ask yourself if Mexico is the right choice for you because you are going to need several fills in the first year and it could be a pain in the neck, not to mention expensive, to go to Mexico for each of them. So you need to have a plan in place BEFORE you have surgery. Where will you get your fills? How much will fills cost if you get them in the U.S? Where will you go if you have complications after you get home after surgery? Where will you go if you have complications later on down the road? These are important things to figure out, and the time to do it is before surgery not when you are in the middle of a crisis! Hopefully you won't have a crisis, but every once in a while someone does and you need to be prepared.