Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well, I did it and I did it in Mexico!

Doddie63. Please don't reply to my post. You have nothing but rude comments to people who go to Mexico to have their surgery done (I may not respond but I do and have read for a long time), do you think we were all born yesterday, do you think we are stupid about the aftercare part. Please keep away...Thank you for your input but it is not needed here!!

Thanks!

Well, wait a minute. I am a happy bandster who used a Mexican surgeon, but doddie is right. make sure you have those things worked out ahead of time. It will save you aggravation and panic later. In some areas of the country it is harder than in others to find doctors who will help Mexican patients. I can get fills near home and I can easily travel back to Tijuana, so I don't have a problem, but some people might.

I don't want my thread to be a big debate about Mexico or here in Canada, most people know better....I've read too many posts and that is not what I want there..kwim

Well, wait a minute. I am a happy bandster who used a Mexican surgeon, but doddie is right. make sure you have those things worked out ahead of time. It will save you aggravation and panic later. In some areas of the country it is harder than in others to find doctors who will help Mexican patients. I can get fills near home and I can easily travel back to Tijuana, so I don't have a problem, but some people might.

What is it that bothers you so much about people pointing out the need to research after care. I have never been rude just keep stating the need to research the pros and cons. You keep saying how great Mexico is and I have no doubt you are correct, but there are many clinics and doctors who will not take on patients that are not their own. Thus the need for research prior to taking on a contract.

The other thing is, this forum is for all to state experiences and knowledge and pass on research in order for the new potential banders to have a comprehensive knowledge about the band before being banded.

I will say this to you. I will always stress how important it is to ensure aftercare has been carefully researched.

Thanks for that valuable info on Dr. Ortiz! I too will be banded by him, and have been looking for recent opinions of him and his practice.

I am thrilled to tell you all that I am finally banded!! Ahhhh. I was banded on May 29th in Tijuana Mexico by Dr. Ortiz. My experience was exactly how everyone explained it would, no surprises (thank god because I am the most anal person I know). He operates one well oiled machine down there that’s forsure.

When I first started coming to lapbandtalk I noticed a lot of people going down to Mexico, I was baffled as to why someone would go to Tijuana of all places to have surgery, I remember actually joking about it to my husband, I actually recall comparing it to a back ally abortion (sorry if offended) BUT as I read and the more I researched the more I felt like this doctor is the doctor for me…Dr Ortiz… I remember the day of my surgery I was practically hyperventilating in my hospital room, he was walking by and saw this…the guy actually quickly came in my room and calmed my down with casual chit chat, he was in and out of my room numerous times just checking on me and chatting…that made me feel a million times better….he is a wonderful person and doctor. I spent the night in the hospital and was back in my hotel room the next day. I met some wonderful people down there and I am honestly thrilled with my decision. I’m in Calgary and if any of you are wondering about after care and fills and such (I’ve seen a lot of debates) I do have a fill and after care doctor lined up. lol

Well, that’s my story if anyone was wondering…..I did want to add…Julie, thank you for creating CalgaryLapbanders, I read daily…and it is a wealth of unbiased information (I’m Livpai). Also if anyone is interested in going to Mexico for their surgery I highly recommend getting in touch with Andrew from www.medicaledge.ca, he set up everything…totally took the worry out of everything and answered every question and concern I had…awesome guy!

Thanks for reading!!

Heather

Hi;

I live in Vancouver and fills are hard or impossible to find. The doctors seem to want to punish you for going elsewhere. I visit Calgary quite often to visit my kids so the name of your fill doctor would be great.

Thanks Vanman

Did Andrew tell you he was banded by a Canadian clinic and he has his support. What support in Canada was provided to you. Do you have a fill doctor/nurse close by. Have you read postings from banders who have gone to ERs in Ontario and the reception they received? There is no question that Dr. Ortiz is a good surgeon, but what after support does he provide. Many people contemplating going to Mexico would like to read about what aftercare the Mexican clinic provides in canada.

I was banded by Dr. Ortiz on July 7th and am doing very well. When my local dr. suggested I check out Dr. Ortiz I said no way but after my research and speaking to someone who went to Mexico I decided to go with him. It was a good experience. Everything was how they said it would be. So far no regrets. I live in So Cali so Dr. Ortiz is easy for fills. I would recommend Dr. Ortiz to anyone.

Did Andrew tell you he was banded by a Canadian clinic and he has his support. What support in Canada was provided to you. Do you have a fill doctor/nurse close by. Have you read postings from banders who have gone to ERs in Ontario and the reception they received? There is no question that Dr. Ortiz is a good surgeon, but what after support does he provide. Many people contemplating going to Mexico would like to read about what aftercare the Mexican clinic provides in canada.

Doodie,

I have never made it a secret to my clients that I was banded in Canada. My wife however was banded my Dr. Ortiz, after I was banded by a Canadian clinic.

You make a big deal out of aftercare for Mexican patients, as you should, but one of the priorities when I send clients to Mexico is that they have local access to after care. About 50% of my clients return to Mexico for thier aftercare, despite having local access to after care. I have turned away several clients who I have felt did not have close enough access to after care.

I remember a time here Doodie when you were having trouble getting local aftercare. If it were not for Dr. Woodhead taking you on you would be SOL, having to travel back to Toronto for your aftercare so really you were in the same boat after your surgery at a Canadian clinic.

I am not going to wade into the Mexico vs. Canada debate here, it has been beaten to death here.

I think what we have to look at here is that people are taking control of thier lives and their weight through Lapband, irregardless of where they have it done. We also need to remember that Lapband complications requiring surgery are rare.

Aftercare is important, but really for the people that I work with, the clinic is a phone call away, just like those of us in Western Canada who were banded in the Toronto clinics. If anything were to go wrong with ones band they would have to return to their clinic whether it be in Toronto or Mexico so really we are all in the same boat.

Thanks,

Andrew

Edited by Gaffer

My intention was not to slag you Andrew and yes my aftercare was a huge problem. That is why I am making a big deal of it before others fall into the same trap. I have answered 5 recent posts about Mexican patients of Dr. Ortiz who are looking for aftercare. SWLC is setting up fill nurses/doctors across Canada, and TLBC is also trying. With all due respect you are not the only one referring patients to Mexico. They may not be as caring as you are. Also, I am trying to point out the importance of researching after care of ANY long distant patients. For instance, my free fill by TLBC costs me roughly $1,000 per trip and I am very fortuante that Dr. Woodhead took me on. He is no longer accepting any patients from other doctors.

Long distant patients may feel they can afford to fly back to the original province, state or Mexico but what about in the future.

All these things have to be thought out carefully. Many people don't see past the band and even if they do, they don't always see the questions they have to ask.

Critisize me all you like, I will continue to post the importance of after care. Then people can make their own decisions.

Doodie,

I have never made it a secret to my clients that I was banded in Canada. My wife however was banded my Dr. Ortiz, after I was banded by a Canadian clinic.

You make a big deal out of aftercare for Mexican patients, as you should, but one of the priorities when I send clients to Mexico is that they have local access to after care. About 50% of my clients return to Mexico for thier aftercare, despite having local access to after care. I have turned away several clients who I have felt did not have close enough access to after care.

I remember a time here Doodie when you were having trouble getting local aftercare. If it were not for Dr. Woodhead taking you on you would be SOL, having to travel back to Toronto for your aftercare so really you were in the same boat after your surgery at a Canadian clinic.

I am not going to wade into the Mexico vs. Canada debate here, it has been beaten to death here.

I think what we have to look at here is that people are taking control of thier lives and their weight through Lapband, irregardless of where they have it done. We also need to remember that Lapband complications requiring surgery are rare.

Aftercare is important, but really for the people that I work with, the clinic is a phone call away, just like those of us in Western Canada who were banded in the Toronto clinics. If anything were to go wrong with ones band they would have to return to their clinic whether it be in Toronto or Mexico so really we are all in the same boat.

Thanks,

Andrew

Hi all, I'm new and have just scheduled my band for August 15th with Dr Ortiz in TJ.

Fortunately, most of the research was already done for me since my wife got banded by Dr Otiz in February. She is coming down with me in august for a fill and to check out the plastic surgeon. She's already down 60 lbs and into the home stretch.

I have just been advised that the TLBC will be in Victoria British Columbia next month doing fills for not only their patients but others as well. For a fee of course. Just contact TLBC and enquire as to the fee and arrangements. Hope this helps anyone looking for a fill nurse/doctor.

My husband and my parents and I were all banded on May 27th and 29th at Hospital Angeles with Dr. Pedro Kuri... he was excellent and I would do it the same if I had to again.... I would just probably return home the day after surgery instead of staying if I knew it would be that easy.... I know it isn't for everyone, but for me, it was a breeze... I don't think going to Mexico was a whole lot different than having surgery done locally except up here in WA, they often send you home a few hours after surgery.... and you need to make sure you have after care set up, but besides that... it was a great experience. As far as the safety issues in TJ, I believe you are fine as long as you use precautions... I wouldn't be walking around anywhere... we took a taxi way out to Walmart and felt totally safe.... we used a taxi driver named Pepe' and he drove a very old loud car, but was friendly, spoke a little English and knew how to keep you safe... we even had our little 5-1/2 year old daughter with us and felt very safe... I wouldn't walk around the streets though! The hospital and hotel was very safe!

Kammi in Everett, WA

335/305/180

DOB 5/27/08

Dr. Kuri - TJ Mexico

CORRECTION: The TLBC fill nurse will not be doing fills in BC for any patient that is not from the TLBC.

There was a misunderstanding about fills in BC being offered to anyone, but in fact, it was only being offered to Lions Gate Support Group. It was thought the group was all TLBC patients. She had no intention of filling Mexico or others.

Sorry for any misunderstanding.