Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well, I did it and I did it in Mexico!

For those close to the border of Washington... like Vancouver... I have met several banded people from Cananda in that vacinity that come down to NW Fill Management in Arlington, WA for their fills.. the cater to Mexico patients.... if you came through the border near White Rock, Arlington would only be about an hour South.... there is also a doctor in Bellevue, WA that I recently found out about that will also give fills AND aftercare for patients banded elsewhere.... NW Fill Management is $175 for the first fill and then $150 for each thereafter... if you need more fill within 2 weeks, it is only $50 and unfills are free if done by them. They rent a fluroscope for difficult to find ports from another doctor once a month as well for $200 per fill with fluro. The few people that I met from Canada that came down for their fills, come either early in the morning or the night before depending on if they want to stay in a cheap motel for the night.... sometimes they stay the night after the fill to make sure it's not too much or there are not any issues before heading back up there... just thought I would pass on this info since it was being discussed. Just do an internet search for NW Fill Management in Arlington, WA and it is the first link!

Kammi in Everett, WA

Thanks for the comprehensive information. I will pass it on as I get a number of enquiries for a fill nurse/doctor in BC. Doddie

For those close to the border of Washington... like Vancouver... I have met several banded people from Cananda in that vacinity that come down to NW Fill Management in Arlington, WA for their fills.. the cater to Mexico patients.... if you came through the border near White Rock, Arlington would only be about an hour South.... there is also a doctor in Bellevue, WA that I recently found out about that will also give fills AND aftercare for patients banded elsewhere.... NW Fill Management is $175 for the first fill and then $150 for each thereafter... if you need more fill within 2 weeks, it is only $50 and unfills are free if done by them. They rent a fluroscope for difficult to find ports from another doctor once a month as well for $200 per fill with fluro. The few people that I met from Canada that came down for their fills, come either early in the morning or the night before depending on if they want to stay in a cheap motel for the night.... sometimes they stay the night after the fill to make sure it's not too much or there are not any issues before heading back up there... just thought I would pass on this info since it was being discussed. Just do an internet search for NW Fill Management in Arlington, WA and it is the first link!

Kammi in Everett, WA

This is very educational. I am in Vancouver and considering surgery in Mexico, so these posts are quite invaluable for someone who's basically doing this on her own.

I am thrilled to tell you all that I am finally banded!! Ahhhh. I was banded on May 29th in Tijuana Mexico by Dr. Ortiz. My experience was exactly how everyone explained it would, no surprises (thank god because I am the most anal person I know). He operates one well oiled machine down there that’s forsure.

When I first started coming to lapbandtalk I noticed a lot of people going down to Mexico, I was baffled as to why someone would go to Tijuana of all places to have surgery, I remember actually joking about it to my husband, I actually recall comparing it to a back ally abortion (sorry if offended) BUT as I read and the more I researched the more I felt like this doctor is the doctor for me…Dr Ortiz… I remember the day of my surgery I was practically hyperventilating in my hospital room, he was walking by and saw this…the guy actually quickly came in my room and calmed my down with casual chit chat, he was in and out of my room numerous times just checking on me and chatting…that made me feel a million times better….he is a wonderful person and doctor. I spent the night in the hospital and was back in my hotel room the next day. I met some wonderful people down there and I am honestly thrilled with my decision. I’m in Calgary and if any of you are wondering about after care and fills and such (I’ve seen a lot of debates) I do have a fill and after care doctor lined up. lol

Well, that’s my story if anyone was wondering…..I did want to add…Julie, thank you for creating CalgaryLapbanders, I read daily…and it is a wealth of unbiased information (I’m Livpai). Also if anyone is interested in going to Mexico for their surgery I highly recommend getting in touch with Andrew from www.medicaledge.ca, he set up everything…totally took the worry out of everything and answered every question and concern I had…awesome guy!

Thanks for reading!!

Heather

Heather,

Who in Calgary is doing fills for Mexican patients? I am also hoping to book in with Dr. Ortiz but I really want a fill doc first.

Thanks so much!

Danielle

Hello everyone!

Congratulations on getting your bands, I am very excitted to be looking into this!

Due to costs I am wanting to go to Mexico and have Dr. Ortiz do the surgery. I have read nothing but good things about this doc and clinic.

I have a question though...I know I will have to answer this when my family is apprehensive about me going to do this in Mexico. What happens if something goes wrong with the surgery? Do you end up in a low end Mexican hospital? Would you have to pay big bucks to get fixed?

Just thought I would ask in case anyone else has looked into this. I plan on asking the OCC but I would like more then one view on this.

THanks everyone!

Danielle

Hi Dannylu

My wife and I were banded at the OCC last year. Their facility looked like a complete OR. I imagine they can handle most situations on the table then get you stable for transport.

One of the positive about banding in general, is that the surgery is alot less invasive than other wls. I'm not sure what the complication rate is but I doubt many patients die on the table.

But definately check with the OCC, you need to be very comfortable with the decision.

Good luck.