Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Clinic Support Sites

Who logs in an regularly checks their clinic websites and support centres (TLBC and SWLC are the only two in Canada i know of with this service offered) ?

If you do use it what attracts you and why do you love it?

And if you don't what would make you use it more....?

I have to admit I log in once in a blue moon but not very often being 6+ years out I find it hard enough to read here and the Canadian Lapbanders so I tend to ignore my clinic's sites. I rarely go for fills mostly defills and then I only see my surgeon since I am a walking complication and I enjoy comparing notes with him... I never even go to my clinic... I don't know the staff other than one or two from a social occasion and have no desire to know them.

But I also know my situation is radically different than most people they still go to their clinics for fills and see the nurses over the surgeons and get the advice etc.. but since I have been at goal since long before the clinic even opened there isn't much they can do for me or advice they can offer me.

HEather

Who can even get hold of anyone at TLBC to ask for support. Leave a message and they will return your call????? Can't get on the web site for info... was given the wrong pw.....still waiting for new one??? Was banded June 28 and not impressed with post- op service? There has been none. Lucky for me I have good contacts on this site for support and encouragement.

Oh dear. I'm sorry you are feeling neglected. Did you call

Daryl at 800.409.8151 x328? She's the nurse manager.

When I had my surgery, Maral called me every day for the first few days after my surgery to check up on me. Don't they do that anymore?

Daryl is excellent in reponding to questions. And the other day I called to confirm my corrective surgery and received a call back quickly. There is no questions, there are some communication problems in some areas. Appears return calls/messages are selective according to the eimployee.

Heather,

I love love love SWLC patient forum. It's by far my favourite place for band support because we all have the same rules to follow. We all deal with the same people at the clinic so it's much easier to support and receive support from people that are all dealing with the same instructions and same staff. Since I'm one of the longest banded for SWLC, I like to be able to give them experience first hand from someone who has been there and I find it very easy to offer support when I know my own clinic and their guidelines inside out. When I am looking for support on issues that only longer bandsters, such as yourself, can offer up then I post on Canadian Lapbanders to get your feedback. I'm not sure if I'll always be as active on my own clinic forum but for now I feel it's a way of paying it forward to all the newbies just starting out with a million and one questions. I am close to starting on my plastic surgery adventure and will be more than happy to share that with the people that are getting close as well. Perhaps once I'm finally at the end of the big adventures of banding, I might back off and just drop in now and then to offer some advice. For now, I am one of the few longer banded patients that offer advice so until more have experience under their belts, I will stick around. We have almost 1000 members so it's quite active and probably more active than the yahoo group or this board so I tend to sign in there more often than anywhere else and am constantly posting there since it's so much more active. It's good to have options since we all get different things from different boards.

Heather,

I love love love SWLC patient forum. It's by far my favourite place for band support because we all have the same rules to follow. We all deal with the same people at the clinic so it's much easier to support and receive support from people that are all dealing with the same instructions and same staff. Since I'm one of the longest banded for SWLC, I like to be able to give them experience first hand from someone who has been there and I find it very easy to offer support when I know my own clinic and their guidelines inside out. When I am looking for support on issues that only longer bandsters, such as yourself, can offer up then I post on Canadian Lapbanders to get your feedback. I'm not sure if I'll always be as active on my own clinic forum but for now I feel it's a way of paying it forward to all the newbies just starting out with a million and one questions. I am close to starting on my plastic surgery adventure and will be more than happy to share that with the people that are getting close as well. Perhaps once I'm finally at the end of the big adventures of banding, I might back off and just drop in now and then to offer some advice. For now, I am one of the few longer banded patients that offer advice so until more have experience under their belts, I will stick around. We have almost 1000 members so it's quite active and probably more active than the yahoo group or this board so I tend to sign in there more often than anywhere else and am constantly posting there since it's so much more active. It's good to have options since we all get different things from different boards.

Tracey,

Thanks I know you are active on SWLC I am not sure if TLBC had an option for posting etc earlier I would have been active on that or not in my case I think it just came a little later I used to go on and post the monthly lunches but overall I don't do a lot of posting on it or reading.

H

Hi: TLBC does has their own website that has been upgraded to include TLBC bandsters. They have also included a Q&A section that they actively answer. This is how I got the appointment to have my port corrected. I flew into Toronto on Wed and back home on Friday. the website is not actively used. I think because the TLBC has so many local support group meetings. Long distance patients for some reason chose not to use the site.

Doddie,

I think it just really depends on the people. SWLC has a local support meeting as well but most of those people actively participate as well on the forum board. TLBC has a lot of long time banded people that probably really don't need the support anymore whereas SWLC has only been banding for over 3 years and the board has been available since almost the beginning so all their patients are told about it. Ours is super active with almost 1000 members already. I'm sure if TLBC sends out emails to those that have left their email addy with them and told them to check it out, they might get more traffic. It's fairly new still so give it time and it might get busier. It took ours a good year to get super busy.