Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to do with drunk drivers?

Thats crazy Snuffy! What is the normal punishment for first offense here? Anyone know?

It really depends upon your location. Here, in Indiana, for a first offense it's a Class C Misdemeanor if the BAC is between 0.08 or 0.15, and a Class A Misdemeanor if the BAC is above 0.15.

The person can lose their license between 6 months and 2 years, pay a countermeasures fee of between $200 and $1000, and could face up to 60 days in jail for the class C Misdemeanor, and up to 1 year in jail for the Class A. Usually, it results in probation and not a long jail sentence for a first offense. As part of the probation, there will be Community Service Work, which in my county would be Road Crew.

I've got a friend who just got his third DUI. He's been sitting in jail for over a month so far, and has another 6 weeks to go before his trial date. He won't have a license at all when he gets out. Ever again. I like the guy, but he has a definite problem. He's now lost his $100,000 a year job as a result of this arrest.

I've got a friend who just got his third DUI. He's been sitting in jail for over a month so far, and has another 6 weeks to go before his trial date. He won't have a license at all when he gets out. Ever again. I like the guy, but he has a definite problem. He's now lost his $100,000 a year job as a result of this arrest.

I'm delighted. One less killer on the road.

A little Different Approach

If you believe that Alcoholism is a disease and not a weakness of character, then it should be treated the same as other illnesses.

Here in Ontario if you have a seizure (epileptic or otherwise) you immediately lose your license. Then YOU have to prove that you have been seizure free for period of time. This is proven by test results and a doctors letter sent directly to the Ministry of Transportation.

This would be easy to implement, and the costs associated with testing and proving that they have been alcohol free, rests with the drunk driver.

I agree that this would be a great way to keep the streets a bit safer. It would also help encourage alcoholics into treatment. Remember, there are a great number of DUI/DWI's who come from those who are not alcoholic but people simply making poor decisions. Either way, it's a good idea.

A little Different Approach

If you believe that Alcoholism is a disease and not a weakness of character, then it should be treated the same as other illnesses.

I did just want to share though that alcoholism is a disease, medically and scientifically. I find your implication that alcoholism is caused by weakness of character rather ignorant. I pulled this definition for you....

To establish a more precise use of the term alcoholism, a 23-member multidisciplinary committee of the National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence and the American Society of Addiction Medicine conducted a 2-year study of the definition of alcoholism in the light of current concepts. The goals of the committee were to create by consensus a revised definition that is (1) scientifically valid, (2) clinically useful, and (3) understandable by the general public. Therefore, the committee agreed to define alcoholism as a primary, chronic disease with genetic, psychosocial, and environmental factors influencing its development and manifestations. The disease is often progressive and fatal. It is characterized by impaired control over drinking, preoccupation with the drug alcohol, use of alcohol despite adverse consequences, and distortions in thinking, most notably denial. Each of these symptoms may be continuous or periodic

I'm delighted. One less killer on the road.

No, he's not a killer. As a drunk driver, he had the potential to be a killer, but he never killed anyone. He might have, but thank goodness he never did.

Once he gets out, he'll be on probation with one of the other officers in my department. I want him to do well, but I hate the thought that he was on the same streets where my kids and their friends drive.

Where I live in NW New Mexico, we border the Navajo Indian Reservation. It is illegal to sell alcohol on the reservation, so there are hundreds of drunk drivers every night, trying to get home to the reservation----our DWI rates are horendous!!! It is not unusual to see in the paper someone arrested for their 10th or even 15th DWI----and those are the reported ones, off the reservation, ones they get on the reservation, do not count against them, and often times, the mere fact they live there, and are of Native American descent---changes how they are sentenced and charged.

It is horrible!!

Kat

Pearlygirl

I do not believe that Alcoholism is a weakness of character. I thought that would be clear by the tone of my post that I believe alcoholism is a disease. I apologize if it was not clear.

I would have preferred if you would have asked me to clarify my position before calling me ignorant.

I say we stick all the drunk drivers in one town surround it with locked gates and let them kill eachother off :P

Almost every car accident here has alcohol involved. :P

I'm kind of wondering what made Maincat bring this up in the first place if he had lost a loved one to a drunk driver or something?? Anyone else curious?

I say we stick all the drunk drivers in one town surround it with locked gates and let them kill eachother off :thumbup:

Are you running for dictator froggie?:P

no......:P