Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WISH CENTER! I found out! They called me back!

Okay, first let me say that the WISH center in Phoeninx has NO CLUE what they are doing based on my 15 minute phone conversation!!

This is how it went.(warning: gonna be a bit long).... I got a call at about 10 am. I got another call seconds later and I went to answer the other line and accidentally hung up on the WISH center call. AAARGH! So I got to caller ID and call them back (local #). I talk to the receptionist and tell her I was "just talking to someone about the Lap Band fill program" and would like to speak to them again.

She has NO IDEA what I am talking about and says "we don't do anything like that here". I tell her that I was just talking to someone about it. She puts me on hold and asks the 'office manager' and comes back to confirm that she "even confirmed with the office manager that we don't do anything like that and that I must have the wrong #". I tell her that I dialed this # by caller ID and confirm that it is the WISH center. She acknowledges but says, "but I am sorry, we don't have any fill program here, you might want to call corporate." I tell her that I have already started to speak to someone in that office about the program just 2 minutes ago and just want to speak to them again. She says "well ma'am, if our office manager doesn't know anything about it I am sure that she knows what she is saying". Just before I start to COMPLETELY boil over she says "hold on" and transfers me to the woman I had talked to first. Geez!! I ask.... your operator and your office manager don't know you have a LapBand fill program??? She says that "no one really uses it and we don't have anyone in the program". What??? I ask.. how long have you had the program? She says, "1 year". Huh??? Okay, whatever, on to the information. She asks me if I have an Inamed band with a band ID card. I say yes... it is a BioEcentrics LB ID with a 9.75/10 cm band with a max fill volume of 4cc. She then tells me.. "oh we can't help you because we only take Inamed patients". Huh again? It ISSSSSSSS an Inamed band. She has to confirm with someone else (don't know who). Thennnnnn, she tells me ok we can accept that. (uhhh, I would think SOOOO dummy!). In any case she continues to tell me that their 'requirements' are strict. They have 'requirements' online and I have seen them. Well... seems that their pre requirements aren't listed all that accurately!! Before you can get into their "program" you have to go pay for yourself and have an Upper GI done. (uh, no thanks). Thennnnnnnnnn, you have to go through some nutritionalist to 'learn to eat with the band' and support groups. (ummm, I ALREADY have the band remember? it is one of your requirements to be 6 weeks out!!). THEN she tells me the price of fills. She tells me that it is $500 for the first fill, then $100 every fill after that. BUT.... (there is always one of those) the fills are never under flouro (she didn't know what flouro meant when I asked she thought it was something like laproscopic) and you must also attend monthly support group meetings to stay current. (unreal) She says they have had the program but no one has joined it yet (as I picture some blonde bobbing her head from one shoulder to another at this point). I tell her I won't be interested in her program or the WISH center and that if someone isn't knowledgable to answer the SIMPLIST of questions (without having me explain it and have her go 'ohhhhh') there is no way I will go to them for fills. They would probably make me into a pin cushion!

SOOOOOOO, after 4 messages of trying trying trying to get ahold of them, my escapade with the operator and office manager, my trials with the fill program rep, my explaining to her what a lap band is basically, finding out about their secret requirements (upper GI ick! support groups mandatory ho hum!).... my opinion is this.... THERE IS NO WAY I WOULD EVER GO TO THEM.

Geez. why would I need to go to another support group and be FORCED to participate when I have all of you fine people here???? I now know why they have NO ONE in their "out of county/mexico fill program". Uhhhh, DUH!

ohhhhh, and I did call back just to ask the receptionist about the 10,500 band price in Chicago that is floating around... she says to me "oh honey that was the problem, you are calling Phoenix. ((I am going to tear out hair here!!)) After I have to explain that I knowwwww where I am calling and that I am IN phoenix and KNOW i called a local number I tell her I was just curious about the price of installing the band in the first place. She then says... are you ready for this???? "ohhhhh, so you want another band?" That is it, I was done. I am exhausted!

So here was my one and only conversation with WISH center staff(after trying for over a month to get ahold of them). You deduct your own opinions please. As for me.... I am sticking with Mexico for the fills. It is cheaper, less hassle and they know the answers to basic questions even in an accent!

JEEEEZZZZ!!!! What an ordeal!!! Im glad u did the research and not me though!!! Sounds like u saved me a month of trouble....thats y i luv ya!! :D

OMG LOL, I cannot believe that..

You are trooper to have stayed on that long with them and over all explain what they should have know.

Man, I hate it but I am scared of US docs when it comes to the Lap Band!!! I know, I know, the good ones are out there, and I haven't even seen my local guy yet, so how would I know? But there is SO much to know about this little device and I am much more apt to trust my MX doc!!! I sure did with the surgery. I can't imagine those yoohooos operating on me?!!!! Just think! SURELY the Wish Center in Chicago has it together better than that.

But for me, flying to Chicago from North Carolina is just as expensive and time-consuming as flying to Mexico, so I'm going with experience if I'm getting on a plane. Maybe fill days in TJ are cattle calls but in my book, the longest line just may be the best one to be in.

Wow, I was planning on using the WISH Center one day in the future when I actually had a port.

But I won't go back to Mexico. I'd rather go to Ventura to see Dr. Billy, or I'd even travel to Texas at this point since it seems there are so many Texas girls that are thrilled with their surgeons. Or Portland for that matter! Or Utah. OR ALASKA!

Yeah, Dr Billy!!!!!! (SIGH) He's smart, nice, kind, helpful, very cute, and a knight in shining armour! I need to wrestle me up a Dr Billy here in NC. I'll let ya'll know if I find one!

Dr. Hennessey here in Lewistown MT will do fills for patients with bands from mexico. don't know if this helps any, having lived in phoenix all my life (except last 4 years) just know that is how it is. anyway dr. hennessey is awsome. he cares about the patient and their success. if you want more info let me know. maybe flight into Greatfalls is better price.

yeah, but can they beat a $100 flouro fill price? I haven't seen anyone doing that. I pay $98 for my flight and $100 for the fill and have a 50 minute flight. I fly there in the morning and will fly back at night.

So total cost for a fill is only $225 (including everything.....fill, transportation/transfers, food, airfare)

I just don't think I will find a US doc that will beat this price and I am a poor (and i mean dirt poor) working girl these days. Maybe when I get back on my feet from the cost of the band itself. (that put a dent in the bank account!)

I don't know if Chicago is the same. I do know that those working at Phx WISH center are idgets! And I am now HIGHLY suspect of a $10,500 surgery in Chicago. (I don't trust it)

man, i can't believe how long I stayed on the phone either!?!?!?! I guess they were entertaining me in sorts. Plus, they woke me up from my graveyard shift sleep!!! urghhh!

Jenna,

I went through the exact same experience with the WISH Center in San Antonio today!! I left 5 voice mails and sent 2 emails and never got a response. Finally I decided to try one last time this morning and got an actual human being on the phone. They transferred me to 3 different people and told me the whole bit about the UGI and the 499 initiation fee etc. etc.!!!! They seemed completely disorganized and out of sorts!

I'm with you, I just looked on line and I can get a ticket to TJ for $349 and feel alot better about the whole thing!

I did go to Houston once to get a fill from Dr. Spiegel. It was about 3 1/2 weeks ago and I don't have any restriction so I called to go back for a touch more. All of a sudden he's no longer seeing "Mexican banded" patients. I said I had already been there once for a fill, have not had a single problem with my band, etc. and they said nope, sorry!!

Well I'm off to Dr. Ortiz next week and I'm sure I'll be much better off!

Monica

TOOOO Funny Jenna- I was pulling my hair out just reading what you had to go through- How totally incompetant(spelling?) they were. Darn I wish we had spell check!

Thanks for the research. Where do I send my quarter?? LOL