Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm having the same problem Starrr...When I asked the Dr's office they said to make sure to take a daily Vitamin. Beyond that, Nioxin (hair product?) is supposed to help thicken. They also said go to local GNC or whatever you have and ask for a hair/nails supplement. Good luck and i hope it gets better!

Oh yes, also remember that if you're under a lot of stress, that could be contributing to the hair loss!

Well, this topic has been touched on several times.

But ....

I'm a year out and still losing hair. I'm on maintenance, ...not supposed to be happening now.

But- it doesn't look bad yet. I don't comb my hair but 2x a week. I know, I know...but I wash it, condition well, and then put it in a bun. I went to the hairshop for a trim and she combed it for the first time in a week...tons of hair in the comb.

oh well.

I had a lot of breakage for a while there, still not sure it was weight loss related, it came about a year after my surgery and I had had bio-ionic straightening done about four months after surgery - it could just have been chemical damage.

Anyway, I thought hair loss,it has finally struck me, but it was BREAKING off, not falling out.

Very intensive work with Redken CAT, and the Redken Extreme range, super strengthening Protein based, with tons of moisturising treatments as well (because strengthening Protein shampoos can make your hair feel dry/tacky) virtually EVERY Shampoo for months, followed by a very big hair cut, and switching to an ionic hairdryer and bioionic straightener (these things seriously IMPROVE your hair, they're quite miraculous) and it improved for me, 12 months later my hair has totally recovered and I dont have those flyaway broken bits all over my head.

But whatever, my nutrition was and always has been good, I wasnt deficient in anything, I get enough protein despite being not being protein focussed, I didnt change anything and my hair still improved. I think its just something a lot of us have to grin and bear for a while.

You must have an Protein intake of at least 70 grams per day to prevent Hair loss. I was losing hair badly, but when I found this out and started taking whey protein and other protein products, my hair loss stopped.

BIOTIN:

I also take Biotin for my skin, hair and nails as an extra B supplement. I use NOW Biotin purchased at my local health food store. This is what it looks like. It's in a very small, easily swallowed capsule. I started taking biotin 6 months before I had my lap band surgery and I know it's helped.

NOW Foods - Biotin 1000 mcg - 100 Caps

You can buy this in a local health food store, GNC or online. Now brand is a good brand. and it's not real expensive either.

Guest ZenGarden

For those who are experiencing hair loss: are you getting adequate daily Protein intake? You should be intaking at least 65 grams of lean protein (animal, soy, or dairy) on a daily basis to help reduce the risk of Hair loss. You guys should also be on a daily multi Vitamin (I take two Flintstones Complete per day) as well as a calcium citrate supplement (1000 MG per day).

You may want to begin taking an extra dose of Biotin, which promotes hair and nail growth. Hope this helps...

Guest ZenGarden

Sorry for the Biotin double-post; I should have read the entire thread before posting.

I went to Wal-Mart and got 1000mg Biotin by Spring Valley and find it small enough to tolerate. They had 5000mg Biotin, but I couldn't see in the bottle; I was afraid they'd liken horse pills. Does anybody know how big they are?

You can also experience hair loss due to lack of Iron, lack of

B's or generalised malnutrition. Protein alone wont always solve or prevent it.

My hair dresser says it's from the decrease of the fat in our diets - I had a gf who didn't have surgery just did medifast - got her protien but still lost tons of hair - she had cut out most fats.

I have been lucky - no Hair loss and I have decreased my fat intake but have not eliminated it all together (now healthy fats in moderation).

Makes sense to me - no one ever talks about the fat issue.

My hair dresser says it's from the decrease of the fat in our diets - I had a gf who didn't have surgery just did medifast - got her protien but still lost tons of hair - she had cut out most fats.

I have been lucky - no Hair loss and I have decreased my fat intake but have not eliminated it all together (now healthy fats in moderation).

Makes sense to me - no one ever talks about the fat issue.

I agree about the fat. I've tried to keep a healthy balance of fat in my diet and I'm not losing any hair. I wash my hair every other day, but my hair is chemically treated and I curl it every day (I can't live without my curling iron!), so I know I put my hair through its paces!

My hair dresser has me using Nioxin and that seems to help as well. Like I said I only wash it every other day so I know that helps fight the hair loss as well. My hair dresser said most people can go three days without washing their hair, but due to the products that most put in their hair (I love hair spray - I have big hair!) washing our hair every other day is typically good enough.

Anyway, I agree on the fat issue. Healthy fat is essential.