Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is too tight bad?

I had a fill roughly 4 weeks ago, i'm at 2 cc's now. I've been having a tough time with foods, particularly in the mornings. I have to do mushies until the late afternoon then can usually do more solid food. I don't really complain because it's nice only needing a little bit of food to fill me up. But I have been (we'll call it spitting up) food if i get that full feeling and my body rejects the food sitting on top of the band. I have never thrown up a full meal.

so what do you think? I've been playing around with different foods to see what works, My body has accepted the band but believe it or not my mind still forgets so i don't always make the best choices.

Any advice?

I had my last fill on april 28. I definetly can tell the band is tight. At times I get indigestion and discomfort but not all of the time. I am trying to decide if it is a case of what I am eating isn't agreeing with the band, or that i have ate too fast or maybe the band is a little too tight. It has been 4 weeks since my fill so I would think the band is just doing its job. has anyone had a rough time with fills? this is my 3rd fill and i had no problems with the first 2. any ideas for me?

Yes, too tight can be bad. If you are pb'ing (productive burping, which is what the mini-vomiting is) all the time, you can damage your esophagus and cause your band to slip.

It isn't always easy to tell when you are too tight. I've done this too, and it's either time for a slight unfill or time to be very, very careful of what you are eating, how fast you are eating, and how well your are chewing. Pbing as often as a couple times a week is too much.

If you're pbing with any regularity you're too tight. Also being only able to do mushies would concern me - after a while, its so so easy to slip into eating junk foods - ice cream, chocolate, Cookies etc. It can be really hard finding the balance between good appetite control from your band and being too tight, but its always better to err on the side of being looser and follow traditional dieting tactics like filling up on salad, steamed veges and fruit, etc. Then follow with a strict no eating between meals rule, that always works for me.

Being too tight is thought to be not good for your band - there's not proof but credible opinion that you run the risk of streching out your pouch, slipping and eroding by being very tight for a very long time. And once you start mucking around taking Fluid in and out to get it right, then it seems very common to struggle with this forever after. If you can stay looser and leave your band alone, avoid constant fills and unjfills you'll be better off.

That doesnt mean you have to be really loose so the band is hardly helping you though. And it might be better to commit to a few weeks or even a month or two of extreme caution with your band to lose a bit more weight and loosen it off than it is to unfill it as long as you're not PBing all the time.

it is quite common to be tight until noon time. If you are losing and want to live with that this is okay, otherwise you need a slight unfill. How much can you consume at once?

If you're to tight, you may not be taking in enough calories. Either you cant get it down, or your do and it comes back up. If you get to few calories you're actually SLOWING DOWN your weight loss. In this case, less is not more. When you consume to few calories, your body's metabolism slows down to compensate. When it slows down, it's not as effective at burning calories. You want to try and increase or maintain a metabolism. Slowing it down is counter productive. Exercise increases a metabolism as well as regular consumption of quality calories. that's why starvation diets never work. You gain it all back and then some. That's because you have decreased your metabolic rate. So being to tight is counter productive. Not to mention dangerous and NOT HEALTHY.