Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

yahoo!!! I did it!! I hit 75 lbs gone forever this morning!!

Also my rec center in my community is having a biggest loser contest. Guess who won this week!!! YAHOO!!! I won a free hair cut and style for myself and 4 friends.

Ellen & Becky, So sorry to hear you are having such troubles with getting fills. Does only your dr. give them? My office has a fill nurse and she does most of the fills, in fact the surgeon gave me the last one and he asked her how much to give me. But she's much easier to get in to see. Is that a possibility? Or are there fill centers near you or another place you can go? .5cc at a time seems really cautious. My first fill was 3cc's and most of the other ones have been 1cc, I have had a couple .5 ones but that was later in the process. It will come with future fills, but I know how you feel in wanting the restriction now. I hope you get some help sooner rather than later.

Ditto what Lori says. I don't understand that kind of caution. Why have a band if you can't use it? I think I would be checking to see if fills can be done anywhere else, but understand that isn't an option for everyone (also understand you have probably already thought of that!).

Dear Becky, I am in your position and I feel exactly the way you do. NO, I am NOT asking that the band do EVERYTHING!!!! However, I DO expect the Dr. to provide fills that provide the type of restriction I read about here, restriction that "helps" me on this journey. I feel that I can eat everything and anything, which is where I was when I lost the 30-35 pounds BEFORE the surgery.

And Cedars billed my insurance company over $50,000 for this surgery, so I ABSOLUTELY feel that I shouldn't have to wait two months for my second fill, especially after the first did NOTHING. I am sad and frustrated. The only thing I am grateful for is that I am gaining and losing ONLY 3 -5 pounds. It could be more; but it's not the band that's helping me, at all.

I tried taking Janet's advice and calling to ask for a more timely fill, but no luck. And it wasn't the insurance co. that was putting me off, it was the doctor. He had a vacation, a conference, too many bookings, etc. I ABSOLUTELY expected more support!!! I am so sad, I could just cry; in fact, I have cried - a lot!!! Love, Ellen

Hmmm... I was in this position probably more than once the first couple of months after my surgery. I started crying on the phone once! HOnest, I DID NOT do it to manipulate them.... it just happened! But it got me an appointment! I'm not suggesting you try that, but beg, if you haeve to! At my doctor's office, the response you get is sometimes determined by whoever it is on the other end of the phone! When this person exercised a little compassion on my behalf and managed to "fit me in" to the doctor's tight schedule, then every time after that I asked to speak to that specific person! IMHO, fills should be once a month until you can get to that "sweet spot", and my doctor's office routinely puts in 1cc every fill. I know others say 1/2 cc, but, at least at the beginning they should be a little more generous! Makes you wonder, is he being THAT conservative, or is it all about $$$$!!!?? No offense, please. Don't mean to criticize your doctor at all, so please don't take that personally. Just my (probably outspoken) opinion.

I had a such a run in with my doctor refusing to do my second fill that I haven't even gone back yet. That negative response from him threw me for a loop and I gained. I have been through a lot lately that has kept me from going back, but I am going to call him in a few weeks and see what he tells me and if he's negative again and refuses me a fill, then I already have the name of another doctor to contact and hopefully I can get him to take me as a patient.

Hmmm... I was in this position probably more than once the first couple of months after my surgery. I started crying on the phone once! HOnest, I DID NOT do it to manipulate them.... it just happened! But it got me an appointment! I'm not suggesting you try that, but beg, if you haeve to! At my doctor's office, the response you get is sometimes determined by whoever it is on the other end of the phone! When this person exercised a little compassion on my behalf and managed to "fit me in" to the doctor's tight schedule, then every time after that I asked to speak to that specific person! IMHO, fills should be once a month until you can get to that "sweet spot", and my doctor's office routinely puts in 1cc every fill. I know others say 1/2 cc, but, at least at the beginning they should be a little more generous! Makes you wonder, is he being THAT conservative, or is it all about $$$$!!!?? No offense, please. Don't mean to criticize your doctor at all, so please don't take that personally. Just my (probably outspoken) opinion.

I was telling my husband about the posts here of folks who had a hard time getting fills and how conservative some docs seemed. First thing he mentioned was the money. If the fills were free or had to be paid for. So not sure if you are on to something there. I understand that this may not be the reason folks here aren't getting fills. Not in any way accusing anyone's specific dr.

Janet --

You will see this when you come back. I'm so sorry to hear about this terrible shock and loss. It's just almost too much to comprehend when we lose someone that we love. One minute they are there and the next they are gone and it's just so hard --and so painful to take in. I'm thinking of you and my heart goes out to you. I know a bunch of words can't make you feel better --but If it helps at all to know that other people really care about you--then look at this board and know that we care and are thinking of you.

Well hi to all tonight (Wed). I ate lightly today since the fill yesterday. Mostly mushie. I have had that thought that the Dr. wants the money. My insurance company pays for my fills but My drs nurse and his nutrionist has had this conversation with patients countless times as they have told me. They have both told me that he is very hard headed about giving fills and makes the patient work as hard as they can without fill. He doesn't have a very good bedside manner if ya know but I have been told that he is an excellent surgeon in general and he really knows his stuff. He is not a believer in the lap band and he is the one that brought that program to that Hospital Center of Excellence. He keeps telling me that I will only loose about 50 lbs out of the 100 I want to loose. I have a question. I have 1.2cc, .5cc, .5cc = 2.2cc total. As each one of these fills are put in, does this continually build up until you get to your sweet spot? Does the band get tighter and tighter as it goes along. Or, does this give the same restriction each time up until the end. What I am wondering is will I eventually get to a sweet spot, even going slow?

Beckyo

Well hi to all tonight (Wed). I ate lightly today since the fill yesterday. Mostly mushie. I have had that thought that the Dr. wants the money. My insurance company pays for my fills but My drs nurse and his nutrionist has had this conversation with patients countless times as they have told me. They have both told me that he is very hard headed about giving fills and makes the patient work as hard as they can without fill. He doesn't have a very good bedside manner if ya know but I have been told that he is an excellent surgeon in general and he really knows his stuff. He is not a believer in the lap band and he is the one that brought that program to that Hospital Center of Excellence. He keeps telling me that I will only loose about 50 lbs out of the 100 I want to loose. I have a question. I have 1.2cc, .5cc, .5cc = 2.2cc total. As each one of these fills are put in, does this continually build up until you get to your sweet spot? Does the band get tighter and tighter as it goes along. Or, does this give the same restriction each time up until the end. What I am wondering is will I eventually get to a sweet spot, even going slow?

Beckyo

Yes each fill adds to the total that was in the band before. Before my fill, the nurse always withdraws what was in there to be sure it's all still in there and that there was no leak. then she adds the new fill. I got 4ccs at surgery, then 3, then .5, then 1, then 1, then .5 or something like that, it says in my signature I think. I am at 10cc's, I have a large band. But the amount isn't so important it's how you feel. You should definitely get to some sort of 'sweet spot' eventually. However, one thing to keep in mind is that as you lose weight your band gets looser. They explained to me that there is a fat pad layer over your stomach and your band is also over this fat layer. As you lose weight that fat shrinks or disappears making the band looser. This is why I was tight for awhile after my previous fill and why I got looser again and needed another fill. Hope I am explaining it right. Can the nurse give you a fill? Or can she only give one if the dr. says she can? Why would he do the surgery if he didn't believe in it? Does he believe in bypass more? I've heard that's common with dr's.

Beckyo

Dr. Davis is conservative too. I had thought he would be aggressive since he wanted me to only eat a half a cup of food six times a day. He also favors bypass for those with a higher BMI. I need a sweet spot too. After PBing yesterday I realized I do have restriction, but not enough to be satisfied with a half a cup. I have a 10cc band with 3 fills and 3cc. I go on Monday for a fourth, and have an appt for November. Hopefully, when we get a couple more cc's in our bands we will start feeling satisfied. I do have an issue with head hunger and eating too fast. I am still thankful for the band. It did take away the gnawing hunger I would get, and then shovel all kind of bad food in my pie hole. For myself, usually when I get 90 days into a diet or weight loss journey I start falling back into old habits. Thank God, I have all of you for support. Support is vital to success. Hang in there! We WILL reach our goal!:D:thumbup::thumbup:

Beckyo

Yes each fill adds to the total that was in the band before. Before my fill, the nurse always withdraws what was in there to be sure it's all still in there and that there was no leak. then she adds the new fill. I got 4ccs at surgery, then 3, then .5, then 1, then 1, then .5 or something like that, it says in my signature I think. I am at 10cc's, I have a large band. But the amount isn't so important it's how you feel. You should definitely get to some sort of 'sweet spot' eventually. However, one thing to keep in mind is that as you lose weight your band gets looser. They explained to me that there is a fat pad layer over your stomach and your band is also over this fat layer. As you lose weight that fat shrinks or disappears making the band looser. This is why I was tight for awhile after my previous fill and why I got looser again and needed another fill. Hope I am explaining it right. Can the nurse give you a fill? Or can she only give one if the dr. says she can? Why would he do the surgery if he didn't believe in it? Does he believe in bypass more? I've heard that's common with dr's.

You explained that very well! Exactly what I would have said, IF I could ever get online!! :laugh:

As for the comments that LapBand patients only lose about 50% of their excess weight..... we're here to prove that theory WRONG!! RIGHT????

YOU BET WE ARE!!!

I'm already a little past the 1/2 way point, and within shouting distance of a 100 lb loss!! I'm plotting my reward. I'm thinking a diamond stud for the top of my left ear!!

See how our thinking changes??? NO food REWARD!!

Dr. Davis is conservative too. I had thought he would be aggressive since he wanted me to only eat a half a cup of food six times a day. He also favors bypass for those with a higher BMI. I need a sweet spot too. After PBing yesterday I realized I do have restriction, but not enough to be satisfied with a half a cup. I have a 10cc band with 3 fills and 3cc. I go on Monday for a fourth, and have an appt for November. Hopefully, when we get a couple more cc's in our bands we will start feeling satisfied. I do have an issue with head hunger and eating too fast. I am still thankful for the band. It did take away the gnawing hunger I would get, and then shovel all kind of bad food in my pie hole. For myself, usually when I get 90 days into a diet or weight loss journey I start falling back into old habits. Thank God, I have all of you for support. Support is vital to success. Hang in there! We WILL reach our goal!:wink2::thumbup::laugh:

YES WE WILL!!!!

4_17_211.gif 36_2_68.gif 4_17_211.gif

Phyl, I am so sorry to hear about Janet's brother. Please tell her Pj is praying for her and her family. Will miss her. I would like to send her a card also. I have been ill plus my hubby just got out of the hospital, so I just got the news.

I caught a 24 hr bug. I was so sick with dirrehea, and dry heaves. It was horrible. Hubby called Lab Band Dr. and I finally was sent some medicine to stop the heaves after about 4 hrs. Today if I cough or laugh I hurt so bad. Everyone needs to have some medicine on hand if this ever happens to you. He sent me suppositories and dry heaves disappeared. Will always keep this medicine on hand. Ask you Dr about it in case you get a bug.

thanks everyone for all of your support. I appreciate your thoughts on all of these matters. today is Thursday evening. I had the .5cc fill on Tues. This morning I made small portion of egg beaters. Guess What! I got stuck. On an egg for crying out loud. I took two or three bites and that was the end of that. thats a first. Maybe this fill is settling in a little bit better. I haven't been hungry today at all until this evening. And ya know what! I am going to loose my weight once and for all. We are all in this together.

Beckyo:tt1:

thanks everyone for all of your support. I appreciate your thoughts on all of these matters. today is Thursday evening. I had the .5cc fill on Tues. This morning I made small portion of egg beaters. Guess What! I got stuck. On an egg for crying out loud. I took two or three bites and that was the end of that. thats a first. Maybe this fill is settling in a little bit better. I haven't been hungry today at all until this evening. And ya know what! I am going to loose my weight once and for all. We are all in this together.

Beckyo:tt1:

Beckyo - hope this works for you! So far it sounds good. Keep up the good work. I don't know if you lost weight pre-banding, but you are at 40 pounds in 4 months. 10 pounds a month is better than I have done on any diet since my 30's! (longer than I like to think!)

You go, girl!

Saturday Evening! Hello! Wheres everyone at? I took my grandkids on pumpkin walk at the park tonight. Last week they carved them. This weeked they were all lit up at the Carillon. They played the bells. It was nice. There was 2000 pumpkins carved and lit all over the park. It was really cool! There was probably about 8,000 people that went through it. There were bonfires. It was nice. Anyway I had a really good day yesterday as far as food and today I really haven't eaten enough and need to get more calories in so will do better tomorrow. Hope everyone is doing okay this weekend. I miss Janet. I will be glad to hear back from her. I know she is hurting right now but we are all here to help her through this also. Talk to ya all tomorrow.

Beckyo:biggrin: