Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Great! I am here 1 week post op. Love my band but I am starving. No, it's not head hunger (10 months of behavioral therapy taught me how to recognize that!) I'm going to chew my arm off or something.

However, I'm down 38 pounds and the most I EVER in my whole long life lost on any diet was 45 pounds, so I'm approaching a new personal best. VERY happy about that but still so hungry that I'm even giving the cat the eye when he isn't looking.

Well Congrats on your band and sounds like you are feeling well..

What food stage are you on - clear or full liquids...

I know we have chatted before but don't know if you know some of my suggesstion on what to eat..

Don't want to repeat myself if you already know about cream of bean Soups... Let me know I will be here for a while

I'm not sure what the difference is between clear and full liquids. I know I get to go to "Mushies" next friday. What are full liquids, things like cream of whatever Soup, blended to be smooth? Or something else? Just FYI I am sick of sweet stuff (the shakes, Jello, the shakes) I want something that tastes like food, not desert! (not that I'm whining....LOL)

I'm not sure what the difference is between clear and full liquids. I know I get to go to "Mushies" next friday. What are full liquids, things like cream of whatever Soup, blended to be smooth? Or something else? Just FYI I am sick of sweet stuff (the shakes, Jello, the shakes) I want something that tastes like food, not desert! (not that I'm whining....LOL)

No I hear you girl - I was sick of the sweet crap too - never though I would have said that - but I got fat on real food not so much sweets - don't get me wrong I do love my sweets too.. But I got sick of it 24/7

Clear Liquids is just that - clear - broth

Full liquids cream of whatever soup - pudding, yogurt, fudgecicle, shakes anything you can suck thru a straw and no we aren't suppose to do straws but it's just an example (don't know why on the straw issue - but i do drink from them now but didn't in the begining)

Do you like Beans - make a pot of Beans (I have done both pinto and navy beans) when done scoop the beans out but them in a blender add a little broth and puree them - then add that back to the bean broth - Cream of bean soup and it's so good and has Protein !!! I also made cream of potato soup too. These are the things that got me thru til I got to the mushies stage... I found homemade stuff tasted so much better - so make whatever kind of soup or beans you like - puree the guts of the soup and add it back to the stock - it's yummy..

Thanks! I'll do that! It will help a lot. I appreciate the advice. I've about gone nuts because I'm truly hungry but would rather just shoot myself in the foot than risk damaging my band as it heals! Your solution sounds perfect.

Thanks! I'll do that! It will help a lot. I appreciate the advice. I've about gone nuts because I'm truly hungry but would rather just shoot myself in the foot than risk damaging my band as it heals! Your solution sounds perfect.

I am glad to hear that you would rather shoot yourself than damage your stomach - That's refreshing - I read so many newbies who have written 3 days out ate ck nuggets - hamburger - whatever - but that they ate when they weren't suppose too...

Ya liquids is hard - mushies a little better and soft to regular is heaven..

Have you ck'd the food thread they have recipes on there for diff stages too..

No but to be honest, for a bright person I've been a little fuzzy lately. I will do that! :lol: (they just let me have Protein on Thursday. shakes, but better than nothing)

No but to be honest, for a bright person I've been a little fuzzy lately. I will do that! :lol: (they just let me have Protein on Thursday. shakes, but better than nothing)

I didn't get on the computer for a few days after surgery - so I totally get that... :lol::lol:

Here on Saturday morning and doing well. Had my first fill on Thursday and they put in 5.2cc which made me nervous when you said you had 5.0cc... I thought that was pretty agressive for a first fill. But I've been okay. I did fine on the 24 hours of liquid and last night had some cottage cheese and did fine with that too. This morning had a little oatmeal and did just fine with that. So sounds like my 5.2cc was perfect. I get full when I eat, but since it's just mushys through tomorrow, I get hungry pretty quick. But I'm handling for now.

Thanks for all your help and advice. I agree with Long that I don't read the negative threads - just the successful ones like yours!:lovechoc:

Katarina

Thanks to my band, my hard work, Janet's great advice, and all the great support here I hit an elusive milestone today.

I hit 60 lbs gone!!!!:eek::thumbup::tt1::tt1::laugh::w00t::lovechoc::P:scared2:

Here on Saturday morning and doing well. Had my first fill on Thursday and they put in 5.2cc which made me nervous when you said you had 5.0cc... I thought that was pretty agressive for a first fill. But I've been okay. I did fine on the 24 hours of liquid and last night had some cottage cheese and did fine with that too. This morning had a little oatmeal and did just fine with that. So sounds like my 5.2cc was perfect. I get full when I eat, but since it's just mushys through tomorrow, I get hungry pretty quick. But I'm handling for now.

Thanks for all your help and advice. I agree with Long that I don't read the negative threads - just the successful ones like yours!:thumbs_up:

Katarina

Katarina - Our fill amounts are so diff for each of us - plus I think my band is a 14 not sure I just know that I had the new band ap that came out last july and I think he said large.. Again i dont really care I just care that it works :smile: - Soft food moves thru the pouch faster than solids - so you sound like you will do very well once you get solids.

Thanks to my band, my hard work, Janet's great advice, and all the great support here I hit an elusive milestone today.

I hit 60 lbs gone!!!!:thumbup::thumbup::biggrin: :tt1::laugh::w00t::shades_smile::teeth_smile::thumbs_up:

LORI

36_2_25.gif

CONGRATULATIONS 60 LBS GONE36_2_25.gif

WAY TO GO

BE PROUD OF ALL THE WORK YOU HAVE DONE TO LOSE THESE 60 LBS

IT'S JUST THE BEGINNING - YOU WILL GET TO GOAL.

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb112&pp=ZKxdm005YYUS

CONGRATULATIONS, LORI!!!!!! You have to be so happy. I am jumping for joy for you!!! :teeth_smile:(which should take another pound off me, since jumping IS exercise!)

I'm having my first fill on Wednesday and am scared to death! Any advice. I've kind of gotten used to eating the way I'm eating. I feel like I did before surgery. I don't know what's in store for me and I'm petrified of the change that's about to take place!!!! :shades_smile:

I did learn something last night. I'm having a 60th birthday party for my brother this weekend. Last night 17 family members came for a special family dinner and I "tasted" some of the foods, even a few carbs. Well, I lost a pound today. What does that say? Not, eat more, but exercise like crazy, because I've been doing a lot of running, moving and hard work for this party tonight, more exercise than I've had in a long time. If I "move," I might even be able to eat!

I love you all.

Ellen

:shades_smile: I read this thread a lot and appreciate the advice that is given here. I posted before and got no response in another thread.

I am slated for my surgery on the 16th with Dr. Burpee in Tucson, I understand that he is one of the best and I look forward to getting on the road to good health.

Here are my frustrations... I have completed all of my appointments but I seem to only get a phone call when they are ready to schedule and then no update so that I know what is going on. I worry that we have not discussed the type of band that I will get nor have we discussed the pre-surgery diet that Dr. Burpee may require. I try to make some phone calls to the office and have even emailed twice, called twice, I don't want to be a pest. I want to feel good about this surgery in spite of being afraid. But dang, shouldn't there be better communication? I worry about reaching someone in the office if I have a problem post surgery, phone calls always go to voice mail.

Am I being silly about all this or are my concerns real?

Please help?

Laura

CONGRATULATIONS, LORI!!!!!! You have to be so happy. I am jumping for joy for you!!! :thumbs_up:(which should take another pound off me, since jumping IS exercise!)

I'm having my first fill on Wednesday and am scared to death! Any advice. I've kind of gotten used to eating the way I'm eating. I feel like I did before surgery. I don't know what's in store for me and I'm petrified of the change that's about to take place!!!! :shades_smile:

I did learn something last night. I'm having a 60th birthday party for my brother this weekend. Last night 17 family members came for a special family dinner and I "tasted" some of the foods, even a few carbs. Well, I lost a pound today. What does that say? Not, eat more, but exercise like crazy, because I've been doing a lot of running, moving and hard work for this party tonight, more exercise than I've had in a long time. If I "move," I might even be able to eat!

I love you all.

Ellen

I just lost my fricking post :teeth_smile: ok here is a shorter verision cuz i need to jump in the shower..

Ellen - your fill will be fine - it most likely will give you just a hint of restriction but you will learn what to expect from feelling restriction cuz most likely right now you don't have much..

Yes the more you move the more you can it - and if you vary your calories (eat light one day - eat a little more the next) you will see the diff on the scale more than if you just stick to a lower calorie food intake.

Ok sorry this is shorter - but i need to get going... Nails, food shopping dog treat shopping and house to clean - so I will cbl.

Have a great time at your bro's bday party....

Hugs & Love - Janet

:shades_smile: I read this thread a lot and appreciate the advice that is given here. I posted before and got no response in another thread.

I am slated for my surgery on the 16th with Dr. Burpee in Tucson, I understand that he is one of the best and I look forward to getting on the road to good health.

Here are my frustrations... I have completed all of my appointments but I seem to only get a phone call when they are ready to schedule and then no update so that I know what is going on. I worry that we have not discussed the type of band that I will get nor have we discussed the pre-surgery diet that Dr. Burpee may require. I try to make some phone calls to the office and have even emailed twice, called twice, I don't want to be a pest. I want to feel good about this surgery in spite of being afraid. But dang, shouldn't there be better communication? I worry about reaching someone in the office if I have a problem post surgery, phone calls always go to voice mail.

Am I being silly about all this or are my concerns real?

Please help?

Laura

Laura, I don't think you should worry about being a pest - and they should not consider your calls/questions as being a pest. You are having surgery - a foreign body implanted in your body - rules to follow to make this tool work - and LOTS of questions about the whole process. I, too, have to leave messages, but I always receive a call back within a very reasonable time and you should, too. I try to be respectful of their time, but when I need (or want) information I don't hesitate to call, leave my message, and request a call back. Keep calling - and discuss your concerns about post-surgery communication. It is a valid concern. It's just me - but if I were having difficulty with staff communication I would discuss it with the surgeon, and have to make a decision from there...

Is there a support group through this surgeon's organization? You might check that out - if they are on-line you might find out more about their communication processes.

JoanMarie,

Thank you so much for your response. When you are scared and then frustrated with communication you start to second think your choice and I do NOT want to do that. I really think my concerns are valid. I have never gotten a response to email. I thought about offering to be an advocate for email because of that since I will have first hand experience. The only time I got a return call was when they wanted to put together the schedule for surgery. I don't feel that I have had enough appointments to be well informed. Yes, I read from this board but it is not the same.

I agree, I will be talking to the surgeon. I need to feel good that I matter once this surgery is done.

Again, thanks for the response.

Laura