Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Hi everyone tonight (Monday). I haven't posted for a few days because I was having major problems with the computer. It is finally fixed so now I can join in again. Sounds like everyone is doing pretty well this labor day weekend. I have been walking. Yesterday I went swimming and today I walked 2.4 miles. I did the fast, slow thing. It was 90 out and I was beat when I got done. I have been very tired all day from that little outing. Then I went got groceries. Had family over for dinner. Today I had coffee, oatmeal w skim milk for B, L was turkey sandwich on light bread, supper was salad, corn on cob, ribs (2 small). I ate all of that. Should I be able to eat that much at one sitting?:laugh: My next Dr appt is Sept 16th. It is true I am not eating nearly what I used to but the walking is also a big part of it. I guess what I am trying to say is that this does take work on the lapbanders part. This is where I had trouble before with loosing. I would walk two miles every day and was extremely tired from it and was hard to keep up. Maybe I should slow down. I did attack that issue. Glad to hear everyone is fine.:thumbup:

BeckyO:tt1:

Hey Becky

Are you full on what you ate? I think the amount of food that you can or can not eat is really a personal decision - How much salad a big bowl or a cup - you are eating normal portions - this isn't about eating 1/4 of a cup of food to me that's not normal - Eating a sandwich (talking a reg sandwich like you are eating not a 12 inch sub - I don't think I could eat a big roll like (even a 6 inch sub) that but I can eat sandwich bread (lite) and being full from it is normal - The band is not about starving yourself - and not getting enough nutritions ..This isn't a diet remember that. It's about restriction - how much you can eat at one sitting if you could eat 2 sandwich's then I would say you need to be tighter but you sound OK -

Are you losing weight each week? You are making healthy food choice and that's what's needed - you aren't eating tons of fat or sugar .

As far as being beat from your exercise - ya if it's a chore and you are to wiped out afterward - i would slow it down some - you can either walk a shorter distant every day or longer ones every other day.. If you make it to hard on yourself you are going to quit doing it..

On the exercise front - I would go 4-5 days in the beginning and about every 2 weeks would increase my speed and distant. Even now - I go twice a week for cardio (treadmill) I walk 3 to 3.5 miles in 52 minutes - some days I increase the incline more and do just 3 miles and other days I increase the speed and do 3.5 and every now and then I may do 4 miles on a Saturday morning if I am feeling particularly Strong.. But I don't make it a chore - I do work out but not to the point of being too tired. Slow and easy the turtle won the race.

Are you drinking enough Water and are you taking Vitamins??

Yes it takes work on your part for this to be successful - The band is only a tool - you make your food choices you decide if you want to exercise - I say that 75% of the work is up to me by making healthy food choices and not eating around my band which I could easily do - and me for the exercising - the band does the other 25% by providing restriction. But this is my personal opinion - Some pple say it's 50% 50% --

This is how you are going to live the rest of your life. This isn't a diet..

During my weight loss stage I was happy eating a cup for Breakfast & lunch and dinner sometime would be 1 to 1 1/2 cups - but I was physically full on this amount of food (not alway mentally) Was/am I still hungry at times - yep - there are still days that I want to eat - and I could graze all day on high fat or high sugar foods - but I choose not to

My doc decides if I need a fill by the amount of weight I would lose between appts. I will tell you one thing - you don't want to be too tight it's awful being too tight - I was for 1 week - could only eat Soup and maybe 1/2 cup - I hated it I wanted real food and more than 1/4 c of it..- I had to take tiny sips of Water - eating was just to hard - it hurt ... But I will say all it takes is one time of being too tight to know that you don't want it again..

Hi everyone. Just checking in too, since I haven't too much lately; which, is because I too am in "Bandster Hell"!!! Didn't want to bore you all with my same story again! I'm just hoping that I'll start losing again after my fill on/around 9/11. I've been exercising for 45-60 minutes a day for 5-7 days each week and the scale has just gone up 2 LBs!!! I was doing good on eating, but will admit that the last 2 days I have not done so great! Partly because of the discouraging weight gain (beforehand). :laugh:

Long2beThin, Thank You so much for answering my job question! :thumbup:

I'm going to definitely try to get something in that field!

Indiogirl55...I just wanted to thank you for this wonderful thread. You are a voice of reason in a sea of chaos! I am enjoying this site but some of the info is, frankly, bleak and frightening. (and I've read 2 books, am a nursing student, and a grown up) You are frank, forthcoming, and honest. I truly appreciate your viewpoint and guidance. I am so glad I have my band, and know it will help me (notice I said help ME) achieve a freedom that I have never had in my whole life. I will be healthier and happier for having it. Your posts have helped me "keep the faith". I don't know if you realize how much a difference you make here, so although I'm sure you've heard it before, thank you thank you thank you!

Hi everyone. Just checking in too, since I haven't too much lately; which, is because I too am in "Bandster Hell"!!! Didn't want to bore you all with my same story again! I'm just hoping that I'll start losing again after my fill on/around 9/11. I've been exercising for 45-60 minutes a day for 5-7 days each week and the scale has just gone up 2 LBs!!! I was doing good on eating, but will admit that the last 2 days I have not done so great! Partly because of the discouraging weight gain (beforehand). :thumbup:

Long2beThin, Thank You so much for answering my job question! :tt2:

I'm going to definitely try to get something in that field!

Gettin - How often are you weighing in - it can be Water weight - Sunday morning I weighed 148 - Monday morning 145 - just cuz I weighted 148 on Sunday - I didn't say F it an eat - We can never say F it and eat cuz the scales went up. We just have to keep plugging along - Bandster Hell is really hard for some - I can't say that it was that tough for me as ya I might not had much restriction - but with my healthy food choices and exercises I still managed to lose weight... Just cuz the scales went up one day - allow your self to say F it - this isn't a diet it is a lifestyle change...

Indiogirl55...I just wanted to thank you for this wonderful thread. You are a voice of reason in a sea of chaos! I am enjoying this site but some of the info is, frankly, bleak and frightening. (and I've read 2 books, am a nursing student, and a grown up) You are frank, forthcoming, and honest. I truly appreciate your viewpoint and guidance. I am so glad I have my band, and know it will help me (notice I said help ME) achieve a freedom that I have never had in my whole life. I will be healthier and happier for having it. Your posts have helped me "keep the faith". I don't know if you realize how much a difference you make here, so although I'm sure you've heard it before, thank you thank you thank you!

RestlessMonkey - Thanks so much for your great accolades.. They are much appreciated - but as I have said a million times - I am just a fat chick talking fat chick talk - I an no diff than any of you and I want all of you to feel 10 yrs younger feel 200% better and start enjoying your lives..

To fill empowered by your accomplishment in making a change in your lives..

Hugs - Janet

Lucky 7,

I have not been on line for a while, but I am really down about my lapband and needed someone to talk to...I have no idea how I got to this thread, but I read some of your support e-mails and thought you might be able to help me. I was banded in Oct 2007. My doc did not put any Fluid in at surgery, so my weight loss was slow. It took a while, Jan 2008 to be exact before I had an restriction. I currently have 7.5 ccs in a 10cc band. For about 3 months after the Jan fill I would throw up because I was so used to be able to eat whatever. It took a while to get back into the swing of things, but during that time I developed a habit of eating soft foods...fatty soft foods to be exact!!!

Now I have lost 40 lbs and beginning to gain weight. I am so excited to be able to eat and not throw up and be able ta acutally swallow the medicines I am on that I don't want to be too tight again, but there has to be a happy medium where I'm not hungry, but don't throw up when I eat. Can you give me some pointers??

[quote=mrsivo;981530]Lucky 7,

I have not been on line for a while, but I am really down about my lapband and needed someone to talk to...I have no idea how I got to this thread, but I read some of your support e-mails and thought you might be able to help me. I was banded in Oct 2007. My doc did not put any Fluid in at surgery, so my weight loss was slow. It took a while, Jan 2008 to be exact before I had an restriction. I currently have 7.5 ccs in a 10cc band. For about 3 months after the Jan fill I would throw up because I was so used to be able to eat whatever. It took a while to get back into the swing of things, but during that time I developed a habit of eating soft foods...fatty soft foods to be exact!!!

Now I have lost 40 lbs and beginning to gain weight. I am so excited to be able to eat and not throw up and be able ta acutally swallow the medicines I am on that I don't want to be too tight again, but there has to be a happy medium where I'm not hungry, but don't throw up when I eat. Can you give me some pointers??

Mrsivo - Hugs I am sorry for your struggles.. Here is my tough band love (but note that the operative word is love)

#1 You may be too tight if you can't eat hard Protein without pbing. Are you taking tiny bites and chewing and eating slowly??? If you are doing these things and can't eat hard protein then I would suggest going back to your doctor and having a little taken out.

I am at my sweet spot - which for me is 1 cup for Breakfast and lunch and dinner can be 1 to 1/2 c of food - I choose to eat healthy - lots of fish (I like it) veggies - brown rice etc.

But I will tell you that I can be physically full from my food but still want to eat - this is our head hunger talking to us and it feels like real hunger - Also for me my band does not take away my hunger - yes I will stay full longer but I still get hungry.

IMHO the band is a great tool - but it's only that - a tool - the band its self isn't going to make you lose weight - only you can do that by choosing healthy foods

Secret - There really isn't one - I had major frickin surgery - I was 52 when banded - I have fewer yrs ahead of me than what's behind me and I want to extend the years I have left and I wanted to improve the quality of my life. So my head is totally in the game.

I was told over and over again here on LBT by my 50+ ladies that the band was only a tool - So I knew going in that this had to be a LIFETIME LIFESTYLE change in my life. Also, I have the experience of all my other dieting efforts - and I am able to use the information I learned in Weight Watcher in helping me eat healthy (not diet) and exercise.

I eat healthy 98% of the time - I allow for treats 2% of the time - but those calorie are not in addition to my daily budget of 900-1200 but included in. I exercise 3-4 days a week (2 cardio - 2 weights) - I also keep a food diary (on my 5th book) where I track my calories & pt grms.

I bought a scale that gives me all the info on whatever I am weighing - I used it alot in the being but now I know what a portion size looks and know most of the calories by heart of the foods i eat (I still pull it out when I am eating something different)

I eat off of a sandwich plate - use children's utensils - and have a little bowl that holds one cup.

I still eat out - Mexican or Chinese - but I eat 1/4 what I ate before - I eat minimum 1 cup per meal - usually 1 to 1/2 - but some nights it can be 2 cups.. I eat low fat - mostly sugar free - and I do eat carbs/starches

I always have some form of starch with my dinner - usually 1/2 cup of rice.

So if the above is a secret - it's not any longer :) I am more than willing to share - as I know how it feels to be the Fat Chick - and in my head I still have her - but before long she will be replaced by the new thinner & healthier chick and I want everyone here to share the joy in meeting and exceeding your goals and to feel so much better. Heck no wonder I was so tired before I was carring around 105 sack of potatoes on my back.

I firmly believe that 75% of the work is mental and the band does the other 25% by providing restriction. (this is the real secret - knowing that you are going to have to work at this - that the band isn't going to do it by itself)

IndioGirl 55,

I have been reading some of threads since I sent you the e-mail and I can see that I am my own worst enemy...I am going to go back to the basics with the food I am supposed to eat and keep my focus on the long term goal!! I need tough love, my friend have been trying to remind me when I eat sweets (which was my weakness before the lapband) and now I have allowed them to control me again!! I justified it by some of the tough times I had been going through and not having my treadmill any longer kept me from walking, but it's all in my mind!!! Thanks for the tough love, thanks for the words of wisdom and most of all for the encourgement...any other words are welcomed!!!

Help- I was banded 11-9-07 and have only lost 24 lbs...I need about 50-60 more to be really healthy! I have not lost any more since first of year. I am getting a 3rd fill this week and am hoping it will control me.

You would think at 53 I would be in control!

I need to get back on the bandwagon with both feet!

I think I'll start back on this site, and will do a journal. Wish me luck!

IndioGirl 55,

I have been reading some of threads since I sent you the e-mail and I can see that I am my own worst enemy...I am going to go back to the basics with the food I am supposed to eat and keep my focus on the long term goal!! I need tough love, my friend have been trying to remind me when I eat sweets (which was my weakness before the lapband) and now I have allowed them to control me again!! I justified it by some of the tough times I had been going through and not having my treadmill any longer kept me from walking, but it's all in my mind!!! Thanks for the tough love, thanks for the words of wisdom and most of all for the encourgement...any other words are welcomed!!!

Mrsivo - Yep sweets are a hard one - I like my sweets too - but now I eat sf ones 98% of the time - every now and then I will have a real candy bar or piece of cake or cookie - but like once a month.

I make these little banana pudding cups - sf banana pudding - lite cool whip - banans - mini vanill wafers - 1/2 cup containers - Make pudding as directed add some cool whip to it and blend it - put a mini wafer in the bottom of the 1/2 c container - top with a banana - spoon in the pudding mixture - another wafer another piece of banana and then more pudding - it's great..

I eat my sf sweets most nights - sf pudding or ww fudgecicle - I also will eat a snack pack popcorn to - to feed my head hunger issues.

You can do this - no excuses are allowed :) - when that little devil is on your right shoulder telling you it ok to have this fat or sugar laden food - I am the little food angel on your right shoulder - tell you that a sf treat will be just as good and if that darn little devil keeps on talking to you then the little angel on your right shoulder is going to turn in to the food cop and pull her gun and shoot that little devil - so play that scene out in your mind when you want to go against a healthy eating lifestyle - and if nothing else you will get a laugh and make you forget about eating :blushing:

Help- I was banded 11-9-07 and have only lost 24 lbs...I need about 50-60 more to be really healthy! I have not lost any more since first of year. I am getting a 3rd fill this week and am hoping it will control me.

You would think at 53 I would be in control!

I need to get back on the bandwagon with both feet!

I think I'll start back on this site, and will do a journal. Wish me luck!

Neen - Sorry for your struggles too Hugs ..

I am glad you are going to go in for another fill - the band is a tool but that tool can't work properly if not maintained.. So you need to keep it maintain..

That being said - it's only a tool and only you are in control of you and your food choices - you band is going to control your portions.

Darling, you and I are the same age and I can tell you this - I really do feel 10 yrs youngs - am so much stronger - the quality of my life has improved vastly and above all else have prolonged my life for a few more years. I am off all blood pressure meds - no more cpap machines and those are all the reasons I was banded in the first place - but got to admitte the icing on the cake is when pple call me tiny... Yes me the former 250 50+ chick is now refered to as tiny.. Loving it..

You can do it - I did it and I am no diff than you - Just pull up those bootstraps and move forward... One day at a time...

But Indio, we do have to do alot of the work ourselves. I have not allowed myself to overeat since I had surgery and I definitely don't want to be sick all the time. I am still loosing. I lost 8 lbs in August and total is 33 since June 13 which averages 3 lbs a week. I am very very happy with that. I would just like to feel full in between meals for long periods of time. I do pretty well as long as I don't wait too long to eat but man, if I do wait too long, then I need something fast to eat. I have been a very good girl with sugars. I havent touched anything with sugar at all and if it was it was very low in sugar. I am also laying low with carbs. All in all, I am pretty focused because I feel like you Janet, I am not going to waist this surgery either. As far as the walking goes I think part of it is because its so damn hot out and I think I will slow down a little and see if that helps because you are right, This is what stopped me before. I got soo tired from walking that all I wanted to do was go home and rest ALL DAY. I am tired but I am also recouping alot faster now.

Beckyo:w00t:

Hey gang - I know a few of you are 50+ers so you have read this post already - but thought I would share with the under 50 pple too :party:

Charlene

I usually eat 1 cup per meal - this morning dannon light and fit yogurt and 1/4 c granola - starving by 11 had a Fiber One Bar - lunch 1 cup if not a little more of pinto Beans with some ham - 1 bite of lemon cooler cake (sliver bite) - this afternoon hungry but didn't eat anything that's a lie I remember i had one 2 x 2 chunk of watermelon and drank my Water - just got back from exercise and am not hungry right now - dinner will be 4 oz fish - 1/2 c rice and 1/2 c veggies - then a pudding - fudgecile or popcorn -depending on my hunger it could be 1 or 2 or all 3.

I am a night time eater I have always been and always will be - I have always budgeted my calories to compensate for this - I usually don't eat Snacks during the day cuz I have to save those calories for my night time munchies -

I tell you all that I am a food addict as longs as I don't eat I am fine but once I start - it's like someone opened the flood gates - this is mostly at night but I am always tell everyone - I can eat dinner and be physically full but want to eat more.. My band stops me from eating a lot at one time but it doesn't stop me from grazing.... And I could do that..

Last night had 4 may 5 oz of steak - small read potato and 4 small Brussels sprouts - then about 2 hrs later had fudgecicle and 2 pudding all sugar free -

Snacks - 100 calorie popcorn - sf choc & banana & choc puddings 60 calories - string cheese -80 calories fiberone bar 130 or a Protein Bar 190- watermelon 100- sf fudgecicles 100- pringles lite (made with that olseo something - 14 chips for like 70 calories - and may have with lite sour cream - 24 tostedo bite size chips 130 calories -

Attached is a sample menu...

A lot of pple say that fill helps their hunger - for me it does and it doesn't - I do stay full longer (as long as I am eating hard protein) but I can't say that it takes away my hunger 100% - I still think about food and want to eat food - and I do - now it's just healthier food and less of it and not as often - I have learned that being hungry isn't going to kill me - but being fat was - and when I can't ignore it any more - I find something to eat that will be filling and not full of calories..

My doc told me I need to eat more during the day so that I didn't want to eat at night - I have tried and tired it doesn't work for me - so I do what works for me .. I budget my calories to feed my hunger when I don't have the control - which for me is at night.

I am a firm believer in doing what works for you - if eating 1 cup for the 3 meals makes you feel full and for a longer period then do that.. It's up to you but you really do have to find out what works the best for you - so that you will be able to make this a lifetime change...

Ok another book of Janet's - I am sure glad you guys don't complain about my long post:lol:

Yeah, I do weigh-in too much! Thanks Janet. I will take the advice and only really count the # on the scale on Monday (even if I do still weigh everyday). It's all such a mind game!!! It's definitely not as easy anymore! In my teens and 20's I could hurry up and lose 50-60 LBs in 6 months and be close to goal...now it takes forever and lots more work (not that it was ever actually easy), and that's only in my 30's! I don't want to even imagine beyond that weight-wise, but hopefully I won't have to and my band will control that. :party:

But Indio, we do have to do alot of the work ourselves. I have not allowed myself to overeat since I had surgery and I definitely don't want to be sick all the time. I am still loosing. I lost 8 lbs in August and total is 33 since June 13 which averages 3 lbs a week. I am very very happy with that. I would just like to feel full in between meals for long periods of time. I do pretty well as long as I don't wait too long to eat but man, if I do wait too long, then I need something fast to eat. I have been a very good girl with sugars. I havent touched anything with sugar at all and if it was it was very low in sugar. I am also laying low with carbs. All in all, I am pretty focused because I feel like you Janet, I am not going to waist this surgery either. As far as the walking goes I think part of it is because its so damn hot out and I think I will slow down a little and see if that helps because you are right, This is what stopped me before. I got soo tired from walking that all I wanted to do was go home and rest ALL DAY. I am tired but I am also recouping alot faster now.

Beckyo:w00t:

Becky - it's normal to be hungry before your next meal and if you are not making it between meals then add a healthy low calorie snack.< /p>

Yes you are doing excellent on your weight loss and you should be very proud of that..

Yep exercise does get easier as we get healthier...

Keep up the good work Becky...

Yeah, I do weigh-in too much! Thanks Janet. I will take the advice and only really count the # on the scale on Monday (even if I do still weigh everyday). It's all such a mind game!!! It's definitely not as easy anymore! In my teens and 20's I could hurry up and lose 50-60 LBs in 6 months and be close to goal...now it takes forever and lots more work (not that it was ever actually easy), and that's only in my 30's! I don't want to even imagine beyond that weight-wise, but hopefully I won't have to and my band will control that. :unsure:

Getthin - Yep this is a big mind game - the band helps but our heads keep getting in the way sometimes :)

Janet, I just found those sf banana with fudge topping at the store.....they are awesome. It is hard to believe it is on 60 calories. I am so glad Jell-o is has come out with new sugar free puddings. I am like you .....I can't give up my WW fudgecicles. I save them for my last snack in the evening.

Janet, I just found those sf banana with fudge topping at the store.....they are awesome. It is hard to believe it is on 60 calories. I am so glad Jell-o is has come out with new sugar free puddings. I am like you .....I can't give up my WW fudgecicles. I save them for my last snack in the evening.

Have you tried the sf Jello dark choc puddings - very good too.

Last night Snacks after dinner was 1 sf pudding with some almond added and 1 pure Protein choc bar that was in the fridge makes them nice and chewy...