Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Ok..the rest of the fudge.

Peppermint...make the basic recipe (sw. con. milk/butter) omit the vanilla and add 3 cups of white chocolate and 4 drops of peppermint flavoring. Stir till well blended.

Pour 1/2 in a sprayed 8x8 pan. Top with Andes peppermint crunch baking chips. Carefully spoon the rest of the mixture over the chips and spread evenly.

There are other peppermint chips out there that are red/green/white that are shaped like choc chips. These work also.

Mint Fudge...Use basic recipe and omit vanilla again. Add 4 drops of mint extract and 3 cups milk choc chips. Stir well. Pour 1/2 in 8x8 sprayed pan. Sprinkle with a bag of Nestles drak chocolate and mint chips. As above, carefully spoon rest of fudge over chips and spread.

Cool in frig and cut.

Hey everyone I am new to the site. I just thought this seemed like a good post to jump in. You all seem so in tune and friendly to each other. I decided to get banded about a month ago and have my second and third appts tommorrow. It is with a nutritionist and a fitness counselor. I am scheduled to be banded 1-4-10. I know this is what I want to do but I am so nervous. I keep thinking "what if something goes wrong?" My last surgery (a c-section) went awfully wrong. I can barely afford to have this surgery. If the band slips or the tube is punctured I won't have the money to fix it. I guess it is really just a bunch of excuses running through my head. Everything could go perfect and be wonderful. I am just anxious. My husband thinks I have just been sold some "magic" Beans and we are going to be wasting money. He says he will support me either way though.

I also had a potassium deficiency, I took the potassium pills and it straightened out in no time.

Hey everyone I am new to the site. I just thought this seemed like a good post to jump in. You all seem so in tune and friendly to each other. I decided to get banded about a month ago and have my second and third appts tommorrow. It is with a nutritionist and a fitness counselor. I am scheduled to be banded 1-4-10. I know this is what I want to do but I am so nervous. I keep thinking "what if something goes wrong?" My last surgery (a c-section) went awfully wrong. I can barely afford to have this surgery. If the band slips or the tube is punctured I won't have the money to fix it. I guess it is really just a bunch of excuses running through my head. Everything could go perfect and be wonderful. I am just anxious. My husband thinks I have just been sold some "magic" Beans and we are going to be wasting money. He says he will support me either way though.

I also had a potassium deficiency, I took the potassium pills and it straightened out in no time.

Hi Jewel - Welcome and Congrats on your date !!!

This is a great thread even if I do say so myself ;0) - I have never been known to be humble :smile:

Tell your DH to come and talk to me - this isn't the magic cure all to our issues with food - it's just a tool - that's it ..

The majority of our issues with food are in our heads not our tummies..

I say that I did 75% of the work in losing the weight by changing how I ate and adding exercise into my life and the band did 25% by providing restriction..

Ya crap happens and keeping the weight on is setting you up for an increase risk of getting cancer - a heart attack and diminishing the quality of your life.

I have talked to quite a few pple here on lbt over the last 2 yrs and know of 2 who had some issues - yes it does happen but like I said keeping the weight on has it's risks too..

It's normal to be nervous we all were.. I didn't think about the bad stuff I concentrated on the good that would come with losing the weight

Look forward to chatting with you

Ok..the rest of the fudge.

Peppermint...make the basic recipe (sw. con. milk/butter) omit the vanilla and add 3 cups of white chocolate and 4 drops of peppermint flavoring. Stir till well blended.

Pour 1/2 in a sprayed 8x8 pan. Top with Andes peppermint crunch baking chips. Carefully spoon the rest of the mixture over the chips and spread evenly.

There are other peppermint chips out there that are red/green/white that are shaped like choc chips. These work also.

Mint Fudge...Use basic recipe and omit vanilla again. Add 4 drops of mint extract and 3 cups milk choc chips. Stir well. Pour 1/2 in 8x8 sprayed pan. Sprinkle with a bag of Nestles drak chocolate and mint chips. As above, carefully spoon rest of fudge over chips and spread.

Cool in frig and cut.

I'm a plain girl - choc & nuts - I am in heaven :0)

Think I will make some for dessert when Phyl comes on Thursday..

What do you think Phyl ;0) Want some ;0)

Went to my Master Gardner Christmast party tonight. It was a pot luck. I was talking with a lady sitting across from me and she was telling me about how she was not eating sugary stuff as she has been in a challenge at the YMCA. Any way the discuss got into how much she has lost and I told her I had lapband. She had the gall to tell me she did it the hard way. That kind of burned my A$$. I did inform her very nicely that lapband is not the easy way and that I have to make the right choices and eat correctly. Why do people think this way? Well I ate very good and she ate more than me and tried her husbands Desserts. I did see her watching my plate. But hey that's ok I ate what I wanted, tried different things and threw the rest away when I was full. So I guess that is one for the good guys. Sorry for the rant, but I figured you would all understand.

Laura K

I'm a plain girl - choc & nuts - I am in heaven :0) Think I will make some for dessert when Phyl comes on Thursday.. What do you think Phyl ;0) Want some ;0)

You betcha!! Sounds good!

Went to my Master Gardner Christmas party tonight. It was a pot luck. I was talking with a lady sitting across from me and she was telling me about how she was not eating sugary stuff as she has been in a challenge at the YMCA. Any way the discuss got into how much she has lost and I told her I had LAP-BAND®. She had the gall to tell me she did it the hard way. That kind of burned my A$$. I did inform her very nicely that LAP-BAND® is not the easy way and that I have to make the right choices and eat correctly. Why do people think this way? Well I ate very good and she ate more than me and tried her husbands desserts. I did see her watching my plate. But hey that's ok I ate what I wanted, tried different things and threw the rest away when I was full. So I guess that is one for the good guys. Sorry for the rant, but I figured you would all understand. Laura K

She did it "the hard way"!! Boy! That would really piss me off! She has NO idea! You will be successful!! She won't!!

Went to my Master Gardner Christmast party tonight. It was a pot luck. I was talking with a lady sitting across from me and she was telling me about how she was not eating sugary stuff as she has been in a challenge at the YMCA. Any way the discuss got into how much she has lost and I told her I had LAP-BAND®. She had the gall to tell me she did it the hard way. That kind of burned my A$$. I did inform her very nicely that LAP-BAND® is not the easy way and that I have to make the right choices and eat correctly. Why do people think this way? Well I ate very good and she ate more than me and tried her husbands desserts. I did see her watching my plate. But hey that's ok I ate what I wanted, tried different things and threw the rest away when I was full. So I guess that is one for the good guys. Sorry for the rant, but I figured you would all understand.

Laura K

HMMM,I wonder what part of major surgery, pre op testing, fills, diet, exercise, etc is the easy part? But you know, I gotta be totally honest, before surgery, I tended to think along the same lines when I heard of someone getting bypass surgery (I had never heard of the band yet). Just shows how uneducated about it all that I was.

cherifl@comcast.net. Once you write me I'll have your e-mail address. I'm terrible at copying and pasting so please write me.

Got new glasses today. Think I like them. I need to post a new picture soon. I've been going to school early the past two days and climbing up and down the stairs and walking around the gym to simulate the hills of Tennessee. I still walk when I get home and I do 100 crunches on the ab cruncher my husband picked up at a garage sale. Hopefully, I'll start seeing the scale move soon.

DH has been flashing between So You Think You Can Dance and Celtic Women. So much incredible beauty in this world. Tears.

you guys need to stop talking about fudge ; 0

Thank GOD I don't have any of the ingredients you listed Apples, otherwise we would be in trouble!

For my Dad's birthday cake (his bday was the 30th, he turned 76, but we celebrated on Thanksgiving), I made the cake using a Paula Deen "Sour Cream Bundt Cake" recipe (but instead of cream cheese icing did a chocolate one. And instead of bundt, I used 9 inch rounds.) Apparently she made this on the Oprah show and O apparently had a conniption with the ingredients. She says "I am a cook, not a doctor!" Paula Deen Bakes a Sour Cream Pound Cake - Video - Oprah.com

It's really funny though, watch it if you need a laugh.

But mom wanted a calorie rich dessert for dad. This cake had 2 sticks of butter and 2 cups of sugar (it called for 3 but I only put 2 b/c of the icing I was making) and a cup of sour cream. I made a dark chocolate ganache frosting that had 16 oz whipping cream, 16 oz dark chocolate and 1/2 pound of powdered sugar. Goodness gracious it was good but almost too rich. Nelson helped decorate it and made it a John Deere theme cake..LOL with yellow and green sprinkles. The photos don't do it justice. Nels put so many sprinkles you can hardly see the PAPA HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

Found the PERFECT gift to give someone that has everything. It's a mug from Starbucks that comes with a ceramic pen. You can personalize it (we had everyone sign it and write a little something), then you bake it and it makes it permanent. My Dad just loved it and mom says he is using it every morning.

Starbucks White Celebration Mug at StarbucksStore.com

Hugs and thanks again for the thoughts and prayers. You guys rock.

Edited by peascorps

Went to my Master Gardner Christmast party tonight. It was a pot luck. I was talking with a lady sitting across from me and she was telling me about how she was not eating sugary stuff as she has been in a challenge at the YMCA. Any way the discuss got into how much she has lost and I told her I had LAP-BAND®. She had the gall to tell me she did it the hard way. That kind of burned my A$$. I did inform her very nicely that LAP-BAND® is not the easy way and that I have to make the right choices and eat correctly. Why do people think this way? Well I ate very good and she ate more than me and tried her husbands desserts. I did see her watching my plate. But hey that's ok I ate what I wanted, tried different things and threw the rest away when I was full. So I guess that is one for the good guys. Sorry for the rant, but I figured you would all understand.

Laura K

Laura - I don't think I would have been to nice - I would have told her I have done 75% of the work!!! She would have totally pissed me off..

You betcha!! Sounds good!

She did it "the hard way"!! Boy! That would really piss me off! She has NO idea! You will be successful!! She won't!!

Ok - Fudge is Dessert - chocolate & White Choc - with walnuts -

HMMM,I wonder what part of major surgery, pre op testing, fills, diet, exercise, etc is the easy part? But you know, I gotta be totally honest, before surgery, I tended to think along the same lines when I heard of someone getting bypass surgery (I had never heard of the band yet). Just shows how uneducated about it all that I was.

Great - I was like you - prior to banding - My gf and I had this discussion a week or so ago - we had that exact same conversation that wls was the easy way out prior to either one of us having it - me band - her bypass

But hell what did we know then - I would have schooled that lady who LauraK had dinner with :0)..

cherifl@comcast.net. Once you write me I'll have your e-mail address. I'm terrible at copying and pasting so please write me.

Got new glasses today. Think I like them. I need to post a new picture soon. I've been going to school early the past two days and climbing up and down the stairs and walking around the gym to simulate the hills of Tennessee. I still walk when I get home and I do 100 crunches on the ab cruncher my husband picked up at a garage sale. Hopefully, I'll start seeing the scale move soon.

DH has been flashing between So You Think You Can Dance and Celtic Women. So much incredible beauty in this world. Tears.

That was on my to do list - get eye's ck'd - havent' so far

you guys need to stop talking about fudge ; 0

Thank GOD I don't have any of the ingredients you listed Apples, otherwise we would be in trouble!

For my Dad's birthday cake (his bday was the 30th, he turned 76, but we celebrated on Thanksgiving), I made the cake using a Paula Deen "Sour Cream Bundt Cake" recipe (but instead of cream cheese icing did a chocolate one. And instead of bundt, I used 9 inch rounds.) Apparently she made this on the Oprah show and O apparently had a conniption with the ingredients. She says "I am a cook, not a doctor!" Paula Deen Bakes a Sour Cream Pound Cake - Video - Oprah.com

It's really funny though, watch it if you need a laugh.

But mom wanted a calorie rich dessert for dad. This cake had 2 sticks of butter and 2 cups of sugar (it called for 3 but I only put 2 b/c of the icing I was making) and a cup of sour cream. I made a dark chocolate ganache frosting that had 16 oz whipping cream, 16 oz dark chocolate and 1/2 pound of powdered sugar. Goodness gracious it was good but almost too rich. Nelson helped decorate it and made it a John Deere theme cake..LOL with yellow and green sprinkles. The photos don't do it justice. Nels put so many sprinkles you can hardly see the PAPA HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

Found the PERFECT gift to give someone that has everything. It's a mug from Starbucks that comes with a ceramic pen. You can personalize it (we had everyone sign it and write a little something), then you bake it and it makes it permanent. My Dad just loved it and mom says he is using it every morning.

Starbucks White Celebration Mug at StarbucksStore.com

Hugs and thanks again for the thoughts and prayers. You guys rock.

Laura

IMHO nothing is to rich ;0) !!!

I love the pic of you and Nelson - it's fantastic !!!

Love the cake too :0)

Apples............thanks for the recipe

Janet..............great pic of you and GS......he is so handsome

Laura..........I am still praying for you and your family. HUGS!

Great..........Hope you get that potassium up for the surgery. Hey, keep that cold weather up there. We are too thinned skinned down here. Well, actually, I don't care this time. We are leaving for Hawaii on Thursday. I didn't reach my goal AGAIN this December, but I have not given up.

HUGS to ALL LBT buddies!

Hi everyone. I've had a busy couple of days. Got my tree and all decorating done Sat./Sunday -- it's always a two day project - have lots and lots of decorations. Needed to get it done before surgery. Went to work Monday, but around 4 or so got terrible chills - I was so cold, I turn my floor heater on but still was shivering. Temp on the thermostat said 78 and I had on a long sleeved sweater with a long sleeved jacket -- no way I should have been cold. Had terrible body aches - finally got home and went to bed still shivering - I was nervous I was having kidney problems again cause that's how I felt during my kidney failure last year. No temp though. After a couple of hours under tons of blankets I warmed up enough to come upstairs and eat a little dinner. Had terrible pain all over - like the flu -- but I had a flu shot. Yesterday morning I got up and had a rash on the bottom of my left leg - very bright red -- and painful on the one side -- I had DH rub some cortizone cream on it for itching and it hurt so bad when he touched it. Anyway, I thought it would go away by this morning. Today it is worse and hurts when I walk. I'll be going to the doctor - I'm worried it's shingles. I spent yesterday hot/cold all day - I'll be so angry if it's shingles cause when I had my physical a few weeks ago I asked about the shingles shot and the doc said you have to be 60 -- well, I also have Fibromylgia which is immune deficiency so I should have argued with him and made him give it to me. If this cancels my hip surgery Ill be really angry - I'm all geared up for it. Will try to stay positive until I get to the doctor. Just need to vent here, but by all I read on line, it sure looks and sounds like shingles to me. I'm so irritated.

Janet, great pic of you and Andrew - I saw it on FB. Love that he bought you tennis shoes -- how sweet. My SS started his new job yesterday - I'm proud that he got a job - he's working at Walmart and getting 35 hours week/so happy he found something in this economy.

Apples, your baby is gorgeous -- I noticed how gorgeous he was but kept forgetting to commnet -- he looks so huggable. I love dogs more than people most of the time. They are so faithful and loving. My little doggie laid next to me the other night, trying to give me her body warmth -- she is so sweet -- we call her a "nurse dog" cause she's always so attentive when we are sick or hurting. LOL. She's special.

Glad everyone had a great Thanksgiving. I am throwing out food today. I'm proud that I didn't gain either (didn't lose but didn't gain). I haven't been able to exercice since Monday -- hopefully will be able to get back to it soon.

Laura, the cake was beautiful -- especially the sprinkles. My DS loves Deere too -- so we always decorate with green/yellow - I usually buy him JD presents for Christmas/birthday cause he has everything. I bought him JD Christmas lights one year -- they were little tractors. So cute. I'm keeping your family in my thoughts and prayers -- you're doing great -- glad you didn't gain -- I'm sure in the past we all would have been like your DH and gained. I only ate Thursday and had a few leftovers on Friday but stayed away from that food after that. Sure tasted good though.

Well, will close -- need to call the doctor. Janet and Phyl, you girls be careful with that fudge -- let Earl eat it all.

Great -- I had low potassium too -- after LB surgery they gave me an IV of potassium -- ever since I make sure I eat a banana every day - this time my pre surgery was fine -- no low potassium.

Everyone take care and have a good day. I'll CBL. Linda

Sorry, another fly by post.

Laura...it's going to be tough for you and your family....my heart goes out to you. I hope you find the strength and love to get through this time with your Dad. Your Mom is going to need a lot of support too. I found that tougher than my Dad's passing.

Dee, Good luck with the fill....I'm not at my sweet spot yet, but I don't want to go back for a while yet. Need to get some other things under control...besides, I'm way too busy for the next month.

Janet, sorry about the knee....when do you go to the doctor. I keep wanting to send you a card, but I haven't sat down long enough to even get that far. Guess I won't be making cards for Christmas this year.

Okay....I'm already going to be late and need to go. I'll try and chat individually tonight, but I'm supposed to go to my sister's for dinner and I don't know that it will happen.

Have a great day everyone!!!

Eva

Good Morning Gang..

Linda - Hugs on the shingles - ya I bet the worrying about surgery could have brought them on. My stepmom had them and I know how painful they are - I have/had a form of shingles but it's called woodsomething - I use to get theses blisters on my finger or palm of my hand - they really came out when I was nervous about something - I haven't had it happen in yrs

I didn't know they had a shot for shingles - and why do you have to wait til your 60??

Hope it all goes well at the doc's today!!!

I hope to get my tree up today & tomorrow - Phyl is coming for dinner on Thursday and I wanted to have the house done

I am hanging with Uncle this a.m. for a few hours.

Eva - Understand busy - I am busy and I am on vacation :0)

Well gang just cking in - will ck back later..

Hi everyone

Got my decorations up finally. We had some terrible rainy weather last night. I am glad it has passed today.

Can any of you experienced banders answer a question? Why is the band tighter in the morning then in the evenings? I can barely consume a Protein Shake in the morning but by the afternoon I can eat much more. Is this normal?

Edited by nawlinzlady