Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone have Dumping Type Syndrome????

I was banded on 5/1 and I am still having episodes of diahrrea!! At first the doc said that it could be my body getting rid of the painkillers that were given in the hospital. That can't be the case now. I will have "normal" episodes, but usually around 2pm in the afternoon, I have at least 3 bouts of pure liquid diahrrea...

I'll give it a few more days and then will put a call in to my doc if it is still there.

Hello all!

I was banded on Nov 07,2007 and I just stummbled acreoss this thread and thought I would pop in and put my 2 cents in.

I agree that is not the typical "Dumping syndrome" but it does feel similar for some people. I think it really affects anyone who has had their gallbladder taken out. And for those who haven't had their removed it is most likely due to the change in diet.

I noticed it when I had too high fat content in my meats or even if I have too much milk.

The reason for the increased gas is if anyone has noticed you can't burp the same as you might have been able to do in the past due to the Band. Since it is placed on the upper stomach where it meets the esophegus the new shape of your upper stomach effects whether or not gas travels up easily. So it has to come out one way or another, mostly out the other end.

They always ask me if I have any dumping when I go in for my fills. I havent had it but I think it is common. Hope you are feeling better

"Intolerance to fats" and upset digestive process also MAY be related to altered gall bladder function postBand. Rancid fat digestion will produce similar symptoms. If it happens repeatedly with a singular food group, fats/dairy products, getting basic exam for such may prove beneficial.

With decreased congestive fatty surroundings, the common bile duct is capable of carrying a larger discharge from the gall bladder. I haven't seen any real studies of it lately, but I would suspect it becomes somewhat easier to trigger a larger release of bile products into the small intestine, which could result in more extensive fatty food digestive processing, increased gas and more watery stool.

Also, on rare occasions, but more often than we may think, we are exposed to what could be considered a 'gastroenteric episode' with loose stools/bowel motility increase because of low grade contaminated food source. High dose intake of Vit C (up around 5-8 GRAMS) will produce a type of diarrhea, as another example.

Jack's got this one right as far as my situation. I have dumping on occasion. Yes, something I do not care to do. first paragraph pretty much nails what happens to me.

I'm guessing the lactose combined with the high sugar and fat of the Cookies did the trick on you.

I've had gas/diarrhea problems since I got the band in February, and that's every single day regardless of what I eat. I'm seriously thinking of having the band removed, because I didn't want to exchange one problem for another. My dr suggested a gastroenterologist and I'm getting a colonoscopy on Monday. If it is the food that I am eating, then what am I supposed to eat -- Water? ? It seems as soon as I eat, I have to run to the bathroom and the food is not staying in my stomach.

Sometimes if a food particle gets stuck in the stoma, you might get what's called slimming when you vomit. It's just alot of mucus that can build up in your small pouch and you have the quick need to vomit.

to avoid it you have to chew your food well and eat slow and smaller amounts. I believe that dumping refers to bypass pt. when they eat sweets and it dumps into the small intestine. etc.

I have not been banded either but experience these symptoms already. salad always gives me these symptoms as well as anything spicy (red sauce on a burrito, hot sauce.. you get the idea). The minute I am done eating the food I begin getting horrible cramps. On a few occassions I honestly believed I had gone into labor (not pregnant but only thing I could relate the well timed cramping too) and was reduced to crying in the bathroom until the pain passed. It may be that my stomache cannot tolerate such things anymore but I have secret suspicions (usually dreamed up while in pain after a meal) that my body is sick of salad (ate it for every single meal for a month trying to loose weight, then this started and I stopped) and is trying to "dump" calories to try and stop gaining weight. Who knows.

Hi,

I know what you mean.... every so often I get this kind of thing. Really severe stomach cramps, followed by diahorrea (sp?). And it's very urgent -- like "I have to go, and it has to be RIGHT NOW!".

For me, I don't think it's lapband related - I have a condition called Cystic Blastocystosis, which causes huge amounts of cysts in my intestines and bowel. The "dumping" type problem has always been a side effect of CBC. I have had it for a long time, before the band. Check it out with your doctor, just in case these dumping episodes are a sign of something more serious. if it's only once a month or so, it's probably something you ate, but if it is a lot more frequently, I would check with the doc.

Hope this helps,

Annie

I really think it has to do with the change in our diets! I was going to go on MediFast once and they told me that they would know if I cheated and ate something because my blood work would be off, but also because I would be in the bathroom very quickly with diarrhea! They said my body would be so used to the liquids that if I tried to eat something sugary or greasy my body would reject it and I would get cramps and diarrhea pretty quickly--maybe it is the same thing as when you are recently banded. Your body is used to the liquid diet and can't handle the sugar or fat?!!?:confused2:

<TABLE class=tborder style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 868921" vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 align=middle width=125>dyannamelia</TD><TD class=alt1>Has Anyone Had Any Trouble With Watermelon </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

:) Not a bit!!! Watch the seeds, suck the juice

eat slowly like we are suppose to do.

<TABLE class=tborder style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 860839" vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 align=middle width=125>HarleyNana</TD><TD class=alt1>Call it what you want, but I KNOW my band has changed my "going" habits. Prior to the band, Correctol was part of my daily diet. Now 3.5 years later, the least bit of fat, ie..chips, cheese crunchies, and heaven forbid I should eat some of a bloomin onion, lol.

Thank goodness my issues are the next day and not like diarrhea.

My doctor, Lap-Band doctor not my MD, wisely gave me some superb advice when I called complaining that, basically, my back end had a "tail" if you catch my drift. Since then, I have a regular habit of using Bath and Body Works Moisturizing, Anti-bacterial soap in the pump (Coconut Verbena) added on to TP for a comfortable end to my visit with Johnny. In less than a week the pain was gone and things cleared up.

Now for the dumping syndrom. There is a culprit in your diet that sets this off. Process of elimination (pun intended) will help you zero down to what it causing it.

For me it is certain combinations of meat and cheese mixed with something else. If I have milk product with meat I can expect a TWO MINUTE WARNING...what we call it in my house (dumping). It's trial and error. Eventually you will hit a good combination in your diet that will slow this down.

My nutritionist at my doctor's office recommends fitting an all vegetarian meal into your day once in a while. I've done that. That helps.

I also drink Protein in Blue flavored raspberry mixed with Propel fit Water, Kiwi-strawberry for a fruit punch amped with 25 Protein grams and loads of Vitamins. That is my favorite meal.

I seldom have two minute warning moments these days and sitting doesn't hurt.

Hope this helps!!:thumbup:

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>