Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve

I really don't know much about the sleeve so bear with me. What is the sleeve, how does it work, what are potential complications. Congrats on your success by the way!

I am interested in hearing all of the answers to those questions, as well. My insurance has approved me for the lap band OR for the sleeve. Trying to decide which one is best for me.

Thanks, Karen

Congratulations Ace! :thumbup:

For the longest time I was wanting to get the lapband....I'm talking about 3 years! LOL. But after careful consideration, I decided that I am going to get the sleeve. I am aiming for October with Dr. Aceves. I have a few questions for you. What type of pre op diet did they make you do and how long did you have to do it. How long did they tell you to miss work? What are your post op instructions?? Is there anything in particular that you would like to share about your experience? I'm all ears!! Thanks so much! :confused:

Future

Acedeuce- I am hoping to get sleeved in September. I think it is great that you posted here. We all want to lose weight, we all want to feel better, and we all want to figure out what is the best way to reach our goals. Lap band works great for some people. Sometimes it doesn't. Thank goodness there are options out there like the sleeve or bypass. If there wasn't - and if the band did not work - then you are really in a bind- no pun intended. I was fortunate. I spent about a week living on this forum and researching, researching, researching- up to 3 or 5 hours a night. So when my surgeon suggested the sleeve out of the blue- (I had gone in for the band), I knew what he was talking about, I knew the benefits and drawbacks of each kind of surgery, and I was able to reach out and embrace the plan he thought was best for me. Keep on posting, and let me know how you are doing.

Im doing great.. 73 pounds so far and its only been a month and a half basically. I am glad you choose the sleeve. Its a no win situation you will loose weight no matter what haha. I have been trying everything (not dieting) and im loosing like crazy. Let me know if you have any questions!.

Im doing great.. 73 pounds so far and its only been a month and a half basically. I am glad you choose the sleeve. Its a no win situation you will loose weight no matter what haha. I have been trying everything (not dieting) and im loosing like crazy. Let me know if you have any questions!.

OMG- That is absolutely outrageous. Update that ticker!!! is only shows up as 20 pounds off- 73 OMG. Congratulations

Thanks so much for replying- I have been going on an Australian forum which is devoted to sleevers some of whom are former banders. But I first learned about the band here so I hope anyone out there who has not chosen the band definitively gets to at least review the sleeve. Unfortunately most insurance companies consider the sleeve to be experimental - there aren't too many old sleevers out there for long term results - but short term results are amazzzzzzzzzzzzing. Dreaming about a September sleeve.:)

Thanks so much for replying- I have been going on an Australian forum which is devoted to sleevers some of whom are former banders. But I first learned about the band here so I hope anyone out there who has not chosen the band definitively gets to at least review the sleeve. Unfortunately most insurance companies consider the sleeve to be experimental - there aren't too many old sleevers out there for long term results - but short term results are amazzzzzzzzzzzzing. Dreaming about a September sleeve.:thumbs_down:

Can you tell me what forum that is? I was going to go with the band but it didn't feel right to me and for some reason looked into the sleeve and it seems to be exactly what I need. I would love to have others to talk to about it.

Thanks

I know i seen lots of things at www.obesityhelp.com. I had the sleeve performed and would love to tell ya about it! You can message me anytime you wish and if you dont know a DR. I have one of those for you 2! Best of luck!

Never heard of the sleeve, but went to check it out at the link provided after reading 73 pounds lost in less than 2 months... is that really healthy??? Anyway, after reading about the sleeve, it seems like it is better for patients that have hundreds of pounds to lose... is that right?

nope not at all.. Anyone can get the sleeve but you will come to a dead still on loosing weight. Actually Gastric Bypass patients loose weight faster than that and yes it is perfectly healthy, ask any DR they will advise you that its great actually.

It is great to actually be able to hear from someone whom has had the sleeve. I'm hoping to get the sleeve sometime in October or November. I initially began my research on the lap band then after talking to my doctor he was wanting me to have the Roux n y surgery. Honestly I have had family members and friends that had the surgery and was fine until a couple years down the road. The doctor has talked me into considering the sleeve but was hoping to have someone let me know how they are doing and any problems they may have had. My insurance company has a manditory 6 month physician diet program as a prerequisit so I'm in that process now. Seems as though not to many places on the internet for the sleeve. I'm told its because its still kind of new. Is that correct? Or can anyone give me any additional sites to go to? How much weight have you lost now? Do you have any dumping or PB's with the sleeve?

I know that obesityhelp.com is one of the forums, I have personally lost 76 LBS now with the sleeve, I had no complications during or after the surgury and I do not require any Vitamins that roun-Y patients have to take, I have no dumping syndrome, I am not sure what PB's is. The sleeve is a restriction diet just like the band but no artificial device inside of your body. I can eat/drink whatever I want but only very small portions literally a couple small bites and im done. Yes the sleeve has only been around for like 4-5 years so there are not enough studies on the sleeve for long term patients although everything that I have read has been positive. I decided to go with the sleeve and havent looked back since. I got chewed out a while ago for posting in the lapbandtalk but whatever people have a right to know whats out there for them as the band doesnt work for everybody. PM me if you have any more questions i will be happy to answer them for you!. Hope all goes well with everything 6 months is a long time.

I've been looking at both the band and the sleeve.

I'm so torn.

I am so scared of re routing my insides to be honest.

I've been meaning to check out obesityhelp.com to look at people who have had it done.

So thank you for posting here and sharing your story.