Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! I've stopped losing weight!!

Hi, I was banded 05-14. I was about 255 originally.. 246 the day before surgery(tuesday). When I got home (saturday 05-17) i was 241. Now, a week later I am still 241. Ive been drinking 1 Protein Shake every day (approx 280 calories) a very small bowl of a Jello, and a 1-2 oz piece of cheese or a spoon of Peanut Butter to not go insane. Ive been trying to drink at least 50-64 oz of Water a day. I dont understand why im not losing weight im eating way way less than i did before. I'm sure im getting less than or about 800 calories a day.

So far as clothes fitting... they still fit the same. Im not sure if they should or if my stomach is just swollen.. Im getting scared that I won't lose any more weight. eek! :biggrin:

Hi, I was banded 05-14. I was about 255 originally.. 246 the day before surgery(tuesday). When I got home (saturday 05-17) i was 241. Now, a week later I am still 241. Ive been drinking 1 Protein shake every day (approx 280 calories) a very small bowl of a Jello, and a 1-2 oz piece of cheese or a spoon of Peanut Butter to not go insane. Ive been trying to drink at least 50-64 oz of Water a day. I dont understand why im not losing weight im eating way way less than i did before. I'm sure im getting less than or about 800 calories a day.

So far as clothes fitting... they still fit the same. Im not sure if they should or if my stomach is just swollen.. Im getting scared that I won't lose any more weight. eek! :)

That is the problem... u are not eating enough... u have to add more calories to your daily intake. trust me i am a pro at this...lol.. not sure if u watch the biggest looser but jillian went off on one of the cast becasue she had been eating like 600-800 calories and wondered why she wasent loosing weight and jillian said after a while your body will get use to only burning the 600-800 calories that you eat so u wont gain and u wont loose u will maintain.. but u are trying to loose so u have to trick your body... u have to kick it up so for like 4-days eat about 1000-1200 calories and then the next 2 eat a little less and keep that going and your u will burn that fat baby.... see because once u start to eat more calories your body will start to burn more...so when u switch back a few days and eat less your body will still be burning the 1200 calories and u would have only consumed 600-800 will result in weight loss.... its ok u can do it... :biggrin:

Hi Mstrina, I am 13 days post op. I did 10 days of preop Protein Shakes prior to surgery. I started at 227 and then on the day of surgery they weighed me at 215. By 10 days post op I weighed 208 and now today I weigh 210. I started adding soft foods this past week and at first could only get in about 500cals and that is with the Protein shakes. I made it up to 800cal yesterday but it was a challenge. I am starting to exercise more but not daily. My sister and I are joining a gym this week and will be work out buddies. Now I am afraid that my weight loss has stopped. Should I work up to 1000 cals per day? I have also been having trouble getting in all my Water. Any advise? Becky

KGlapster, you are only two weeks post op? The first month or so is for healing, not for weight loss.

Think of the shocks you have put your body through: operation, total change of diet, etc. Give yourself sometime, this is not a race. Patience.

I had stopped losing too. I continued to follow my diet and exercise and than one day when I least expected it, I started dropping pounds again. I dropped 5 pounds within 2 days. Do not give up those pounds will come off.

Hi Mstrina, I am 13 days post op. I did 10 days of preop Protein shakes prior to surgery. I started at 227 and then on the day of surgery they weighed me at 215. By 10 days post op I weighed 208 and now today I weigh 210. I started adding soft foods this past week and at first could only get in about 500cals and that is with the Protein Shakes. I made it up to 800cal yesterday but it was a challenge. I am starting to exercise more but not daily. My sister and I are joining a gym this week and will be work out buddies. Now I am afraid that my weight loss has stopped. Should I work up to 1000 cals per day? I have also been having trouble getting in all my Water. Any advise? Becky

Hey how r u beckn.... Yes I would definately amp up the calorie intake to about 1000 and even if u can't drink the Water add crystal lite, whylers lite or some type of flavor to it... because it will keep your body hydrated and when u drink water u will loose water... if u don't drink it your body will hold on to it just like if u are not eating enough.... U have done fantastic with the weight loss thus far.. and try to weigh yourself only once a week the same day so like every wed morning then weigh yourself and after u do take the scale out of the bathroom and put it in a closet so u wont see it at all i had problem with everytime i went in the bathroom i would step on the scale and it drove me crazy.... Do that and see how it works and keep me posted...

Edited by mstrina27

Hi MsTrina, Thanks for the reply and great advise. I know I am addicted to the scale and tend to weigh more than once a day...old habits die hard ya know! You sound like you have a good knowledge base and some experience to back it up. I will follow your lead on this. thanks again so much....have a great holiday weekend! Becky

Please put your scale away for at least 2 weeks.... you clearly can't be trusted with it :-)

Seriously, please focus on recovering from your surgery, let your body recover - try to keep your calories around 1000, follow your surgeons diet plan, drink your Water - and you will do just fine.

Thanks Luscious, I am trying to do all thoes things. The main thing is that I am feeling so great. I feel 10 years younger....no aches or pains. I feel that this eating correctly and getting in more fluids has released inflamation in my body. I feel more limber and flexable that I have a new lease on life and this is just the beginning!!! WOO HOO! Becky

I had my lapband put in on 12/27/07. I lost 32 lbs (from week before surgery until about March). Then I quit losing. I've been pretty much at the same weight every since. I go up a few lbs and then back down. I hover around 200 lbs, but can never get below it.

I have broken down and taken Advil for chronic pain in my tailbone and pelvic area. I wonder if the band has eroded? :unsure:

My last fill was March 9. The fills are so expensive! The first fill was over $400 and each subsequent fill is $165. That's hard on a monthly basis. I am almost to the maximum fill point anyway, they told me last time. They said I'd need maybe one or two more fills this year.

I'm pretty discouraged. I went to Mexico to have it done and spent $8200 between the surgery and flight and hotel. I'm still paying for it!

I don't eat very much and pretty much choke on food at every meal unless it's very soft stuff. :thumbup: I hope I start losing again because this is a very hard way to live!

One thing I find very hard...not being able to drink liquid when I eat. I end up having sips of liquids during every meal. Could this be why I stopped losing?

Anyone have any similar experiences?

Sunny, I had mine on the 10.8.2007 and haven't lost more than 10lbs. I didn't have my first fill until January 2008 (about 4cc in total) and another 1.5 about 3 weeks ago. Until my first fill I had been eating pretty much the same, just in smaller quantities. I'm now pbing over all solid foods, sometimes even mushies, but I still can't see any change on the scales. I hadn't been working out, but I'm now trying to make time for this. Last week I went to the beach for the first time this year in the same swimsuit, something I believed would have changed.

I'm hoping that things will get better. I admit I make mistakes like eating late, not getting enough sleep, eating too many carbs, having the occasional glass of wine and letting stress get me down.

I too really would like to know if sipping liquids could affect weight loss.

Wishing you and everyone here all the best,

Arsinoe

hi, i had lap band surgery jan,23;2008 ,i lost 8lbs 2 weeks after my surgery ,i've had 1 fill and I"m still at the weight,please tell me what to do ,i can barley eat food with the 1 fill I can't eat meat ,bread,rice, Pasta, or cheese. please tell me what to do I'm getting discourage,I know everyone's body is different but when i see people who has had lap surgery after mine and not following a diet plan is discouraging .But I'm gratful because i have not gained any weight and before lap band surgery , lost 127lbs on mine own but I gained 30lbs back ,that's when i decied to have the because i did not want to weigh 327lbs again ; so i have to thank god for small things. but i dont known what to do ? i don't want to fill like I'm choking everytime i try to eat something . On top of everything else i'm a diabetic and sometimes i'm afraid to eat out of fear of choking.:ohmy:

Hi Leah, I have been feeling somewhat discouraged lately too. I had my band on May 12th. I lost about 15 lbs pre surgery and have lost about 8 lbs since surgery. I have had one fill. I am only able to get a few bites of solids before it comes right back up. I do better with the Protein Drinks but it is difficult not being able to eat with my family. I am only getting in about 800 cals per day and haven't dropped a pound in 2 weeks. I have been exercising every other day for 30 min. In the past if I ate under 1000 cals a day I dropped weight like crazy. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. My cals are good low fat Proteins and I am eating zero junk foods. Occasionally I will have a 4 oz glass of wine. I have lost about 23 lbs since May 1st so I should be happy I guess, but I sure thought it would be more by now. I wanted to be under 200 for my son's wedding on July 19th. I now weigh 205. Help!! Becky

hi, i had lap band surgery jan,23;2008 ,i lost 8lbs 2 weeks after my surgery ,i've had 1 fill and I"m still at the weight,please tell me what to do ,i can barley eat food with the 1 fill I can't eat meat ,bread,rice, Pasta, or cheese. please tell me what to do I'm getting discourage,I know everyone's body is different but when i see people who has had lap surgery after mine and not following a diet plan is discouraging .But I'm gratful because i have not gained any weight and before lap band surgery , lost 127lbs on mine own but I gained 30lbs back ,that's when i decied to have the because i did not want to weigh 327lbs again ; so i have to thank god for small things. but i dont known what to do ? i don't want to fill like I'm choking everytime i try to eat something . On top of everything else i'm a diabetic and sometimes i'm afraid to eat out of fear of choking.:ohmy:

You know what.. When u have been loosing weight on a regular basis exp. before banding.. you have to go to extreme measures to kick the weight loss back up. Trust me when i say that while i am giving advise i am taking my own as well... If your body is use to eating 800-1000 calories you have to add more calories just 200-300 more per day for at least 5-days and then drop it back down to the 800-1000 and continue this for about a month and the weight will start to come off almost immediately. Also if you are like myself and u need psyllium husk Fiber to keep u regular and I have realized that I can't take all fiber supplements i have to take a certain brand that works well with my system... I just picked up some more today so i will be able to tell a-lot more in the morning...lol.. but if you are working out and u normally do 30-minutes do 45--and if u are doing 45-do 60.. if u are already at 60-minutes... try another excercise like stair climbing or just plain old walking... or lifting weights from 5-10lbs.. this should start the process up again....