Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 25 and I weigh 308 lbs. today. I started my journey at 324 lbs. I want to know if any one else is on the same road as I am. I have been obese for my entire life. I can't walk a flight of stairs without getting out of breath. Yesterday was the first time in about five years that I got out of the house and walked around the neighborhood. I was always a couch potato. I would eat all day long. Any time my mood changed good or bad I would eat. Anytime I watched T.V. I would eat. I just ate a bunch of junk food like, nachos, bags of chips, candy bars, chocolate chip Cookies, buttered popcorn, etc. Even after eating all day I would always take something sweet upstairs to bed. I have even let my daughter follow the same paths as I have. She is five years old and she wants McDonald's everyday after school because her granny always takes her. She is not too big now (51 lbs.) but her doctors always check her blood pressure because she is in the top 10% of her age on the weight chart. When I decided to get my life together and stop killing myself I decided to turn her around on the right track also. She cries out in the stores and throws temper tantrums because her granny won't take her to McDonald's anymore and I threw out all of the sweets and fattening foods out of our house. She is coping better now. I bought sugar free Popsicles, fat free pudding a jell-o, and different healthy Snacks that she can have. I also don't let her have these things until she eats her meals including vegetables. I have forced myself to stay on my four week EAS AdvantEdge pre-op diet. I will be banded on June 13th. Every time I see a restaurant or a commercial about food and start craving unhealthy foods, I just imagine myself fitting into my size 12 nightie. I would like someone to give me encouraging words or tell me about your experiences with you weight issues.

It sounds as if you are making great strides already. As hard as it is, you are doing it. That is something to be proud of. As far as changing your daughter's lifestyle...KUDOS TO YOU!! Her eating and exercise habits are being set for life and you are creating healthy ones for her. How much better to start at age five, rather than 30-40-50 or higher. The band will make the things your doing seem a bit easier although head hunger can be frustrating. You're doing a fantastic job!:rolleyes2:

I just had the lap band surgery on Wednesday. I am only 21 and am not enjoying being stuck in my house - though I have been told that it is my choice to not go out and do things. Either way, I was just wondering if there was anyone who has had or is planning to have the surgery who would want to talk via e-mail. I could use some support and hopefully could answer some questions if you are still considering having the surgery. If you'd like to talk shoot me a message at twelfthman51@yahoo.com .

Thanks and good luck!

-12thMan51

Good for you for making such significant changes in your life and making sure that your daughter is on the right path at an early age. I know it's hard to have your daughter so angry, but it's so much easier to incorporate those habits when kids are young. She'll get past the anger and frustration and will, one day soon, be your biggest supporter. Hang in there. All of us have been where you are to some degree and know how hard it is and how satisfying it is to be successful. Keep up the good work!!

Thank You, Pearlygirl, 12thMan51, and Cota129. I appreciate your encouragement. I can’t wait to be banded so that I can feel more comfortable and stop fighting myself to keep from picking up something to eat. I walk back and forth to the kitchen wanting to eat something but then I remind myself that I need to lose this weight and the only way to do it is to drop the old habits. 12thMan51 I would love to support you in your weight loss journey. I will e-mail you shortly.

7_5_142.gifWelcome Greatly Blessed. Kudo's to you and what you have already accomplished! Also kudos to your changing your daughters habits!

Like you I have been fat all my life. I am 49 tho. I was banded on the 13th. Best thing I have done for myself in years. I love the food network and since I had the surgery I have been obsessed with it and any other cooking shows! It is head hunger and you learn to ignore it and do the right thing. I had a ahha moment the other day. I researched the lap band and thought about it for a year. I knew going in that my eating habits would change, but it apparently did'nt make a full conection. The moment was when I realized that I will never be able to eat a cheeseburger or chili cheese dog again. (at least not like they should be) But I thought to myself you go girl! This is why I had this amazing tool put in my body, so I will be healthy, so I will be "normal" so I won't get the dirty looks like I am a rabid animal and something to stay away from, so I will see my grandchildren get married. All of this because of God's blessings. Life is wonderful and about to get amazing! Good luck on you journey.:rolleyes2:

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb095&pp=ZRxdm609NVUS

Hi:

We have something in common. I started my weight loss program at 324 pounds. That was last April (2007). This morning I weighed 196! I'm 36 pounds from goal and hope to attain that goal this year. It can be done.

I love my band because it's helped me to lose all this weight and my life is so much better.

I think it's great that you're changing your daughter's bad eating habits too.

I wish you well.

Take care.

Sue

My daughter was 25 and weighed 318 when she was banded in October 2006. She has lost about 130 lb and has an entire new outlook on life now. She is happier, healthier, and has a new boyfriend--also a bandster who has lost over 100 lb. You should be very proud that you are taking steps to greatly improve your life and your daughter's. Best wishes for all the success in the world.

Thank you all so much. Gone 4 ever I also love to watch the food network. That is where I get all of my recipes from. Since I started my pre-op diet I don’t watch much T.V. because I get frustrated seeing food commercials and programs knowing I can’t eat it. I have researched the lap band for about five years now. I have been so afraid to have the surgery though. I made a decision this year that I will no longer be the fat girl everywhere I go. Everyone has been so supportive in my journey. I haven’t told anyone other than my parents because I don’t want to be the main topic at the family reunion. NinaWoo I will e-mail you because I need all the support I can get. I also want to be supportive to others in their journey because we are all different. We all need to have a strong support group to make it. WOW! Sue Magoo. That is just the inspiration I need. I so needed to her that “It can be done”. I hope someday I can say that I weigh less than 200 lbs. I bet you are on cloud nine. Snowbird I commend you for the support you gave your daughter in her successful 130 pound weight loss. I know a mother’s support tops everything. You keep encouraging your daughter and her boyfriend because I know that means the world them. Again thank you all.

I am so thrilled for you and your wise decisions to take care of yourself and role model for your little one. I wish I had the knowledge and support that you do at 25 yrs old. I just kept on getting bigger and bigger...you will not have all of the co morbidities one gets later in life and will be so much happier, the way God intended for you to be!! I had my band put on Tues at 58 yrs old, and started with a BMI of 50 and am down 20 with preop diet, etc. I am so happy to have done this...keep your eye on the prize and thank God your Granny is supporting the no more McD's thing. The child will stop hollering and make it a fun adventure for her! Maybe she can start finding photos in magazines of good foods for you both. Nutitionists will always help with kids, show them food groups...it's fun at that age and good to know now. Good Luck Darling, I am so proud of you!! You have no way to go but up with your health and happiness. ((Hugs)) ChristyC in Michigan

I am 25 and I weigh 308 lbs. today. I started my journey at 324 lbs. I want to know if any one else is on the same road as I am. I have been obese for my entire life. I can't walk a flight of stairs without getting out of breath. Yesterday was the first time in about five years that I got out of the house and walked around the neighborhood. I was always a couch potato. I would eat all day long. Any time my mood changed good or bad I would eat. Anytime I watched T.V. I would eat. I just ate a bunch of junk food like, nachos, bags of chips, candy bars, chocolate chip Cookies, buttered popcorn, etc. Even after eating all day I would always take something sweet upstairs to bed. I have even let my daughter follow the same paths as I have. She is five years old and she wants McDonald's everyday after school because her granny always takes her. She is not too big now (51 lbs.) but her doctors always check her blood pressure because she is in the top 10% of her age on the weight chart. When I decided to get my life together and stop killing myself I decided to turn her around on the right track also. She cries out in the stores and throws temper tantrums because her granny won't take her to McDonald's anymore and I threw out all of the sweets and fattening foods out of our house. She is coping better now. I bought sugar free Popsicles, fat free pudding a jell-o, and different healthy Snacks that she can have. I also don't let her have these things until she eats her meals including vegetables. I have forced myself to stay on my four week EAS AdvantEdge pre-op diet. I will be banded on June 13th. Every time I see a restaurant or a commercial about food and start craving unhealthy foods, I just imagine myself fitting into my size 12 nightie. I would like someone to give me encouraging words or tell me about your experiences with you weight issues.

Well congratulations on taking one of the biggest steps of your life.... I thought I was reading one of my own post...lol.. because my highest weight was like 321 and when i was that heavy i lived on the 3rd floor and we did not have an elevator..:rolleyes2: so i know what u mean about being winded... I am about 270lbs now and i have lost the 51lbs pretty much on my own with my food choices, and excercising, One thing about me is that I got fat from being lazy and eating Snacks just like u said.... I didn't over eat on food i just at too much junk food... nacho's chips, Cookies, soda pop, oberwise ice cream sunday's and it takes a strong person to say NO MORE.... I am tired of being this way, not living life the way it was intended to be lived... u are taking the control back keep up the good work and u will be a success...

Thanks so much ChristyC. That is an excellent idea to let my daughter find healthy food in magazines. I printed out a children’s food guide pyramid for her to hang on the wall. She is very excited and she asks me all the time am I going to be skinny. I told her we are all going to be healthy. She encourages me in her own little way. When she sees something on T.V. that is unhealthy she says “my mommy can’t eat that”. I love her so much. Maybe I can take her to the nutritionist with me so that she can better understand why we have to eat healthier. MsTrina27 that is exactly how I got this big, being lazy and eating junk food. I really don’t always overeat. I do sometimes but mostly I stuff myself with Cookies, chips and soda. I know how to eat healthy but I can’t do it for a long period of time. That’s why I need the lap band to prohibit me from over eating. Congratulations on your 51 pound loss. I am so glad that I found this site. All of you are so encouraging.

I was 320 when I first started my weight loss adventure. I couldn't even walk on 2 on the treadmill. The best advice I can give you is to eliminate carbs, sugars, alcohol as much as possible. I lost 40 lbs preop by doing this. Good luck on your venture.