Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anti-WLS discussion today ... sigh.

Hey everyone :thumbup: Today on another forum I belong to, I brought up the topic of weight loss surgery. When people say things like this, it's so frustrating, ugh. Mind you, I'm not banded, but it is something I'm hoping to get the ball rolling on after I'm settled in from my move in the next month or so. Anyhow, on with the convo, their replies are bolded (just edited to add the end):

-----

i refuse to do that and I'm probably bigger than you are. I exercise 5 days a week and eat less now. I know i can do it on my own. i can already see a difference in my body and it's only been 3 weeks.

I wouldn't bet on that : I've been extremely overweight my entire life, have tried every diet, plan, pill, exercise since 7th grade -- I'm 21 now. I lose weight but always gain back more than I lost. My problem is I'm a severe overeater and as much as I try, it's extremely difficult for me to get it under control. Now I'm the biggest I've ever been and after a lot of research and reading, I really feel like the lap band is something that will help me get it under control.

yea see i don't have a problem. I just like to eat. i'm 295lbs. how much you weigh?

I'm 5'9 and ~350lbs.

i'm 5'9" too. i used to be at 320 at one point. and i still lost it by doing exercise. i had just stopped at 290 and gained a bit but now i'm going to lose everything.

I was down to 200 in the spring of 2006 after busting my ass, and now here I am. Just curious, are you against weight loss surgery in general or just for yourself?

i'm really against it. i feel like if you can walk, you can exercise. people shouldn't rely on quick fixes. if you got to 200lbs and gained that much weight back, not to be rude, but do you honestly think you can just getting surgery is going to stop you from gaining weight back?

I don't see this as being a "quick fix" as I have literally tried nearly everything to get my weight under control for about the past 10 years. Half of my life. And yes, I do honestly think that after being banded it will help me -keep- my weight in control. It restricts your intake, and like I said, that is my problem. I'm a member on the Lap Band Talk Forum and after seeing all the success stories, especially from people who have even more to lose than myself, I feel like this is the right thing for me. Agree to disagree?

The thing is, i've seen so many people gain weight right back with that stuff. look at al roker or the chick from Wilson Philips (famous examples) it might restrict your intake but if you are an emotional eater, what's going to happen when you get depressed? the lap band isn't going to stop what's going on in your head. that's my big problem with it. people don't realize that the reason they over eat might be to cover up pain. Me, it's sheer boredom and just loving the taste of food. Now I know better.

You can say the same thing about good old diet and exercise. The band is a tool to help you, not a miracle. The help along the way is what I need.

the help with why you over eat is what you need first. not the band. once you figure that out, then do what you want. know what i mean?

Like I said... I've tried everything, including mental help.

then honestly, the lap band isn't going to work for you (...WHAT? who are you?! lol) you'll lose a lot of weight but probably put it back on again if you over eat. i don't know why you don't see what i'm trying to say here.

i just don't want someone to go through an operation and then have it come out not how they planned. i care dammit!

And I don't know why you don't see what I'm saying, and I'm sorry for that coming out rude if it did. The band KEEPS you from overeating. You attempt to eat more than what the fill allows, and you become sick. You're forced to eat only until you are full, which is typically very little. And I feel that once I do get to a satisfactory weight, if only by my own standard, I won't have the issue of overeating and will be able to exercise much easier than I am now.

the thing is, if it completely worked, then no one would ever get fat again. i mentioned 2 people who it didn't work for and they had gastric bypasses. i just don't want it to happen to you.

but if you feel like it'll work then i guess you should give it a shot. i'm sure you've looked at the risk and hope it goes well.

ty :thumbup: and ty for being civil.

---

Sorry, just wanted to vent. I just don't get some people... :cursing:

--Dyzzi

Edited by Dyzzi

Oops, I think I may have put this in the wrong place! If this needs to be moved to General Discussion, please do! :cursing:

7_5_142.gifWelcome Dyzzi. I am no expert here. Only banded 1 1/2 weeks ago, but done a ton of research before doing it. There is a world of difference in LB and GBP(gastric by pass) You are right LB is a tool and you do throw up if you eat to much. But you don't want to do that on a regular basis cause your band could slip. You have to do what is right for you, not what other people think is right. Sounds like your freinds are kinda jelous and scared that you may not be their freind anymore if you get this done. Just follow your heart and do what you feel is right for you. Good luck

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb113&pp=ZRxdm609NVUS

it totally sounds as if this person didn't know much about WLS except stories that they had heard, particularly since they were confusing bypass patients with band patients. i would have been frustrated by them, too.

one thing that i hope that YOU understand is that you do need to work on your problem with overeating, and the band won't help with this. yes, it will restrict your intake, but no, you can't rely on vomiting to keep you in line. you have to be diligent about NOT overeating, because with the band, overeating can mean taking 2 or 3 bites more than you should have. and the band doesn't stop you from snacking or eating what you shouldn't. you can graze your way through a pack of oreos in 24 hours (believe me on this one, i speak from recent experience).

i'm sure you've heard all of this before, but i just wanted to reiterate for everyone that the band really is just a tool, and emotional eating issues are probably BAND ENEMY #1. you really have to deal with them if you want the band to work out. it definitely helps you deal with them because you have the positive feedback of losing weight. but if you don't deal, then you'll plateau and stop losing, and you'll have to work out the issues. i speak from experience because i'm there right now.

blah blah blah to your buddy.... well actually I think you are both right. I have personally never met an obese person that did not get their through thier own actions or inactions. So if you do what you have always done then you will get what you always got, regardless of surgical procedures. Don't be fooled by false security with the band or RXY or the sleeve. These are all procedures that will set you up to be successful. But you can most certianly destroy the beneifts of these surgeries, and it is easy. There are loads of banders that will talk about 'eating around the band" and the slippery foods. I tell anyone asking about the surgery this...look inside and be ugly honest. Know that the surgery is only a tool and the rest is up to you...and yes I personally say take all the tools and help you can get. then keep asking the hard questions. Are you someone that will exercise? If you have the surgery and its 2 months out and you have only lost 20 lbs are you going to be disappointed? if you are not a high school jock, and you would be bummed with only losing 20 lbs in 2 months then seriously consider the malabsorption surgeries and not the band. From the banders that I personally know that have been happy with their results they exercise at least 3 x's a week and used to be jocks. They REALLY were ready to wait 2+ years to get the weight off and they were not frustrated by the RNY people at our support group that can lose 40 + lbs in 2 months and 100+ lbs in 8 months. oh ya and we do meet once a month rain or shine in person

Dyzzy, I think I know which forum you're talking about cause I received the same kind of response when I mentioned I was getting WLS. I was banded on April 23rd & I'm happy with the results so far & would do it over in a minute. You have to do what you feel is right for you . Good luck in your journey.

BTW, I'm sorry if I came across sounding that the vomiting is what helps you lose weight. What I was trying to say is that the band restricts you from eating -- the obvious outcome being that, if you DO overeat, you will become sick.

Also, I personally wouldn't consider myself an emotional eater. Not quite sure why or how the person responding to me assumed that was me, lol

I'll be honest I sounded alot like that girl about 2 or 3 years ago. There are alot of people who can lose weight the old fashion way and are successful at keeping it off. Unfortunatly that's not me. I've been on diet after diet for 20 years and I'm only 23. You name it, I've tried it. I've busted my butt on the tredmill and lost weight only to end up exhausted, starving and frustrated at my results when I gained it all back, plus some. I laughed when she said "this time I'll lose everything." LOL! How many times have we all said that? The next diet is always the last time, until we get to a point where enough is enough. When we're done with the fad diets, done with yo-yo dieting, done with being fat. Just done with all. And it's finally sink or swim time, put up or shut up. And we make the decision to change our lives for good. When she gets to that point, she'll understand, or she'll end up living out her life being miseriable being fat. Or maybe, just maybe, this is the last time for her. But don't let people like her get to you. She obviously isn't educated on the subject and doesn't know what she's talking about. Do what's best you.

I agree with Julie. These boards are great. Who understands banding better than those who have been through it and can relate from personal experience.

There are so many people out in the world who will offer strong opinions on topics that they are not familiar with.

It is always best to do your own soul searching, being truthful with yourself and following your heart to the best path for you.