Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

banding in the uk on nhs?

i live in the uk and asked my gp if banding was available on the nhs he said he didnt know and a diet is better anyway? has anyone in scotland or england had it on the nhs and how did you go about it, all help greatly appreciated as had enough of being fat,and endless dieting:blink::confused_smile::thumbs_up:

tracey.x

Hi Tracey

I am having mine done on the NHS, I live in Sussex and am having it done at St Richards in Chichester. The surgeons are very well known and also do a lot of private work. I started off by doing my research and approaching my doctor about having the op. He had never had anyone that wanted it before and I had to prove I had tried several other ways of losing weight.

I was referred to my local hospital which was unlucky as they only did the vertical gastric band which is a whole different ball game. Then luckily for me my local hospital stopped offering this operation and I was given a list of 3 hospitals that performed bariatric surgery in my area.

It meant I had to start the whole process again but it also meant I got the operation I wanted. It's taken a long time and some of it is down to post code lottery, you have to get funding from your local PCP for the operation. All in its been about 3 years for me but I am having mine done in June. I think this time span is way way above average but that’s just how it panned out for me. I would start by finding out where the lapband is available in your area and then go back to your docs and ask for a referral.

Hope this helps

KiKi XX

Hi I researched gastric banding on the internet and went armed with facts for my GP but I did not need them. He agreed to refer me straight away. The PCT sit once a month and decide on each persons merits for what they are asking. My local hospital's dont carry out the proceedure so if approved I will travel to another hospital. I spoke to the GP's secretary and she was very helpful, I told her the reasons I wanted the op and she said depending on what he had dictated in his letter she could add more to give a better picture. My BMI is 35, I have high blood pressure and did have high cholestrol which was reduced with meds. I also have trouble breathing when laying down and I am tired all the time. I meet the criteria I just hope some nice person looks down at my letter during that meeting and makes something happen for me. Some friends tell me to think positive others say dont get your hopes up. I have tried every diet apart from fad ones, exercise and tried slimming tablets from the doctor my weight just steadily gains, never stabilies. I need this treatment and my doctor said he would tell them that. I was also told if the PCT say no the doctor can request it again. I will not give up. Hope this helps.

Im 22, my bmi is 44, i been overweight since i was a child, i tired every diet you name it, herbal diet pills, my gp have gave me different types of diet pills, nothing seem to work with me. i was on liquid diet with lighterlife in 2005 and managed to loss 10kg in 3 weeks thats 22pounds which was amazing for me to loss that much. since then my weight started going up and down light a yow-yow.

In December 08, i have asked my Gp in london, what she thought of me having lapband, i told her i was going to middle east in Syria to get it done there because i can't offord to do it in private in UK.. She offered me to do it in NHS and reffered to the hosptial, i had my appointment to see the doctor in feb 09, since then i had to see the dietitian, and have my sleep study and finally see the psychologist.

The psychologist needs to get to the bottom of the reason why you over eat!!! and that you are in a stable mental condition to deal with life post operation. ( BE HONEST WITH THEM AND MAKE SURE YOU DONT MENTION THAT YOU HAD HARMED YOURSELF FOR NOT LOSSING WEIGHT IN THE PAST).

On the 08 of July 09, I was finally approved for the lapband. I sow my surgeon and he then gaved me my operation date on the 11 of august 09.

Im scared but at the same time im so happy to get though on NHS.

Tips, Most important part is to have a good history record on the Gp system, such as pain on the legs of been over weight, and get your gp to give you diet pills such as reductil, xencal, Acomplia, metformin and sends you to dietition. ( if your gp don't mention these diet pills to you, you mention it to your doctor). I asked for reductil and xencal and acomplia but at the end after not lossing much weight she recommended metformin. I didn't loss much and i got fid up with pills.

If you don't loss weight, she can refer you to get lapband without refusing. I dont have health problems such as diabetes or high blood pressure. but I do admit I have PCOS- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome , which is the main problem for not lossing weight.

I hope this information is helpful.

Goodluck with your journey.

:)

Manal Rajab

Hi tracy is was on the waiting list to get the band in the glasgow area for two years.I had been approved to have the surgery done and had all my bloods done. Been to a phychologist and a dietician had ann endascope and after all that i was told there was no funding and to come back and see them in a year and they would review it again.

So for me that was the final straw i got a bank loan went to belgium had the surgery private and the rest is history.:)

Edited by bobobaldy

Hi Tracey, in australia you can get medicare to cover it (like nhs) but the waiting list, the obstacles and the all the other crap is inbelievable. I had mine done privatley and have not looked back. I thought about the money because it is a lot, but i would of spent that anyway on crap food and hair brained diets, Over the years i could of paid for it 3 or 4 times.

good luck

Chooky

Hi ya i am new to this so hi everyone!!,i have just started out on the path on the nhs to get it done,(fingers crossed) anyways, i have been to my gp and he says firstly they need documented proof of tring to loose weight for 5 yrs,which i have, then you will get referred to the local hospital and put on a 6 month programme to loose weight and see their consultants and only then they will consider you for surgery! soooo basically diet for 6 months and then they will refer you for surgery!

i will let you know how i get on this wed 22nd july about the referal!

sorry if i have just bored the pants off of you guys!

WOW!!! Just cannot wait for national health to come to the US.!!! Should I make an appointment now, if I think I'll need a fill in the nex 2-3 years????????