Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone found their grocery bill.....

going way down?

I was just sitting here thinking of all of the good things a band will be doing for me, :leaving: and one of the things that came to mind is the fact that I will be eating alot less food. And in this day and age with the price of food going through the roof my grocery bill will be WAY less. Is this true??:confused2:

My husband is kinda on the fence about the band. He wants to support me, and I know he will when the time comes, but the idea of the band skivves him out a bit. LOL!! If I can tell him that our food budget will almost be half of what it is now I am sure that will thrill him!:sneaky:

So...how much has your food bill gone down??????

I am not banded yet, but will be on Fri 5/23 and have been on my pre-op diet for over a week already. I havent gone grocery shopping yet since begining my diet but in the last week I must have saved $70 on my breakfasts and lunches at work. I used to spend $4+ a day on coffee and a bagel every morning for Breakfast and atleast $7-10 on lunch. I am so excited at the thought of never going back to this. Now I am going to use my grocery and lunch money savings for new clothes and shoes!:leaving:

OMG, that's funny.

I haven't measured the difference, but yes, the food bill at the grocery store is less AND the restaurant tabs are much lower.

I'm sure there's some one here will give you some hard data to support your thinking.

You can add better gas milage too for having to haul less weight I suppose too.

However, the cost of new clothes will eat any savings you might see....but you don't need to tell DH that!!!!

My DH will be so stoked when he realizes how much money we will be saving:biggrin:!! He doesn't do the shopping and can't understand why I can't do our food shopping these days for under $150.00 a week :leaving:...... But when he will see the post-op shopping receipt he will be on happy man . Hehehehe!!!!:sneaky:

Not really looking for hard figures...but this is one thing (besides the weight loss) that we don't think about much....Well, at least I didn't!!

well considering that I no longer go to restaurants, rarely go out anywhere to eat. I also find that I don't spend money on junk food at the store and a lot of foods I cannot eat (THANK GOD!) I spend about $400 less a month on food... Spending no more than $100 a month for just me.

I don't feel like I am giving anything up either, I still eat healthy gourmet food.< /p>

Thanks

omg, how are you saving money? i'm spending more. i'm only buying chicken breast, turkey meat (burgers, ground, etc) fresh veggies/fruits, only healthy foods, trying to buy no/low sugar, etc. All this healthier, fresher foods is more expensive. Which i've always known, but when thats all i buy, its more obvious.

Most of our groceries come from the perimeter of the store, and i try to stay out of the interior aisles. Maybe its because i adjusted the whole family's diet when i adjusted mine (felt it was the best to make sure only healthy foods were in the house). the only full sugar thing i cant break hubby of is his mountain dew, which i've tried but its not going to happen.

To save a little bit of money, i've started checking all the ads and then i have to jump from store to store to get the best deals, even though i'm sure whatever i am saving is being spent on gas to do this.

yes, even though i'm eating less, i still have 2 others to feed and what i'm feeding them costs more than what we used to buy.

omg, how are you saving money? i'm spending more. i'm only buying chicken breast, turkey meat (burgers, ground, etc) fresh veggies/fruits, only healthy foods, trying to buy no/low sugar, etc. All this healthier, fresher foods is more expensive. Which i've always known, but when thats all i buy, its more obvious.

I Haven't gotten my band yet and i'm the same I cannot see it saving money in the long run cause I have 2 kids and my BF that still eat.

One of the reasons I have a weight problem is that alot of the white carb foods, Pasta, rice, white bread etc. is way cheaper then the more healthy options.

I am finding that since adjusting the whole familys diet to healthier options (Still a long way to go though) is costing MORE =/.

I think that along with the acess to fast foods in this country has

allot to do with why so many people are having weight problems anymore. Its costs less to stretch meals more with things like rice or Pasta then to add more fresh vegtables or whole grains.

Well I am saving some but not as much as I thought because I am eating more fish and fresh fruit and veggies, they do cost more. I do know that I don't go to the store as much as I did in the past though.

So it seems that if you are single, then you end up saving money because you arent spending the money on eating out and extra junk food. And, if you have a family then you are spending more money because you have to buy all the healthy food for people with "normal" stomachs too. I'm just glad I fit into the "single" category! Hehe....well, hopefully I wont for long!

I've been buying all the healthy options for a LONG time now, so we should see our grocery bill start dipping down some as soon as I can eat again. Ever since I learned not to be afraid of ground turkey and brown rice I bought those 99% of the time over the other stuff.

Plus, when something that has a good shelf life is on sale, I stock up BIG time.

my grocery bill has doubled. I have completely changed my diet to whole grains, fruits, veggies, and lean protein....Expensive to eat healthy.

hehe went I left my ex husband in 200 I found I totally changed my groceryshopping/eating habits. Cause he was a meat/potatoes/bread kind of person and had fits if I made anything healthy. Didn't like things like fish, seafood, chicken, rice or veggies.

So once I left him now I RARELY buy beef at all. I use ground turkey for things that I used to use beef for in the past, we now eat waaaaaay more variety of dishes from other cultures like mexican, thai or asian foods. And more fresh foods if and when we go out places we try to encourage the kids to try more variety of foods then they had access to before. And come to find out they ADORE seafood and fresh fruit. And SUSHI lol. Which they said yuck to in the past till they actually tried it.

Pretty much weaned them off the sugary Breakfast cereals and such too.

Next on the list is getting my daughter to stop eating rameen 3 times a day.

Unfortunately, no I havent but that's probably because I have 3 growing children two of whom are now approaching puberty, and a husband who cleans up my plate! What with the cost of groceries skyrocketing like they have (12 years of drought in australia now), we've held even, which probably means that we're doing better than we were.

DH is getting banded on 6 june, I suspect we WILL notice the difference then. As it stands for example, I buy the same number of lamb chops I always did, I just dont finish mine. But he eats 3 at a sitting and will drop to one kind of thing. Also all the fresh bread from the bakery weekend lunches will finish becuase its him that drives that, so will the buying chocolate and chips on his way home from work, so will 3 eggs and a few pieces of toast at breakfast time etc etc. I never ate like that in the first place, what probably happens now is that I'll get 3 more serves out of a box of muesli, but it still costs the same to buy the box kind of thing.

I have to agree it does cost more to feed a non banded person more to eat healthy than it does otherwise and that's one of the reasons for the obesity epodemic in the US.

Yesterday I bought my DD a half pint of raspberries for $3.49 which made one snack for her.

I could have bought a package of Cookies that would have made many many Snacks for her for the same price.

Mind you the manufacturer of those Cookies gets tax breaks and the supplier of the ingredients get financial breaks too from the government. It's a shame.

There's a need for cheap abundant food for people living in poverty it's just a shame that that cheap food is so bad for a person.

Sorry to hyjack the thread...