Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am on my third day of this medifast diet, it's so bland!!! The Tomato Soup looks like barf! and tastes almost as bad! The oatmeal looks like gruel. Ugh, I have to be on this for 14 days prior to surgery. (fatty liver)

I can hang for 2 weeks, but I googled medifast and found their website. People actully use this for long term weightloss!! I can't believe it, I've been on many diets but never one so yucky!! Knowing that I have only a week and a half left and there is a light at that end of the tunnel makes it doable! :leaving:

Years ago I had a girlfriend who lost about 80 lbs. on a doctor-supervised MediFast diet. At the time, a doctor would only put you on the diet if you were severely overweight and needed to lose weight really fast. This was in the days before weight loss surgery was common. I was on MediFast for my pre-op diet too and I thought about her.... I don't know how she did it!

I was only drinking the liquid Protein MediFast drinks (no Soup, oatmeal, etc.) and didn't find them too bad at all. The first few days I was drinking EAS (an over the counter drink that is similar) because my doctor was out of MediFast, and I liked the MediFast a whole lot more. I also was allowed to have a healthy dinner up to 450 calories in addition to 3-4 MediFast a day so that probably made it more bearable.

I use newlifestyles..... They have very similar items to Medifast. the difference is Medifast is soy based and new life styles is milk based..... The Tomato Soup is good if you doctor it up a little... add some garlic powder and some onion powder.... a little cumin and chili powder... Makes it really good.... Add some splenda and some cinnamon to the oatmeal.... a little vanilla extract is good too.

If you go back to the MF website and look for recipes you can find ways to doctor them up. I slow cook the Soups and stew on the stove for 10-15 minutes. For the Tomato Soup I add dried parsley, ground black pepper and garlic powder. For the beef stew try adding the same plus chopped celery.

I actually like most of their shakes better than most.

Hi, Hang in there. I was on Optifast only for two weeks. 5 small shakes a day. But..... My band surgery was only 12 mins. long. The shortest I have ever heard of. The liver was fine, small, and out of the way. Short surgery equals short time under general which means quick recovery and for me, no gas pains. I lost 20 pds pre op and 20pds first two weeks post op, so.... 40 pds down and only 40 to go before my first fill was done.

OMG...I feel like Im losing my mind! This Medifast sucks! SEriously I feel like crying.

I had to take a nap earlier because I was so hungry.

Oatmeal, eggs, and snack bar were ok. hot chocolate and chix noodle Soup were HORRIBLE. Right now Im doin the chili and its ok. I am for sure goin to the store to get sugar free jello/popsicles which they say I can have also.

I gave up smoking 17 days ago and I tell ya ...THAT was easier than this diet. Ugggg..:thumbup:

OMG...I feel like Im losing my mind! This Medifast sucks! SEriously I feel like crying.

I had to take a nap earlier because I was so hungry.

Oatmeal, eggs, and snack bar were ok. Hot chocolate and chix noodle Soup were HORRIBLE. Right now Im doin the chili and its ok. I am for sure goin to the store to get sugar free jello/popsicles which they say I can have also.

I gave up smoking 17 days ago and I tell ya ...THAT was easier than this diet. Ugggg..:rolleyes2:

I am SO SO SORRY that you are having it this bad, If you can believe that this does get better and can get through the first 3 or 4 days it will get so much easier. After you get into ketosis (by day 3/4) you will NOT be hungry, just don't give in and drink more Water.

Most people don't like the chicken noodle soup, and for foods that you don't enjoy wait a while and then try them again ok? As your taste buds will change.

Yes have the approved Snacks and drink Water. You can do this. Today was officially 40lbs for me in 11 weeks, NOTHING and I MEAN NOTHING has ever worked for me.

Stopping the smoking and then starting a diet - HOLY MOLY you are brave:eek:

You can do this

Yeah, I am in the pre-op hell too. Hang in there. There IS light at the end of the tunnel and you will be so happy postop for the weight you lost pre-op.

I did Medifast pre-op. My PCP suggested I try it for a permanent plan, so I did. UGH. I lasted about a week on that attempt. So I had plenty left when it came time for pre-op diet.

I managed to gag it down and make it through the two weeks, but it was not a fun time for me, that is for sure. I'd just hold my breath and chug the shakes.

I made it through and my surgeon said my liver was nice and small. So it IS worth it. You can DO it!!!

Best wishes,

Denise