Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OMG!!! Dinner Party Disaster

Last Friday I went to a friends house for dinner. We have a rotating, women only, dinner engagement amongst friends on Friday nights. No one knows that I am banded other than my husband.

Well, everyone knows I am dieting. It has become obvious in the weight loss. Although for some reason the early, bigger losses were not noticed by people as much as late, smaller losses. Perhaps the smaller you get, 5-10 pounds lost here and there really shows.

For many months I have been eating little, avoiding bread and sweets, saying that I am dieting and that I ate a little before I came so I'm not very hungry. The only item I really indulge in is tea.

Well, last Friday I had a small piece of homemade thin crust pizza. I ate maybe 2-3 bites worth and maybe 2 bites of salad . . . and I got stuck for the first time in front of all my friends. I tried to look normal and everyone kept talking (avoid the deer in the headlights stare if you know what I mean). So I said excuse me (it is a little hard to talk when you are stuck) and I go to the bathroom. I knew a pb was coming so I helped it along . . . this means opening my mouth over the commode while standing so that gravity helps the slime and what have you escape. I was gone a good 5-7 minutes.

So no big deal, time to breathe a sigh of relief. I was gone for a while but nobody seems to notice much other than me because people are in the midst of conversation.

So I sit for a while and push the food around my plate a little, I know I won't eat another bite. I don't feel very comfortable but I am not in pain. I take a tiny sip of hot tea hoping that it would help with the soreness and it was a HUGE mistake. All of a sudden I need to get to the bathroom as fast as possible and I dare not speak before leaving the table. For the first time since being banded, I vomited. I barely had time to close the door. Not all of it made it into the right place either and I found myself shamefully cleaning the bathroom carpet as well. :thumbup:

So I come back for the second time and everyone is glancing my way. I said my stomach has been upset today since lunch, perhaps my lunch disagreed with me. Then the joking starts about being pregnant, etc.

Well . . . I survived it. I guess the lesson learned is that now that I am at good restriction, I have to be really careful about untested foods. I may not want to try something new for the first time with a group of people that don't know my "secret."

Awww. I'm sorry you were embarrassed. These things happen though, I'm sure they would understand but I can understand how you want to keep it a secret. I've been shouting it out through the hills though. I am super excited to change my life.

What a bummer! Glad you made it through and thanks for sharing. You may have saved some of us from suffering the same fate.

You wanna talk about embarassing...try PB'in in a resturant in the aisle because you couldn't make it to the bathroom. Now THAT's embarassing (and gross)!

I'm glad you made it to the bathroom and your secret is safe! OHHH the things we go through, but I wouldn't change being banded for the world!!!

Heather - Sorry to hear about your dinner party trouble. I almost did that a couple of weeks ago at game night. It was before I was filled so I tried to eat a bite of a taquito. Nope, didn't work. I had the deer in the headlights look as well. I'm new to the group and only know two of the women well (they know I've been banded). I really didn't want to PB in front of people I've never even seen before. I managed to fight it and it stayed down, but I was dying by the end of the night. I've also had a problem with burping without knowing it's coming. I'm terrified it's going to happen when I'm speaking in public. Nothing like burping while using a microphone! :thumbup:

I haven't PBd yet, thank God, but I can definately relate to the sudden escape of air!! I often can't control burps or farts. It's gotten to be a joke at home. My husband says, "oh the little frog is here again?" Or "Damn, that little duck has been busy!" So now we have "creatures" that live with us..... LOL

It is a hard thing to cover up with out someone thinking you have an eating disorder.

Best of Luck in the future

I'd say I had a stomach virus or some such thing if I tossed my Cookies at friend's house and it was apparent something was amiss.

Sorry you had to deal with that. Ugh.

HeatherO - I am sorry you had that incident, and I continue to hope it never happens to me.

I found myself shamefully cleaning the bathroom carpet as well. :thumbdown:

Bathroom carpet? I've never heard of a carpet in a bathroom - and the clean freak in me is now imagining the logistics of keeping it clean.

Thanks for sharing. Since I have good restriction I can no longer eat pizza either. I know that some foods that weren't problem foods before good restriction tend to be problems later. I'm glad to know this because I am going to a wedding and reception in June and nobody knows I'm banded so I will have to be very careful with my food choices as I have a tendency to not do well with beef, bread, pizza, over cooked chicken and some Pasta. I'm sure the list goes on but I haven't ran across the other items yet.

HeatherO - I am sorry you had that incident, and I continue to hope it never happens to me.

Bathroom carpet? I've never heard of a carpet in a bathroom - and the clean freak in me is now imagining the logistics of keeping it clean.

You've never heard of carpet in a bath room? Are you in the US? lol:biggrin2:

I have two bathrooms that are carpeted and no problems keeping them clean.

Yikes! Glad to hear it turned out okay, and thanks for sharing your lesson with us all.

BTW, I've never seen a carpeted bathroom either :thumbup: