Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My nightmare hospital experience this weekend

I just wanted to give an update about my new doctor. His name is Dr. Marsden. I wish I would have seen him to begin with!

I told him that I didn't want to take any credibility away from my previous surgeon, because I believe that he is a great doctor overall. I would probably still recommend him as far as surgical skills are concered. I just told my new doctor that I felt that my previous doctor blew me off when I had serious concerns. Dr. Marsden actually gave me an explanation for why I was having pain. He said that the type of band that I have always has a small amount of Fluid in it. He said that a lot of the younger doctors seem to overlook that. He said that since I started having pain right about the time that I was eating solids that the band was probably too tight! I told him that the previous doctor actually tried to remove fluid. He said that it is likely that he probably didn't access the port correctly. He said it makes sense because the pain went away as the band became looser. I felt so happy to finally have an explanation for what I was going through! He is a wonderful doctor with many years of experience. I am very glad my friend recommended him to me. The message that I would like to get across to bandsters old and new is that if you are having problems and you know something is not right despite what you are being told...get a second opinion! It is your RIGHT. Do not let doctors or hospitals bully you. I will NEVER be put in that position again, and I hope that by sharing my story I might save someone from going thru what I went thru.

I just want to thank everyone for their support and encouragement thru this tough time for me. It really means a lot!

80s chick ~

I am so glad to hear that this worked out. It is scary enough when you are going through something like that, but to be treated with disrespect by the people whose job it is to help you is just wrong.

I hope you continue to feel better each day and am so glad you found a new doctor who you feel good about.

80s_chick,

Good to know and I'm glad things worked out for your. We were all concerned about your physical problems as well as the treatment you received at that time and it's not always easy to switch surgeons like that and you should give yourself a pat on the back for doing it!

Anyway glad to know you're OK, brandyII.:lol:

Thank God you found another doctor!! I'm so glad you're doing better.

These kind of stories terrify me. It's so insane that a human being can be treated like this and the people that do it are allowed to continue without any kind of action being taken against them.

I've tried to sue a doctor before and was turned down by every lawyer in town...my father (a 3 times cancer patient at the time) was running high fevers and his tongue was swelling, he couldn't eat and was pale (he looked very sick). His primary care doctor kept telling him he was having a reaction to shellfish (my father hadn't eaten shellfish in years). Finally we took him to the hospital, he had advanced liver cancer (died 2 wks later).

I had literally BEGGED his PCP to give him a CT scan, he said and I quote, "it's not needed, you get in there and start seeing things you don't need to know about."

Uhh, wtf?

I sent him a "Thank You" card the day of my father's funeral...I'm still very angry about it (and it was 10 years ago).

I can't imagine how you felt being in that hospital room in that much pain only to be ignored...not only ignored but laughed at. I just don't know what to say...that experience must of been like a nightmare.

Michelek,

I don't know who is treated worse in medical settings the elderly or overweight people, it's too close to call. But I kind of feel for you as I too struggled with my dad trying to get medical attention and felt like he was ignored a lot because of his age. It was very frustrating, that was in the great state of Florida which I'm not sure if I would choose to retire there when I'm older after what I have dealt with down there! Sorry about your dad. brandyII

I understand your anger, my dad died 2 years ago and I still have files of letters and stuff on the computer dealing with complaints etc.....

Michelek,

I don't know who is treated worse in medical settings the elderly or overweight people, it's too close to call. But I kind of feel for you as I too struggled with my dad trying to get medical attention and felt like he was ignored a lot because of his age. It was very frustrating, that was in the great state of Florida which I'm not sure if I would choose to retire there when I'm older after what I have dealt with down there! Sorry about your dad. brandyII

I understand your anger, my dad died 2 years ago and I still have files of letters and stuff on the computer dealing with complaints etc.....

Yeah, it's pretty disgusting. My father was "only" 63 when he died, which to me is young but I realize it's considered older to a lot of people. Funny thing is, his doctor was probably only 10 years younger then him at the time he was ill.

I did feel he was ignored because he was older, and a 3x cancer patient. I think they pretty much "gave up" when he got sick again.

I'm in Oklahoma and I agree, our medical community needs to start treating some of us with a lot more respect. There are many providers that are wonderful....but the ones that treat people like crap because of their weight or age (or any reason!) need a kick in the pants.

It may be a cultural problem that we don't have the respect for the elderly as we should and it's reflected in our medical system too!

63 is way too young, I'm sorry. brandyII.

Michelek,

I don't know who is treated worse in medical settings the elderly or overweight people

Actually, the chemically-addicted folks are usually the most challenging to hospital workers' patience.

this is true...i know from experience...

Actually, the chemically-addicted folks are usually the most challenging to hospital workers' patience.

Are the chemically addicted elderly getting the treatment from the doctors that they need? Is this a new field?

So glad to hear that you are doing better and your new doctor is giving you the help and respect you deserve. I was very appalled to hear of your treatment, that is just horrid!

If the supervisor doesn't resolve your issue demand a transfer to the ER, and if they don't give it to you, discharge yourself and go the to ER.

Please don't ever do this. If you discharge yourself (leaving against medical advice) your insurance will not pay for the visit. If you feel you have been miss treated (and you were) contact your insurance. Believe me, people in the health care industry work for money (I know I'm in nursing in a hospital) and by calling your insurance and holding up payment your hitting them where it hurts!

OMG!!!! I can't believe that a Doctor would treat his own patient that way. In a bad mood or not, he did your surgery and he should have took the time to make sure it was nothing to do with your band. I'd call his office and ask for his voicemail tell him who you are, remind him of what he did and how it made you feel, then ask him if he remembers the Doctors oath he took? I'm not one for doing something to hurt another person, but I'd make sure everyone within 100 miles of this doctor knows exactly what kind of a doctor he is.

Now, I know of a Doctor in Alabama that was something like this doctor. He had no good bedside manners and was slapping his nurses on the face and even threw one across the room. I believe he was hitting some of his patients also. This Doctor is no longer practicing and had his lisciense taken away from him.

You said something about no proof of malpractice, well in my opinion, if you are a doctor and you flat out refuse to listen to your patient and then not want to give them anything to help them with pain, (especially after surgery) that is malpractice, he didn't know what was wrong with you. It could have been anything, could have been something as severe gas pains to something fatal, and had it been fatal, he would have been at fault. You have the nurses that witnessed it, id have them to right a statement of what happened that night. Also about the techs just standing in your doorway laughing and you and the other people on the intercom laughing at you, they could and should lose their liscense. I don't care who you are, you could be a junkie, a drunk, or anything else, when you walk into a hospital, you are suppose to feel safe and secure with the doctor(s) and Nurse(s) that are suppose to care for your medical needs whether they think something is wrong with you or not!!!

Please, don't stop looking for an attorney to help you, I'm sure somewhere out there you will be able to find one. You keep it up and you will walk out of a court room owning that hospital for the lack of care.

I hope you are able to find a Doctor that you can and will feel safe and secure with soon. If you ever need to talk or vent about anything just give me a hollar.

how have u been lately? If the pain is in your lower right side, it may be you appendex. Has anyone (dr's) thought it might be that? I know that appendistis (sorry about spelling) is very painful and that they can actually rupture and become a VERY serious concern.