Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

things to do before your surgery

hate to sound like a B*TCH, but this person only posted once so far, and to me, the some parts of the story sound like b.s. imo, would never use advice from someone with one posting. especially when they're bashing other docs in another country. i'm not saying this because i'm getting my band placed in Mexico. heck, i did my part. i did my research and i am 100% comfortable with my decision.

there's a lot of p.c.'s out there posing as patients themselves/loved ones acting as if their band experience was a horrible because they went to this doctor, or went to this country...just watch out for them. like any other true fellow lbt member would tell you: RESEARCH,RESEARCH,RESEARCH.

sorry for your loss if the story is true. i just put up a guard if something doesn't sound right to me.

all I can say is "wow." I am sorry for your loss and I know that having any surgeries carries risks. I don't want to sound insensitive here, but why post on our support forum? Everyone here is supporting each other's journey and I have been having all these feelings of "Am I doing the right thing here?" Everytime I have these doubts, I can come to this forum and put my mind at ease. Sorry you felt the need to tell us your story because it sounds like there were other things going on here. God bless you.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks there's something missing from this story.

Yes, there are risks of death with Lap Band. There are also risks of death with being obese. (Not to mention the risks of death in general activities like driving, flying, walking across the street, etc.)

I'M BEING BANDED IN MEXICO ON 5/22/08 BY DR ORTIZ AND THE ONLY THING THAT I GOT OUT OF THE POST WAS TO MAKE SURE TO TELL MY HUSBAND AND KIDS HOW MUCH I LOVE THEM. WILL ALSO LET MY HUSBAND KNOW THAT IF ANYTHING GOES WRONG THAT IT WAS MY CHOICE AND THAT I'M CLEAR AND OK WITH THAT CHOICE. I'M SORRY FOR YOUR LOST, IF TRUE!!:confused2: BUT LEARY OF YOUR STORY, IF YOU CAN STILL GAIN 75LBS WHILE IN HOSPITAL IN 6 DAYS. IT JUST DOESN'T RING TRUE TO ME. BUT THANKS FOR BRING TO MY ATTENTION TO BELIEVE IN THE BEST.....BUT STILL BE PREPARED FOR THE WORST. YIPPY!!!.....I'M STILL GET BANDED THOU!!:welldoneclap:

LENA23

It's a tragic story, but I'm so glad so many people questioned this. Surgery is a risk. But every time I think of those risks, I think about how many less years I might be around for my kids due to the complications of my weight and the lack of a good life I really have, not the surgery. I think there are so many more positives with WLS. It is so important to have your papers in order. No question there. We did that as soon as our children were born. Like everyone else, I wonder why we're only hearing about 1 post and why someone would join just to post that info. I almost wish there was a Snopes for these boards.

If this is true, I feel so sorry for her loss. But we need to remember we do this for a better life and we're better people for at least trying...

Hi Garden Girl, My surgery went perfectly. It was a great experince. The only discomfort was right at the main incision where they put the port, but the pain pills knock and I am using a heating pad. Some one on this site told me about that. I just couldn't be happier and so so glad that I went into the process well informed and all my legal papers in order. I wasn't one bit afraid, I new that God was with me every step of the way. Thanks for your support. Becky:lol:

t o

I am very sorry for your loss. I have done tons of reasearch about the Lap-band and at this point I am sure death is very rare with this procedure.

When you go to the dentist you have also risks from the local anestesia they put on you, it can even go right straight on your brain....So I would really appreciate if we reserve these negative comments, especially for the people like me who are going to have surgery in a matter of 2 weeks.

I don't want to sound mean or anything, but we are here for support....Alll of us should have a will anyway, since you never know, you go out in your car and you get hit and die on the scene...if that is the case....DOn't even try to drive anymore!

Hi everyone. I say this post first on Sunday and was a little upset as my surgery was Monday the 12th. Just wanted to let everyone know my surgery was great and I'm home now. A little discomfort but nothing I can't handle. I second BeckN's post as that pretty much sums up my experience. The surgeon, P.A., anesthesiologist and nurse anesthesiologist put my fears at ease right before the surgery and everything went great.

I feel sorry for this person but to post one post like this without all the details is irresponsible on this forum. If nothing else she should have posted this (or the moderators should move this) to the complications board.

Take care everyone!

Hi everyone. I say this post first on Sunday and was a little upset as my surgery was Monday the 12th. Just wanted to let everyone know my surgery was great and I'm home now. A little discomfort but nothing I can't handle. I second BeckN's post as that pretty much sums up my experience. The surgeon, P.A., anesthesiologist and nurse anesthesiologist put my fears at ease right before the surgery and everything went great.

I feel sorry for this person but to post one post like this without all the details is irresponsible on this forum. If nothing else she should have posted this (or the moderators should move this) to the complications board.

Take care everyone!

I AGREE.... I was one of the first one's that posted a reply and it ticked me off that who ever it was that posted did that.. and never came back.. how sad...:smile2:

I think the poor lady is still in shock and unbearable pain from her loss. I hope she can find a grief web site where she can talk with others sharing the loss of a loved one or go to a grief counselor. Anyway I had a perfect surgical experience yesterday and now I am home starting my new life........................YIPPEE Becky

I'm very sorry for your loss, and I appreciate it if you are trying to give a warning. However, I have to look at this surgery for myself from a different point of view.

My husband was killed in a car accident nearly 3 years ago when he was 36 years old, leaving me widowed with 2 kids. Since then, I have been terrified that if something happens to me, my kids will be orphaned.

I look at this surgery not in a vain, cosmetic, "wanting to lose weight" way....but more of a way to improve my health so I can be around for my children long term. I understand that there are risks, but the risks of my staying this big are far more numerous. I'm far more afraid of my fat than I am the surgery.

I really am sorry for your loss and I understand how bitter it can feel. I hope you can find peace with time.

To put things in perspective, the odds of dying due to a slip in the tub or shower are approx. 1 in 2,300 . . . very similar to the odds of dying during lap band surgery. Yet we continue to bathe or shower everyday. We occasionally hear of someone falling in the shower and dying, and it is certainly a tragedy, but we don't stop showering. Life has risks. We just need to decide which risks are worthwhile for us.

To put things in perspective, the odds of dying due to a slip in the tub or shower are approx. 1 in 2,300 . . . very similar to the odds of dying during lap band surgery. Yet we continue to bathe or shower everyday. We occasionally hear of someone falling in the shower and dying, and it is certainly a tragedy, but we don't stop showering. Life has risks. We just need to decide which risks are worthwhile for us.

Wow! Is this true? Thanks for the post, this is the best thing I have read all day. Not that I glad to hear about people dying from a tub slip, but you know what I mean, perspective.

Wow! Is this true? Thanks for the post, this is the best thing I have read all day. Not that I glad to hear about people dying from a tub slip, but you know what I mean, perspective.

Hmmm, well, I'm looking at the statistics again and it actually states that, for every 2300 people who die, one dies of falling in the tub or bathtub. So I guess I don't know how to compare that to deaths from surgery. Sorry to mislead . . . .