Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Jazzy June Protein Preferences

I know there are a few threads on the site that talk about Protein Shakes and what people have found to be good, bad, and just plain ugly. Thought I would ask our June Group what you think. I am buying samples and trying to find something decent. Have any of you had any success? As we get closer to the BIG DAY, I am worried about finding the best drink so I can stay on plan.:lol:

Thanks so much for sharing! :biggrin2:

I ordered a bunch of samples from Vitalady.com about 2 months ago to find something I like before I have to rely on them too heavily. A couple were great, but some were just downright gross! There was a strawberry and cherry that I really liked, but the same brand in green apple reminded me of vomit. (graphic, sorry!) Capuccino was good, but chocolate coconut candy bar got VERY thick and really couldn't even be considered a liquid. I think I am going to stick with samples rather than ordering bulk of any one flavor because I am afraid I would get tired of drinking the same thing a lot and can't afford to order several different ones in bulk.

Kathy, thanks for your post. I am panicked I won't find something I can get down! I agree about the samples, plus this stuff is expensive!!

I bought every flavor of the Unjury which my Dr. said was reccomended as the best tasting, although I haven't tried it yet. It comes in big cans with 17 servings each. I got chocolate, vanilla, strawberri, chicken broth, and a plain that you can mix in anything. It cost about $98.00 fo all cans and you can look at it at UNJURY.com. Kerry

Like you, Cadets71, I have been worrying about the Protein Shakes. I do not like milk or milky-tasting shakes. SlimFast used to have an orange-pineapple drink that was ok, but I haven't seen it for years. I got a sample of unflavored Unjury from the nutritionist who said to put it in anything I drink. I tried it in my iced tea (the drink of choice at my house) and it left a nasty aftertaste in my mouth. Sort of garlicky-Yuk! I have purchased samples from Vitalady to try without much success at finding something I like. I am able to drink SlimFast Cappuccino, but imagine that is going to get old. I continue to look for something else. Surgery is on June 12 so I need to find something quick. Good luck!

I tried my friend's vanilla flavored Protein shake, and it was nasty. I don't remember what brand it was.

But I recently ordered the sample packets from unjury.com (chocolate, strawberry, vanilla, unflavored, & chicken soup). I tried the chocolate yesterday. Put it in the blender with 8 oz skim milk and some ice cubes to make a milkshake. It was actually tolerable! It's nothing I would drink for fun, or if I wasn't having surgery, but it's not too bad. My doctor's office says all of the Protein powders are going to have that special "after-taste" you just have to find one you can tolerate.

This morning, I mixed the unflavored Unjury in a cup of Swiss Miss 25 calorie warm cocoa. It was good too. Basically tasted like the chocolate flavored one from yesterday, but warm instead of cold.

I'm thinking I'm going to get the unflavored one, just because it's more versatile. I can keep mixing it in hot cocoa, or I heard it works in sugar free pudding, Jello, or anything.

I just bought the chocolate and vanilla Protein powders from Walmart--the brand is Fortress, I believe. I haven't tried them yet, but either way, it's what I'm stuck with. I'm officially a budget bandster, I can't really spend 40-50 bucks on a tub of Protein Powder. These were like $13 each for the same quantity of the more expensive ones.

I wonder, can a person maybe ever get TOO much Protein? I am planning on taking 1000 mg of Biotin as a supplement in fear of loosing hair. Is this crazy? Kerry :D

I just bought the chocolate and vanilla Protein powders from Walmart--the brand is Fortress, I believe. I haven't tried them yet, but either way, it's what I'm stuck with. I'm officially a budget bandster, I can't really spend 40-50 bucks on a tub of protein powder. These were like $13 each for the same quantity of the more expensive ones.

Your body can only process 30 grams of Protein at a time...so you can take as much as you want, but you can only make use of 30 grams at a time (like at one meal, etc). So it's kind of silly to take more than that, but not everyone loses their hair, either :D

I am a May bandster and my favorite Protein drink is made by Herbalife. You can go online to order it. It is the best tasting by far!!

As far as Protein goes, yes you can consume too much!!! If you consume more than 50-60g per day, you will hinder your weight loss!!

Good luck to all of you Jazzy June bandsters!! The surgery was a breeze and my first fill was totally painless!!!!