Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What made you choose Lapband?

Hello y'all! I am in the process of deciding what surgery I want to have. I am really leaning toward Lapband versus RNY. What I am wanting to know is why you choose this surgery instead of the other. I am shooting for surgery sometime in July! I am finishing up the 6 month Dr supervised diet!(have lost but maybe 5-7 lbs) and go for my physc eval next week!:rolleyes: Any feedback that can be provided will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Hello, I made this decision for me as I wanted to lose my weight slowly. I wanted the control over my food intake too.I also believe that for me it is discipline that is key.

I have lost 30 lbs since I began my journey with the band since October 2007 (223 START weight), Banded January 23, 2008(206 surgery weight) and as of April 24 (193 current weight). I also have joined a gym and exercise 3 days a week.

I read and researched this for over 3 years before making the Life Changing decision. After all, (for me) I allow the band to work as a tool only and use my mind as the key. I am not in a race to lose this weight as it took over 20 years for me to gain it,lose it and re-gain it.

I feel that as the weight is coming off so does the old thinking and then new thinking has to take place. Some of the re-directed thinking needs time for it to sink in and learning to apply the new ways of eating for my life.

I am finding in my journey that I was comfortable with the weight on my body, unhealthy as this sounds, it was a protection from others, I didn't want to deal with in my life. Now, I am learning that it is me I need to learn to deal with and allow the inner strength to shine through!

Take it slow, research, find facts and then apply what you learn, for YOU because it is YOU that will make YOU happy in the end.

Smile and Shine on

~WhirlWinds~

The simplicity of the concept. It's not rocket science.

Plus the costs are so much cheaper and by looking at it over a few years, the costs are way less than WW, gym memberships, diet foods, pills, tears.

And then there's the fact that if I ever need to, I can adjust the band to help me KEEP IT OFF.

My twin had a RNY. She's happy with the results, but I am too.

For me, it's the fact that my own mother has had the RNY done TWICE, and even the second time she didn't lose all the weight she's needed to and even though it's been over three years, sh still has a good 100lbs to go, which she never will get there. It made me realize that either way, this surgery is a TOOL to use toward a new life. I can do it with the band which in my mind is safer and slower, or I can change my anatomy- either way it's going to take discipline and a change in my mindset for a new life.

Hope this helps and good luck on your journey!!!

I went and saw two surgeons before deciding on the band. I decided on the band because I had a pulmonary embolism after major surgery a couple of years ago and didn't want to risk that happening again by having a more invasive procedure. I also liked the idea of learning to make healthier food and lifestyle choices which I feel the band helps me to do. I also like the adjustability of the band. I am really happy that I chose the lapband, my weight loss may be slower than with some other procedures but for the first time in my life I feel proud and confident that the lifestyle changes I have made and continue to make will be forever.

All the best with your decision Becky.

I knew lapband was for me, not only is it reversible, but surgery was not as invasive. The fact all foods are digested as before, and all Vitamins and minerals are absorbed is another plus. RNY was never an option for me.

Oh yes, recovery time for lapband was also a big plus.

I chose the lap band because I wanted to lose the weight slowly. I thought that losing the weight slowly will give me time to build my muscles and also help me learn to control the amount of food I ate at a meal and though out the day. A friend of mine had the RNY and she lost weight as first and then put the weight back on over years. When talking to people and see what she went through that really help me with my decision. I love my band and how it has helped me get where I am now and going to be in the future.

Just remember make the decision for YOU not for anyone else. YOU have to live with it and no one else does. Keep us posted on how you are doing through your journey. Good luck!

Chilly

For me, there were a number of reasons the LB the only option. First of all, the idea of having my "plumbing" totally rerouted and having to deal with malabsorption issues for the rest of my life just didn't sound appealing. Also, should the need ever arise due to illness or whatever and I need to not have restriction, I can just get an unfill. I also know several people who have had RNY and they have ALL had to deal with weight regain much more than the LB patients I have spoken to. I know that is a possibility even with LB, but because of the adjustability of the LB, it just doesn't seem to be as big of an issue. One of my biggest problems is Portion Control, so the band will give me that control I have always struggled so with. Also, I didn't want the rapid weight loss RNY patients have. I am hoping by losing more slowly, I can exercise enough to tone up at least somewhat as I go instead of ending up with a small body and a load of saggy skin.

Good luck making your choice and let us know what you decide!

I'm going with the lapband mainly because it's reversible if there are any complications. I have crohn's disease, and I don't want to lose any of my digestive tract if I don't have to do so. I've already lost two feet of the terminal ilieum (end of the small intestine).

I also like that I will lose weight slowly and will have to do behavior modification so that the weight loss sticks.

I researched it a lot. Bottom line:

1. It is less invasive

2. It is reversible

3. It was less expensive (I am self-pay)

4. Recovery period is less

Not sure I have anything to add...

1) Less invasive surgery - no cutting & re-routing of organs & therefore much safer

2) Adjustable as weight drops

3) Reversible if necessary

4) While the weight loss is slower, the end results 5 yrs out are similar.

5) No malabsorption issues, although I heard recently (on here?) that this is no longer the issue it used to be. Since I worried about my long term compliance with taking lifelong supplements.

6) Personally know people who have had life-threatening complications from RNY

7) Personally know people who have gained back their weight after successfully losing it with RNY

My primary doc recently told me that every patient he has who has done the gastric bypass has ended up hospitalized with complications at some point. Whereas his patients with lapbands are doing great! (me included) Now he tells patients looking at WLS to do the band and avoid the RNY.

Of course, I'm sure there are plenty of healthy, slender RNY patients out there or else they wouldn't still be offering the surgery. Still, I will freely admit that fear was definitely a part of my decision to go with banding. :thumbup:

Of course, I'm sure there are plenty of healthy, slender RNY patients out there or else they wouldn't still be offering the surgery.

I guess I'm more cynical than that. Outside the US, lap band is the most common WLS while in the US it's RNY. I don't think RnY is somehow more successful here than elsewhere. I think it's our wacky health system that is causing doctors to push RnY over the band.

Don't get me wrong, RnY has it's place. We aren't all alike so the same WLS isn't going to be the right choice for everyone. But it has a lot more risks than the band and, for that reason alone, I think they should be doing a lot less of them.

Edited by MacMadame

Well, as you have read, the surgery is much less invasive than the sleeve and gastric by pass, and its reversable. There are less complications with the lap band, and there is no "dumping" / ie. major diarrhea issues. The lap band has some issues (and i'm sure you've done the research), however insurer's are more readily prone to pay for a lap band than a gastric bypass.

I guess it also depends on what your eating issues were. If you ate too much, and never felt full, then this is for you because you will eat smaller portions... you can eventually eat what you want, but it will not be in large poritions.. and that appealed to me. I can eat but my poritions are going to be way smaller than they once were.

Hi Becky! Fellow Tennessean here! For me, I chose this over the other WLS for several reasons.. From what I'm reading and hearing that you end up in the same place in 5 years, without the malabsorption issues. I have Portion Control issues along with the fact I can eat alot of food in a very short amount of time. The fact that you can just about make your self a new stomach on the gastric bypass along with the dumping issue.

I have taken alot of time.. I "lurked" on this site for 6 months just reading. I really feel that it is a very personal decision, but for me I think this is the best one.

Good luck to you in your Quest for health!

Molly