Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi,

I am looking for a little advice.

I have my surgery booked for 21/05/08 in Belguim. I have decided that I don't want my hubby to go with me. I just feel that I don't want him stuck in a hospital, in a foreign country, watching me being ill!! My hubby isn't best pleased about this.

Has anyone else does this alone? And if so, how was it?

Thanks

Anne xx

i think you should take your husband with you. After all--what are husbands for?? he'll be able to get you a drink of Water and help you walking around---i'm sure he'll feel less concerned if he IS with you--let him come with you! tell him to bring a couple of good books--and voila--he'll be fine, watching you recover! also, you don't want to be carrying luggage, or lifting it out of overhead bin or ANYTHING like that right after your surgery--i say--let him come with you! you'll be glad you did.

Best regards,

girlinnyc

I made the mistake of saying to my husband, "You don't have to come to the hospital. It's okay - just go to work. My sister and Mom will be there. I'll be fine." The incredibly hurt look on his face was too much to take. I felt so bad. I thought I was being nice and releasing him from being stuck at a hospital all day and instead I wounded him.

He told me that his place is beside me and that there is no other place he'd rather be.

Maybe you have your reasons for not wanting your husband to go with you, but if it's only for vanity or something silly, let him come with you. He NEEDS to support you right now. Having him stay home and worry isn't productive. Let him walk through this with you.

I'm going at it alone but only because my family lives far away from me and my friends will be working. It's a quick procedure with a low rate of complications. If I was married though I definitely would want my wife there, through thick and thin.

Good luck

Thanks for the support, to be honest it is purely for vanity reasons that I don't want him to be there. I may have to rethink it!!

Thanks!!

Anne xx

LOL Anne - hubbies usually love to be the knight in shining armor to their princess brides :thumbup: They don't get many chances these days with all us modern self-sufficient women! And how many chances do we get to be coddled and fussed over? Enjoy it!

Thanks for the support, to be honest it is purely for vanity reasons that I don't want him to be there. I may have to rethink it!!

Thanks!!

Anne xx

Can you imagine what it would be like for him at home, wondering, waiting, worrying,...imagining things probably far worse than reality? There is no way my husband would let me go alone.

My husband was with me the entire time and I would not do it any other way. At first I was thinking we could save a little money if I went alone, but his company was really helpful and he took such good care of me. This will be the first day of the rest of your life . . . perhaps it is better to share it together.

My husband and daughter came with me and it was good to see their faces after surgery. My husband helped to walk and help monitor my liquids. Plus, I needed them to drive me home :> I agree that he will just worry if he stays home. It is a life-altering experience and I think it was good for my husband to be there and the beginning of my journey. Good Luck to you.

I had my husband with me - and I wish I hadn't.

I should have taken a friend instead.

He was just annoying to have around.

I had already arranged to have "Thing 1" (my 21 year old son) take me to have the surgery, since he would be out of school on that day. He's taken me to have procedures before. When I told my husband, he said he wanted to be there instead, just in case anything happens. Plus he said he wouldn't get any work done all day worrying about me. Since he wants to go, I'll let Thing 1 sleep late that day.

My mom is flying down to be with me. I honestly would rather my husband be with me but as he is deployed, my mom will be holding my hand. hehe Well most likely picking on me and being a mean mom. LOL I lurves my Mom she is good for support and healing, makes me laugh alot.

But still, I would rather my hubby be by my side.

Well I Dont Have A Man, And If I Did Seeing His Face Would Be One Of The First Things. So Put Your Pride Aside And Let Him In

I went alone to Mexico and it was fine. I am divorced so husband was not an option. but I had no problems at all. I have traveled alone before and I think I prefer it. Donna