Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I super lucky or screwing up?

Hi All,

I had my op 5 days ago. The pain has all but gone which is nice and, basically, everything seems normal. Actually, I feel exactly the same as pre-band, but I'm eating much smaller meals and do feel full after.

I did a liquid diet for about three days, but the doc said that if I was having no issues I could try mushy food.

Day 4 I had a low-fat yoghurt for Breakfast, Soup and a banana for lunch and scrambled eggs on bread for dinner.< /p>

Today I went for a healthy Cereal with a drop of skimmed milk for breakfast, bread and a low-fat spread for lunch and enjoyed salmon with broccoli for dinner.

None of this is causing me any problems at all. However, looking over the other posts, everyone else seems to be on a liquid diet at this stage.

Do you think I should self-medicate a liquid diet to myself for a few weeks? Or if I'm feeling no pain is it ok to carry on as I am? I don't want to cause myself medical problems by moving the band or whatever.

I agree, what your surgeon told you should be first and foremost. We all have slightly different instructions it seems. Sounds like you are doing well.

Every dr seems to have a different post-op diet, but that does seem quick on the "real" food. I was on Clear Liquids for 4 days, then 5 WEEKS of full liquids. I am not even allowed mushies. If you don't feel comfortable, you might want to call the surgeon and ask some questions. Glad you are doing well. Good luck!

Hi All,

I had my op 5 days ago. The pain has all but gone which is nice and, basically, everything seems normal. Actually, I feel exactly the same as pre-band, but I'm eating much smaller meals and do feel full after.

I did a liquid diet for about three days, but the doc said that if I was having no issues I could try mushy food.

Day 4 I had a low-fat yoghurt for breakfast, Soup and a banana for lunch and scrambled eggs on bread for dinner.< /p>

Today I went for a healthy cereal with a drop of skimmed milk for breakfast, bread and a low-fat spread for lunch and enjoyed salmon with broccoli for dinner.

None of this is causing me any problems at all. However, looking over the other posts, everyone else seems to be on a liquid diet at this stage.

Do you think I should self-medicate a liquid diet to myself for a few weeks? Or if I'm feeling no pain is it ok to carry on as I am? I don't want to cause myself medical problems by moving the band or whatever.

You have to follow your doctors instructions - not others they are all diff - but you are eating some non-mushie foods - call your doc and tell him what you are eating if it's ok with him

You have to follow your doctors instructions - not others they are all diff - but you are eating some non-mushie foods - call your doc and tell him what you are eating if it's ok with him

Everything I've eaten so far has been in line with the examples he gave me. He said: "if all's going well with the Soups and bananas you can try a piece of bread or some salmon with broccoli - just make sure you chew it into a mush"

So - as everyone kindly (and rightly) - suggests, I'm doing just what he said. I just find myself wondering if he's wrong! It does seem a long way away from everything else that I've read.

Mind you, I really do feel great. So maybe all is well.

I'm seeing him again on Saturday so I'll take my food diary and discuss it with him.

Thanks for all your thoughts and comments.

I agree that you should talk to your doctor about what you are eating. If it's ok with him it shouldn't hurt you. Some doctors are just more cautious than others.

Good luck and welcome to Bandland.

Geez I was scared to read that you are eating non mushy foods this soon out. I am not a surgeon though and I did have my surgery over 4 years ago, so I am sure that things have changed a bit since then.

Be so so careful though. The reason I was told you start out on liquids and mushies is because you are newly banded and the band has to adhere to your stomach and that takes time. Caution in the early days is crucial to make sure you are set up ok from the beginning.

Your doctor knows best for sure though. Please call him if you have any doubts!!

Good luck on your journey!!

Your surgeon sounds similar to mine. I haven't progressed as far though...just because I'm nervous. I did have some vegetable Soup with very soft veggies, yogurt and oatmeal made quite thin. I have instructions to progress but have ben afraid to as of yet. My surgery was 7 days ago and I have a foloow up appointment today at 4pm, I was going to ask him about it again today.

<< Lost 165 pounds in one year. Endured port reattachment surgery, gallbladder removal. Major slip, Dr. Hamn said caused by my major weight loss. TriCare Prime refused to do anything but pay to have it removed. Attempted "fix" of band 4.10.05, Dr. Louis Fox (my saint) Continued slippage, no fill, major reflux

Band removed and replaced 4.24.08, Dr. Louis Fox much scar tissue removed and hiatal hernia repaired. >>

Kimberly,

wow, you went through so much! How did you lose SO much weight in the first year? Did you do a special diet along with the surgery? So, you had the surgery, then a reattachment surgery, then another surgery to take the old one out and put a new one in? What's reflux? Your insurance wouldn't pay for this??? So you had to pay for the new surgery out of your own pocket??

Sorry for so many questions, I am seriously considering this surgery and I want to be prepared. :thumbup:)

Melissa

Hi All,

Day 4 I had a low-fat yoghurt for Breakfast, Soup and a banana for lunch and scrambled eggs on bread for dinner.

Today I went for a healthy Cereal with a drop of skimmed milk for breakfast, bread and a low-fat spread for lunch and enjoyed salmon with broccoli for dinner.< /p>

I would definately speak with a nutrionist... your Dr. should not tell u what to eat from what i was told that is what the nutronist is for. I was told to stay away from fibrous veggies and fruit as well as breads... I haven't been banded yet but i have read over the material like 1000x that really seems strange. I would give them a call today and tell them that you know people that have had the band and they are not allowed to eat what you are eating... r u doing something wrong or what. I would think u would be ok.. but at the same time u might not loose as fast as u want, but then again u may....

Well, I was given basically the same orders. Today is PO day 8. Last night for dinner I had some really soft and tender chicken breast sauteed with mushrooms, broccoli and carrots in a light brown sauce. Everything was very tender and I chewed up a storm. It was awesome and sat very well with me.

My DR said the same thing. After 1 week, eat what is comfortable. He said everyone advances differently. I was nervous also to try it after reading every ones diet. I just cant wait until fill because not like most I don't feel full after only 2 oz of food.< /p>

Your doc was like mine....if you are hungry - eat; if it hurts - don't do it.

I was on regular food by weeks end. liquids for 2 days then to mushies....and I did so well I introduced regular food. But do listen to your doc.

And remember, if you eat alot...no worries! The lapband system begins to work with restriction....so let the band do it's job and ensure you go back to the doc in 6 weeks for your first adjustment.

Congrats and good to see you are doing so well.

My doc sounds the same...I could proceed with soft mushy foods at 10 days out. I am not at the two week mark and he said just to make sure I chew my food very very well and take small bites...introduce new foods one at a time. I have not been too adventurous, stick mostly to Soups with mushy stuff in it...did try some shredded up chicken today and all went well.

I wish you much luck!

Banded April 18th, 2008