Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newby with Fibromyalgia

Hey Banders!

I have Fibromyalgia and am concerned about the Lap Band surgery's effect on people who have that disease. Can anyone help me? I don't want to falsely get my hopes up that losing weight will relieve some of my symptoms. But, on the same hand - I am so very hopeful!

Thanks!

I was also diagnosed with fibro about 2 years ago. I am scheduled to be banded 5/5/08. In talking with my surgeon and PCP, I know that losing the excess 100 pounds will take a great deal of pressure off my body. I have flares about every month or so lasting usually several days. It may not cure my fibro, but it's got to make me feel better.

Good luck!

I guess it depends on how badly you have it. My friend has severe fibro along with having had knee replacements and she swears that losing 100 pounds hasn't made it easier for her. I guess it depnds on the person.

Hi Liz,

Thanks for the reply - and good luck on your band! You are a little ahead of me in this process. I would love to keep in touch as we start this journey. It would be a great support for me to be able to relate to someone with fibromyalgia. Im no longer able to work outside the home and my pain levels can be level 10 on any given moment. Do you experience any of the "fibro-fog"? I am a little concerned about losing my focus during these bad days and not being able to care a new band properly. What do you think?

Hi Long2B,

I hope your friend hangs in there. Has she reached her weight loss goal? How is her fatigue and energy levels? I feel like I'm in the dark where this is concerned - hope I didn't ask too many questions. :-) Thanks for your help.

Hi Long2B,

I hope your friend hangs in there. Has she reached her weight loss goal? How is her fatigue and energy levels? I feel like I'm in the dark where this is concerned - hope I didn't ask too many questions. :-) Thanks for your help.

Yes, she is at goal and has been so for a couple of years. She is bedridden about 90% of the time but also has rheumatoid arthritis. She has to carefully plan and chose what is important to her because she gets wiped out so easily. She wasn't expected to live past her 40th birthday but by the grace of God she is still alive. I admire all that she has gone through because she still has such a love for life.

Thanks for the reply Long2B,

I really do understand what your friend is going through. The first year of my marriage was when I became ill and was bedfast, like your friend, 90 % of the time...awful. It was then that I gained almost 100 lbs. I am so glad to hear that she reached her goal. It gives me hope and encouragment. Does she maintain any exercise plan? The fibro fog is what concerns me most. I have days when I fear I will forget what I'm supposed to do post op. I just pray the Lord will keep me and enable me to do what I must. Tell your friend - I will pray for her. God bless you both.

Hi - I also have fibro and it's not fun. I'm currently in the 6-month pre-surgery faze - meetings, doctor appts and they just told me to eat lots of Protein and lose some of my belly fat prior to surgery. I'm nervous but excited - I know I feel alot better when I eat healthy - losing the weight, I'm convinced, will definitely help the fibro.

Good luck!

My doctor for chronic pain advised me NOT to expect a miracle with the banding, but did say I would have to have some improvement to the joints. I started my preop visits last July. Banded finally mid March. I still have MANY bad achey days, but I fight them. I recently started walking and found I could do 1 1/2 miles right out of the gate. Some days, especially pre menstrual, I hurt ALOT, but take the ibu, and just get moving. I notice that some of the hot spots aren't as bad; I attribute this to healthier eating. Also though, my pain magician put me on Soma 4 times a day. I can really notice if I've been lax in the dosage. I'll wake up feeling my brain and body quivering. As always, get plenty of sleep. Since I have minor sleep apnea(it would have gotten much worse), I am hopefully getting some improvement there. The way I see it, ANY improvement is better than living in constant pain. Good luck.:w00t:

Hi Mom22!

Glad to see you have started the journey! Is the 6 month wait going well for you?

I also wanted to ask you another question. Do you remember how much weight they wanted you to lose pre-op?

Thanks!

Edited by ImaDucky

Welcome Saqueen! and Congrats on your new band!

How did you feel post - op and how long after were you able to start walking? I am looking forward to becoming more active, I used to walk about 4 mi. per day before my illness and weight gain. Also, I too have sleep apnea and can't tolerate the machine. I looked into other alternative treatments and none were acceptable to me, so I'm looking to the weightloss to resolve this issue (hopefully).

Thanks for the 'good luck' and right back at 'cha! Any less pain with fibro is GREAT!

Hi all,

I too have fibro, on a scale of 1 - 10 I am about a 3-6 most of the time. I don't think the surgery will help with the pain but it may take the edge off just a little. I wish you all the very very best with surgery and with your fibro.

Lana

Hey Banders!

I have Fibromyalgia and am concerned about the Lap Band surgery's effect on people who have that disease. Can anyone help me? I don't want to falsely get my hopes up that losing weight will relieve some of my symptoms. But, on the same hand - I am so very hopeful!

Thanks!

hi, cutting out all yeast and suger products will help; good thing about the band, everytime i try to eat bread am sick. best of luck

Thanks Lana for your comments. I hope your pain gets better. I've heard several people say that they are better after losing weight , so I'm still hoping! Fibro intensity is so variable - who knows, huh?

Hopeful, thank you too for the information. I agree with you that bread and sugars make fibro worse. I'm sorry to hear that bread makes you sick - but in my case that might be a blessing in disguise since bread is a weakness for me. I have also heard several people say that bread was a problem for them as well, so you are not alone!