Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Things I won't/don't miss about being Obese

I won't miss:

- Just barely fitting in an airplane seat

- my double chin

- my big belly!!!

- "side boobs"

- being just a pretty face

Can't wait to:

- shop at Victoria's Secret, banana Republic, Anthropologie, Ann Taylor Loft, and buy some Lucky Brand jeans.

- not pay extra for Plus Size Clothing (like at Eddie Bauer)

- not be judged by my weight

- actually look pregnant once I become pregnant (in a few years!)

- sit back on my knees

- jump around without my belly jumping with me

- comfortably sit in the middle seat of an airplane

- visit Disneyland without worrying I won't fit on Space Mountain

- cross my legs

- feel hot!

I can't wait to go on a shopping spree at regular stores and visit Disneyland!

I told my psy about this thread and he was very impressed. I started jotting down notes of what I won't miss about being overweight/obese.

1. My legs rubbing together

2. Socks not going up my leg

3. Needing an extension for the airline safety belts

4. Fat Fingers

5. Rolls of fat on my back

6. Stretchy pants

7. Being able to go up and down stairs without being winded

8. Snoring/Sleep Apnea machine

9. Back aches

10. Worrying about breaking chairs and fitting in chairs

11. Edema

12. Belly in the way of everything

13. Not being able to take a bath

14. Hydronitis

15. Checking the weight capacity of ladders and everything

16. Double/Triple chins

17. Being hungry all the time

18. Worrying about my health and thinking about my risk for Heart Attack

19. Hurting Knees

20. Plus Size clothes (I refer to them know as Goddess size)

21. Not having a lap

22. The bones in my feet hurting

23. Feeling like a failure when I see all those weight loss ads on TV

24. Looking at someone who is bigger than me and thinking....at least I'm not that big...then thinking yet.

What I will miss:

1. The occassional Dr. Peper

I'm sure there are so many more things I could add but this is my list

What a wonderful way to say goodbye to all the things that we have to deal with on a day to day basis when we are obese.

Things I won't miss:

thighs rubbing of course

ugly clothes and lingerie

arguing with my husband when I say I'm fat and he says I'm not (his favorite line is "yep, pretty hot and tempting" I love him for it)

not being able to keep up with my kids

ladders falling out from underneath me (don't ask, horrible)

the joint and muscle pain

not having sex with the light on and if he can see me being ashamed and uncomfortable

not being able to wear my wedding rings

not being able to walk without my feet killing me

not being able to wear heels

I could go on and on

I love this thread

It reminds me that no matter what surgery I have to do the health and other losses are worth it.

not banded yet, but i'm already looking forward to all of the benefits. i can't wait!!!

I won't miss:

1.sweating after even the smallest amount of physical activity

2. those judgmental looks thinner people give

3. plus size clothes shopping

4. having tons of health problems that most 30 year olds never think about

5. being the 'fat one' in the family and amongst friends

6. squeezing into plane seats, chairs with armrests, some movie theater seat, restaurant booths, etc.

7. getting no male attention

8. all my goddamned medications

9. always pretending i'm ok being fat

10. not participating in activities because i'm embarrassed about how i look or scared that my body will give out (ie. heavy breathing, joint pain, sweating like a big, go really slow)

11. not being able to wear my heels anymore because my feet are starting to hurt.

12. feeling uncomfortable and inadequate

13. my parents always inquiring whether i'm exercising

14. being to embarrassed to get my bikini waxed or go to the gynecologist

15. avoiding swimming and all Water sports

16. avoiding pictures and cameras

17. wearing really ugly clothes to workout in

18. being told i'm pretty no matter what size i am

19. feeling self conscious when grocery shopping or ordering at a restaurant

20. that people have stopped aksing me if i'm dating anyone

Oh, and I won't miss getting winded from crawling into bed and getting comfortable. Then laying there breathing hard for 5 min or more.

Hi All,

Things I won't miss about being obese are the following:

1) Feeling utterly disgusted at the site of myself in pictures and videos.

2) Being self-conscious about going to my son's school and being afraid a child will say something hurtful to him about me.

3) Being embarrassed and ashamed of my body when being intimate with my husband.

4) Not wanting to go to an amusement park for fear of the ride seat belt not fitting.

5) Not being able to bend over in the car if I drop something-- (Note)I have to have my husband push the brake to give me leverage to get over my belly).

6) Having trouble shaving my legs.

7) Infertility.

There are many more, but I think these are the most important to me.

Being insecure

Hiding/ignoring old friends

Avenue/Lane Bryant ( damn fat clothes is expensive)

Rashes

Always fixing my pants when I get up

Not fitting into chairs at restaurants,amusement parks or even friends cars etc.

Everyone staring at me

Heartburn

Grocery bill

No energy.............................

I just had to say, I really do LOVE this thread and have been getting caught up on them. I have to say, though, and I know it isn't funny, but I was laughing at some of them until I cried. I guess because I can relate to much. Not because I am laughing at any particular person, but man, you have to have a sense of humor to some degree in this life.

I almost felt guilty for laughing, but then I thought, even through the disgust with myself with some things, I have laughed hysterically at myself from time to time. Being obese is really no laughing matter and I have fought it my entire life, but there have been some comical times, too.

You guys are great and I love reading about your stories. I have also cried at some of these stories too.

Bless all of you. big, big HUGS

Paulette

This is such a good thread.

I'm getting banded on 23rd December and the things I won't miss about being obese include:

* Being mistaken for being pregnant

* Being given dieting advice from slim people

* Having a bigger appetite than most people I know

* Eating very quickly and people commenting on it

* Having three wardrobes full of clothes but only wearing the same three pairs of trousers, because everything else is plus size, but too small!!!!

* Shying away from heels, because they hurt the balls of my feet.

* Walking down the street, having people stare at my stomach and then unconsciously rearranging their clothes. (anyone else notice this one?)

* Sweating

* Not liking what I see in the mirror, especially in my bra and knickers

* Heavy periods

* Snoring

* Sore hips and knees

* Not having to shop in Evans all the time and pay their bloody expensive prices.

I'm sure there's more. xx

* dreading every time I drop something on the floor and have to try to strain to bend over and pick it up

* seeing adorable clothes, and then trying them on and they won't get past my ankles

* running into people who haven't seen me in a while, and seeing their horrified expressions over how I've let myself go

* declining fun invitations because of embarassment

* not being able to wear favorite rings...or remove the one currently stuck on my hand

* I especially won't miss having food run and ruin my life!

First I would like to say, I freakin' love this thread!

Things I will not miss!

-Not fitting comfortable in the desks at school

-Getting through the bus aisle because my hips are massive

-Not taking pictures with people, especially my bf

-Finding clothes that are my style, but never fit

-Getting dressed in a dressing room

-Walking up the stairs at school & being out of breath by the time I get to class

-Being f'in miserably hot during summer

-Wearing a t-shirt & shorts to go swimming

-Even dreading to wear shorts to go swimming

-Taking so much time to shave my legs

-Not being able to sit in my bf's lap without thinking I'm going to break him....ahaha

-Not being able going to the fair to an amusement park because I can't fit

-Not being able to buy CHEAP clothes at Wal-Mart!!!

-Not being able to do more stuff with my bf, if you know what I mean..lol

-Always worried when I go out with my bf that skinny girls are looking at him, but thank God he likes em big....ahaha

-Wearing only t-shirts half the time

-Owning only 5 pairs of jeans that fit

Well, I'm sure there is more, but that's what I can think of right now. =]

Edited by thatkassiegirl

-Always worried when I go out with my bf that skinny girls are looking at him, but thank God he likes em big....ahaha

Well, hopefully he likes YOU big or small. After the banding, the intent is for you to get smaller.

Yeah, we've discussed it, he said he'll love me no matter my size, he just doesn't want me to lose my ass or boobies. Lol. Of course I've always had those, so I don't think that will be a problem. ;]

Edited by thatkassiegirl

I won't miss my feet swelling when I walk too much; not bringing my kids to the amusement park because I can't walk around for too long; my heel spur; bras that don't fit me properly (can't wait to shop at Victoria Secret); the dredded FAT ladies stores; wide shoes; knee and back pain.

Tell you what I am looking forward to (the short list)

Going Canoeing with my family this summer, swimming at the beach, boating, sitting in the seats at a ball game, coaching my daughter at soccer, riding a bike, and just being a happier person overall in my life with my family by my side. Also the SEX is sooo much better already! LOL

This is really a terrific thread. I've read all 17 pages. You know, at times I thought I was the only one who struggled with some of the things I've seen on this list.

Here are some of the things I won't miss:

- Being the heaviest person in my family

- Being as wide as I am tall (I'm 5 ft 0)

- Avoiding wearing sleeveless shirts and shorts in the sweltering summer months

- Fear of pulling over the table and/or toppling the chair when I try to get on a barstool

- Walking sideways down aisles on buses, planes, in theaters

- Avoiding saying 'Hello' in person to people I've known all my life but having seen in years

- New crops of stretch marks

- Not knowing what to do with my hands when sitting - they don't rest on my lap, I won't cross them over my shelf boobs, it seems silly to just let them hang at my side when sitting

- Fear of breaking a chair, ladder, stair, or amusement park ride

- That sweat smell under my bra

- Wondering who that huge woman is in the full length mirror

- Having tight sleeves in all my blouses - including blouses purchased at the large womens stores

A few things I'm looking forward to:

* crossing my legs for the first time in ?? years

* wanting to have my picture taken rather than always volunteering to be the photographer

* wanting someone to hug me or to have a man hold me

* running and playing with my nieces and nephews - including going in the pool with them

* giving away all of my 1X, 2X, and XL clothes

* wearing a dress

* sitting cross-legged

* sitting comfortably in a booth

* painting my own toenails rather than getting a pedicure

Thanks to everyone who has shared their thoughts and to the many people who have come back to update their postings. You are a great inspiration.:thumbup: