Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Freaking out a little (clothing purge)

OK, I fully realize I am being rediculous, as far as problems go this is one that I WANT to have, and you are welcome to pull out your tiny violins, but I'm still freaking out....

I just did my first big clothing purge. I threw all my 4x pants into a big trash bag to be donated. This should be a good thing, so why am I practically in tears????

I've been 4x for almost 10 years. So these are clothes that I am comfortable in. When I look in the closet, I know exactly what each outfit will look like. Perhaps they are old and worn and didn't even look good to begin with, but they are comforatable old friends. I know what to expect from them. Now I feel like I'm staring at a closet full of strangers. What will happen every morning when I put on these pants? Will they fit? Will they be too short? Will they just look awful? Will any of them match the shirt I want to wear? :biggrin:

I can't afford to shop for new clothes right now, so these are clothes that fit me 10 years ago, before everything started to sag. I was an entirely different body shape.

What a stupid, unexpected emotional crisis! I hope future size purges won't be this painful, since I won't have owned the clothes that long and will be used to it. These first few are going to be tough, though. I still have to get through my 4x summer clothes and shirts later.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who has freaked out over this???

What you are going through is very normal. I went through it and now that I am used to it I have taken it to a whole new level! I am cleaning out the entire house! It actually feels good to get rid of "the old me". I suggest going to Goodwill or Savers to get clothes while you are in between sizes. That is the cheapest route!

I have a really hard time throwing the clothes away too. I keep thinking that I will need them again but they will be gone. I'm slowly working on it

What you are going through is completely normal. For once in my life I don't want to shop for clothes, just shoes. I know how they will fit and what size will fit. Friends, family, and any significant others won't understand what you are going through. They will think you just be doing back flips. For me I realized that every diet I went on I would end up buying larger sizes versus smaller, so buying smaller clothes was a new concept to me. I too started out at 4x and now I am down to a Large/XL. I still tend to get looser clothing because that is what I am used to. The other thing is to actually try on the clothes as you are "purging" your closet.

I thought I had cleaned out my closet and then my husband went back through it and came out with two more bags to donate to a shelter. I told him he was getting rid of clothes that fit me still so he had me try them on, and they didn't fit-they were too big. I sat there looking at the bags teary eyed and not knowing why. Its parter of the process of letting go.

It can also be scary once you no longer fit into the "plus-size" stores. The day that I realized that they didn't have a size for me was really hard. That was where I was comfortable at and knew I wouldn't be judged. The thought of going to a "regular" store was new and scary and it still is. Just realize it is part of the process, part of growing, and it is normal to be emotional about getting rid of some of your comfortable items from the past.

As far as cost goes I have learned to love second hand stores and now frequent good will because my clothing size changes as much as my 19 month old sons does which isn't good for a budget. Make sure to make a splurge when you can.

Hope this helps.

I'm finally purging clothes as well. Even though every time I was on WW, they said to get rid of big clothes but I never did, since I knew I would gain the weight back.

This time I'm determined not to, so I've been giving them away. But it's hard to part with them since now I've got to make it work or be naked!

Aimee

I have such a variety of clothes. 1X, 2X, 3X. I want to touch base with other bandsters that are having a hard time financially with having to buy new clothes all the time. I want to start a clothes swap for all those who are at different stages and weights, but I don't know where to begin. I think I'll bring it up at my next support group and have a few boxes of things in the back of my Jeep. I've always taken very good care of my clothes, and just can't see myself throwing them away. At present I am right in between plus sizes and regular sizes and it's so frustrating. I went shopping over the weekend and was amazed that I'm in a size 16, which is an overlap size. I tried on a sun dress for the 1st time since 1992. It was like looking at a stranger in the mirror.

I found the same feelings cropping up when I was purging clothes.

I am at goal now and SO over it.

I must say in encouragement, that even when it was hard to purge, I never missed one item, wishing I still had it.

Good luck and go onto the next part of your weight loss.

I never could shop second hand because of my height, but jeans are jeans, and t-shirts are so cheap. You will be able to dress on the way down your scale reasonalby for sure.

Good luck and congratulations on the shrinking you.

hugs

Wow, great timing on this post--I did my first clothing purge this weekend, too. I tried on pretty much every single item in my closet for my very patient boyfriend, who offered suggestions for dividing the things into "Fits Now," "Will Fit Soon," and "Toss" piles. I've got at least two large trash bags full of clothes to get rid of, and I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one who's had mixed feelings about it. I sat there last night, looking at the mound of clothes, and I thought to myself with some anxiety that there's no going back now.

Another unexpected effect of the purge was realizing I need to look at what I've got with fresh eyes. I'm starting to be able to fit back into some of the things I wore the last time I felt cute and sexy, five or six years ago. I was thrilled when one of my favorite shirts from that time fit again and I walked out to show it to my boyfriend, who immediately said it should go in the "Toss" pile because it looked dated. I was so excited about being able to wear it again that I didn't stop to think about whether I *should* wear it again. I'm going to have to look at my wardrobe with a more critical eye from now on.

A lot of clinics and support groups have clothing exchanges, maybe you could participate. I think once you start putting new stuff on and seeing how much better you look, those feelings of sadness will fade some.

The best way I can describe it is that our fat clothes are a sort of security blanket to us. Perhaps because whatever we got from being fat is associated with the fat clothes, but probably more because -- damn, it took us a long time to find clothers period, and a longer time to find ones we could stand, so what happens if I get rid of these and end up getting fat again?

I am happy to hear that I am not alone. I hate giving up my too big jeans and shirts. I think Wheetsin said it right....that it took us a long time to find clothes that fit our chubby bodies....we couldn't just walk into any store and buy something.

Is it me too, that the more form fitting the clothes are, the less secure I feel? I have been longing for a thinner frame and now that I am getting there, it is posing a crisis. Shoot me now!!!

I just wanted to thank everyone for letting me know that I wasn't being crazy. I really wasn't expecting that to be an emotional crisis. But isn't that always the case? The big stuff we plan for and expect, we can handle fine. It's the little stuff that catches you off guard that gets you.

I am glad that I posted. Because now I know to brace myself for the loss of my favorite store. I hadn't even thought of that one. It will be a little scary being faced with THE MALL *run around screaming just at the thought*.

I'm also sure I will feel the same way about form-fitting clothes. I've been heavy as long as I can remember. I didn't even have skinny teen years. So that will a difficult adjustment for me. I've been in tunics and knit pants my entire life.

The good things about this journey far exceed the bad things. But I guess we can't forget that there will be a little bit of bad stuff, too.

I do love that I'm looking a little better, and I definitely have more energy. So these things do pale in comparison. I am very pleased with my band! I don't want to sound too negative. I certainly don't feel that way about this journey. I love that I'm in 3x, even if it was tough doing the purge. :)

FairySaddle, I just noticed that we're band buddies--I was banded on 1/29 too! You've done incredibly well and far outstripped my rate of loss so far--congrats! I've got my second fill scheduled for Wednesday, so hopefully that will get things going again.

Good luck!

I have the same stress of parting with my clothes. I love my clothes...took great care in making perfect outfits and knew exactly what to wear when I wanted to look good. It's no surprise this is happening to you as it is many of us!

I used to complain I had nothing to wear becasue I was too fat for them, Now I complain I have nothing to wear because they are ALL too big. :-D