Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am having surgery next Monday & I don't know what to tell my boss & job. I don't want them to know I am having Lap-Band surgery.

I was going to say my appendix or gall Bladder removed.

I need some suggestions. My boss is really tough & would not understand this surgery & my need for time off from work. I am only taking a week.

I am a sales person so I am only around my boss once a month or so.

Thanks in advance.:biggrin:

Just tell him that you are having surgery and need the time off, if he asks what kind tell him it is personal and you don't want to get into it.

Lies have a way of unraveling and making a situation very bad.

Edited by Pix

If you boss is a man, you could always get him to not ask by implying that it's something to do with that mysterious "female stuff". If he wants more detail, you could always talk about heavy bleeding, cramps, etc. Most of the men that I know would quickly end the conversation if anything like that was mentioned.

actually by law you don't have to disclose why u r going to be out.. U have a medical sutuation that you have to attend to and u will be back within a week is all they need to know. I'm sure u can get a Dr's Note or something if it is needed.. other than that it is none of their business.. I wish my Supervisor would ask me well why r u going to be off for a week.. non of your business would be the answer in such a nice nasty way....

i vote for saying its a female related surgery you are having done. he'll clam right up and give you the time off. and you won't be lying. it's your female weight problem that you're having the surgery for. :biggrin:

Like Mstrina has stated, it's none of their business. I would get a note from your doctor beforehand stating you are having surgery and the length of time you will be out and give it to your boss. Your doctor will back you up and the boss can't do anything about it.

I went through this as well. I just told them it was a necessary surgery. They did prod a bit, and I lied and told them it was my gall bladder.

I am now having a Tummy Tuck and breast reduction. This time I told them it was complications to my gallbladder surgery...it worked.

Bottom line it isn't their business and they can't make you tell them. BUT if you are getting paid time off you may have to tell them.

Good luck!

I have surgery on the 24th and I am telling this week. I have already told one of my bosses. I didn't volunteer what type of surgery and he didn't ask, although I know he really wanted to. It is true that by law you are not obligated to tell them. I am not positive, but I think it may be an HR violation for them to even ask.

Edited by COSkinnyGirl

Why lie though??? Tell them you are having surgery, you don't want to go into details and drop it. By law they CAN NOT pry into the surgery type.

Lies explode, and when they do ... oh man ...

My boss and my team know. Our office manager knows. If anyone asks, I'll tell them.

I look at it this way, I have 160 pounds to lose. I've already lost 20 and my surgery is still 3 1/2 weeks away. There's no way my losing weight won't be noticed! Although, I work with almost all men, and I would probably have to lose 160 pounds and come to work naked for any of them to notice. Heh!

There are several guys I work with who are young and extremely overweight. I'm hoping they will ask me what I'm doing when it becomes very noticeable. They really need to do something. They look so unhealthy.

I was dealing with this same thing: when to tell, what to tell...but you know what?

I decided to tell my manager and team that I am getting Lap Band surgery and will be out for 2 weeks. period. I am not hiding it and it will be tough to keep the lie going when I start to lose the weight. When someone asks, I will PROUDLY tell them. Heck, they have seen me try every diet known to man and fail... but this time will be different. :smile2: I find it very liberating - I have let the weight hold my true feelings back for far too long - I am FAT and am doing something about it!

They all see me everyday and know that I need to lose weight. I am proud that I took the step to save my life and live for my children.

Edited by beautiful brown

I was dealing with this same thing: when to tell, what to tell...but you know what?

I decided to tell my manager and team that I am getting Lap Band surgery and will be out for 2 weeks. period. I am not hiding it and it will be tough to keep the lie going when I start to lose the weight. When someone asks, I will PROUDLY tell them. Heck, they have seen me try every diet known to man and fail... but this time will be different. :smile2: I find it very liberating - I have let the weight hold my true feelings back for far too long - I am FAT and am doing something about it!

They all see me everyday and know that I need to lose weight. I am proud that I took the step to save my life and live for my children.

You know I felt the way u felt at first. But what pisses me off is when u allow the people that u work with to know that u are trying to loose weight and as soon as u are walking pass a vending machine with no intent to purchase something they are like what r u doing i know MS IM ON A DIET AINT ABOUT TO BUY SOMETHING OUT OF THE MACHINE...First of all it is too embarassing and it's like why not tell everyone my business.. Damn... I am never asamed of loosing the fat...and letting people know that I am trying, but everyone has a bad day and I don't need the goof troop standing by looking like r u going to eat an entire 1/2 of a turkey sandwich and eat an entire fruit cup.... people can be annoying... :tongue:

I agree mstrina... I don't want everyone scrutinizing every single thing I put in my mouth. When I start to lose weight, if they specifically ask, maybe I'll tell them. I'll decide then, but until then, I too am going with 'minor surgery' and leaving it at that.

I think that you should just be honest and tell them that you are having the lap band surgery perhaps they will be more supportive then you realize. goodluck to you ..

julie