Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating/drinking on day of fill?

Hi all,

I have my first fill tomorrow but am not sure whether I can eat or drink before it or whether I have to have an empty stomach. Did you guys have any instructions?

My instructions are to eat normally before and do liquids for 48 hrs after. My first fill I actually chose to do liquids for 24 hours beforehand because I'd seen people here on the forum who had to do that. I regretted it because combined with the liquids after - I was starving!! I have my second fill coming up tomorrow and this time - I'll do like Angie and eat something filling but lite, maybe cottage cheese and fruit before my fill!

I was told not to eat anything 3 hours before my fills. But I could have Water. Afterwards I was told to have liquids for two days and mushies for two days. But, I just did liquids for the rest of that day and mushies for the next day. None of my other banded friends follow that two day liquids/two day mushies rule either.. but, since there are people on here who will freak out for me saying this let me put the little disclaimer here: do what your fill person says and be on the safe side..

Yep, I didn't eat anything the day of my first one, either, thinking I'd be ok on liquids. I was about dying by the time I went to bed that night. Learned my lesson! LOL

My doctor gave me an instruction sheet that said no eating 5 hours before the procedure and no liquids (not even water) 1 hour before the procedure... then after that i am on clear liquids for 2 days; mushies for 2 days and then back to normal... I go for my 2nd fill tomorrow.

I do not have instructions before the fill, but I never eat, last time I had a Protein shake before I went. I am to be on full liquids for two days and two days of soft food. I generally make it about a day and a half on the liquids, this time it was one day and I caved for soft food.< /p>

I sometimes get swelling around the band after a fill, so that alone helps me to stay on the liquids, but I don't feel much swelling this time, so I went to soft foods a day early. I can also judge by how well liquids and yogurt go down, what I can tolerate.

My doctor gave me an instruction sheet that said no eating 5 hours before the procedure and no liquids (not even water) 1 hour before the procedure... then after that i am on clear liquids for 2 days; mushies for 2 days and then back to normal... I go for my 2nd fill tomorrow.

Syndy and I have the same surgeon. I didn't know these rules when I went for my first fill and had eaten a scrambled egg about an hour before. The doctor said it wasn't a problem, just that some people are more sensitive than others.

I also don't totally follow that after fill requirement. I have liquids for the first 24 hours and then mushies for 24 hours. If everything feels okay, I move on to the real stuff.

Too bad every doc has their own requirements. My instructions: eat normally until the time of your fill; liquids 24 hours post; then back to usual eating. Following this set of instructions: I had my 2nd fill yesterday at 1030am, I had my normal Breakfast (chewable Vitamin, oatmeal with berries, coffee to follow), then had full fluids for lunch and supper and Breakfast. Today's lunch - a normal one.

You just have to wonder about all of the conflicting instructions...:rolleyes:

I agree, tapshoes, there is so much discrepancy between Drs. Have to wonder about that. Had my first fill yesterday and it was ok for me to eat before hand but I'm on clear liquids for 72 hours. Yikes! It's about 24 for me now and I think I'll be ok throughout work. But by tomorrow? This time around isn't as bad as when I had to fast 5 days after my surgery. Probably 'cause of eating better now

No restrictions before, Clear Liquids for about 1/2 a day, then I can have Protein Shakes. I can do mushies about 24 hours or so after that, then regular food on day two. He always warns me to be conservative though and retest things that I ate before as I may have more difficulty with them after I am tighter.

I can't have anything after midnight for a morning fill or after 8 a.m. for an afternoon fill. It wasn't bad for a morning fill but I'm not looking forward to the 1:00 fill. After the fill I can have full liquids the rest of that day and mushies the next. If the mushies are going well I can start to re-introduce solid food the following day (Day 3) :)

My doc didn't give any pre-fill instructions, but after a fill we're supposed be on 2 days of clear liquids, 2 days of full liquids, and 2 days of mushies. I did do liquids the first day, but I started on mushies the 2nd day. I seem to be getting everything down fine.

I feel like the oddball. I nevr eat before a fill, even though I wasn't told not too. And afterward, my MD just says to take it easy for the rest of the day, nothing too heavy. As a matter of fact, my MD actually gives his pts. 2 crackers and a pint of Water after to make sure it goes down. Weird huh!