Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Check in Febsters!

I had my first fill last Friday. It was pretty easy but it was a weird experience. I had upwards of 6 people at one time in my room "checking me out". I felt like such a novelty. It was more of a production than it had to be. I got 3 ccs in my large band. Can anyone tell me how many ccs that band holds? I had all the original saline removed right after surgery so I truly only have 3 ccs now. Didn't make but maybe a small subtle difference. I go back in one week to get another fill.

I have been low carbing for the last 2 weeks just to see if I could get my weight loss jump started. Well, that wasn't a popular thing to say to the 6 people involved in my fill. They weren't happy with the low carb life. Oh well, I'm doing what I have to do to lose any weight.

Does anyone know of an easy low carb way to get through the first day of a fill when we are doing liquids? My Optifast had tons of carbs.

I'm down 20 lbs total in 2 months. Not too bad... I'm still fighting with gaining and losing the same 2 lbs every few days.

Thanks for listening and for a great thread...

Cindy

Glad you started this thread Angie as I have been out of the loop for awhile!!

I've basically had NO restriction since 2 weeks post-op. My first fill he only gave me 1cc and that didn't do SQUAT!:smile: I was all excited to go to my second fill appt yesterday thinking "ok, this time he'll be more agressive and put in 2-3cc's". I weighed in, got into the exam room and when he walked in he said "hey there....you seem to be right on track by losing 4 pounds". I told him "4 pounds in a month? That's right on track?". He said, "yep, 4-9 pounds is what we expect with band patients". Oh well, I thought, just get me up on that table and start fillin'!! He then says "so, keep up the good work and we'll see you in a month". *Cut to me with my mouth on the ground looking like I just got sucker punched* "WHOAAAAAA", I said, "You're not going to give me a fill? You're joking right? I'm hungry all the time and it's only thru pure willpower that I'm losing any weight at all!! Because the band sure isn't working as a "tool"!! So, to make a VERY long story short, I begged and pleaded and he agreed to give me another "micro-fill"....1cc......gee, thanks Doc!! So, let me get this straight. The only way I qualify for a fill is if I lose less than 4 pounds in a month or gain weight?!!! Needless to say, I left thankful that I got SOMETHING, but discouraged that I've been through all of this and the sickening reality is that I am doing it on my own!:blushing: I have to wait another month and god knows what will happen then. I surely don't want to intentionally slow my weight loss or god forbid GAIN WEIGHT just so I can get a more agressive fill!! So, for now I will continue eating like a lapbander and exercising like I have been in the hopes that the scale continues to move in the right direction. And I will hope that next month I get another fill in the hopes of one day knowing what it feels like to have TRUE restriction.

Sorry for the rant.....on a lighter note......I'm happy to hear of everyone's progress and GREAT NSV's. Thanks for all your support:smile2:

Amy

I have heard of this happening, and I'm sorry it had to happen to you! I think it's BS that the fill center didn't want to give you a fill.. ridiculous! That's why we got it to begin with! at my place you just have to be dramatic about "i'm hungry.. i'm looking for food all the time... i've been eating a lot" type thing. that's how they gauge how much fill to give you. I go on Tuesday and I dont' know what to tell them. I can eat a lot, but I'm not hungry all the time. I don't go looking for Snacks, but I'm eating way more than I should. I haven't gained or lost any weight since my fill wore off, which is a plus, but it was nice almost losing a pound a day with my fill. Too bad it lasted such a short time.

Does anyone know of an easy low carb way to get through the first day of a fill when we are doing liquids? My Optifast had tons of carbs.

I'm down 20 lbs total in 2 months. Not too bad... I'm still fighting with gaining and losing the same 2 lbs every few days.

Thanks for listening and for a great thread...

Cindy

Get the Slim Fast LOW CARB chocolate shakes in the can. They are hard to find, but wal mart has them. High Protein and very low carb.

I do low carb, and nothing is wrong with it. I dont' do the Atkins where they basically say to eat bacon and eggs and all that, I do South Beach, which does incorporate carbs and fruits. I eat lots of multigrain stuff and I don't do bacon, I do turkey bacon. Much healthier.

It's so good to hear how the Feb. Bandsters are doing! Congratz on the work everyone has done! :smile:

My current update:

I'm pleased to be down 30 pounds now, from my high of 252. My first fill didn't give much restriction, but then I wasn't expecting it to, it's all part of the process. I'm sticking to my diet and exercise - I do 1-2 miles on my treadmill everyday. I think this is really helping to keep my metabolism burning. If I diet only, I just don't lose. My next fill isn't until the end of this month, I'm hoping to get out of the 220's before then (I'm close!). The weather here in Michigan is changing, no more snow *hopefully*! I can't wait to get outside and plant my gardens and work in the yard.

Some good NSV's for me - I saw my PCP a few days ago, and she cut my blood pressure medication in half! Woot! I'm also off a sleep medication and sleeping just fine without it . . . it's good to see the medications go! Yes! My 2x clothes no longer fit me . . . way to baggy, and I'll now have to go through my closets and dig out the 1x's. I'd also like to go shopping for some new stuff, but I don't want to over-do it. I can't wait to get out of the plus sizes for good . . . I'll get there yet!

I have a goal of getting to onederland before this summer (July when we go on vacation) . . . that's 22 pounds, I'm hoping I can do it. Gonna try hard!

ReadySteadyGo - I'm a worrier too, lol. I'm pleased with this weight loss I've done, but for some reason today I'm feeling anxious. I've been on diets before where I've lost, and I'm just paranoid this is all gonna come back. I'm thankful I have the band to fall back on - hopefully it will keep me on track, and the next fill will give me some restriction . . . but at the same time I want to do this slowly, and I don't want my doctor to get aggressive with fills (not saying he will, I'll have to wait and see at my next appointment). I'd rather go slowly than get too much and get sick and have to back for an un-fill. (see I am a big worrier :blushing:).

Anyway . . . sorry to be chatty and make a long post . . . that's about it for me, just hanging in there and looking forward to Spring and Summer!

Please keep in touch Feb bandsters, it's great to be able to share this lapband journey with all of you - you all are inspiring and special!

Just Keep Swimming! :cursing:

Glad you started this thread Angie as I have been out of the loop for awhile!!

I've basically had NO restriction since 2 weeks post-op. My first fill he only gave me 1cc and that didn't do SQUAT!:blushing: I was all excited to go to my second fill appt yesterday thinking "ok, this time he'll be more agressive and put in 2-3cc's". I weighed in, got into the exam room and when he walked in he said "hey there....you seem to be right on track by losing 4 pounds". I told him "4 pounds in a month? That's right on track?". He said, "yep, 4-9 pounds is what we expect with band patients". Oh well, I thought, just get me up on that table and start fillin'!! He then says "so, keep up the good work and we'll see you in a month". *Cut to me with my mouth on the ground looking like I just got sucker punched* "WHOAAAAAA", I said, "You're not going to give me a fill? You're joking right? I'm hungry all the time and it's only thru pure willpower that I'm losing any weight at all!! Because the band sure isn't working as a "tool"!! So, to make a VERY long story short, I begged and pleaded and he agreed to give me another "micro-fill"....1cc......gee, thanks Doc!! So, let me get this straight. The only way I qualify for a fill is if I lose less than 4 pounds in a month or gain weight?!!! Needless to say, I left thankful that I got SOMETHING, but discouraged that I've been through all of this and the sickening reality is that I am doing it on my own!:cursing: I have to wait another month and god knows what will happen then. I surely don't want to intentionally slow my weight loss or god forbid GAIN WEIGHT just so I can get a more agressive fill!! So, for now I will continue eating like a lapbander and exercising like I have been in the hopes that the scale continues to move in the right direction. And I will hope that next month I get another fill in the hopes of one day knowing what it feels like to have TRUE restriction.

Sorry for the rant.....on a lighter note......I'm happy to hear of everyone's progress and GREAT NSV's. Thanks for all your support:smile2:

Amy

Warm hugs Amy, I've been missing you!

I'm really sorry to hear about the difficulty with your fills! That's what the band is for, to assist us, right? Plus this is what the band advertises - helping get rid of that hunger. Oy. You shouldn't have to stop losing weight to get a fill! I'm so sorry sweetie. :thumbup: On the plus side, you've done all this hard work on your own. Give yourself credit for that! You've done great!

Let's hang in there together . . . and hopefully we'll both be feeling some restriction soon. I think my body is starting to rebel against the weight I have lost. Lately it feels my hunger has increased by 200% . . . it's very hard to stay focused on my diet right now. I'll have to see what happens at my next fill. More hugs Amy . . . please keep in touch and let me know how you are doing! :smile:

Congrats all you Feb. bandsters!!!

I'm down 22lbs. since sugery. I had my first fill 3/10 and I am so ready for my second fill 4/21. Its been really hard to make myself get out of bed and go exercise on all these rainy days we've had lately.

I feel like I'm eating too much, but I don't eat anything like I was pre-band. No seconds on anything and no sweets unless it comes in a hundred calorie pak and then only one. Confession time...one day I really wanted some chips and dip, the old me would have over done it, chowing down & watching tv, but the new me got 4 chips out of the bag, walked away and enjoyed them. NSV to me:smile:. Anyway, I guess I was hoping to be full on a few bites but I guess that will come in time.

Its great to see where everyone else is on their journey. Keep up the good work VV's.

I'm stuck between 210 and 212...uuggghh. I need a second fill, it is quite a struggle to stay at 1000 calories a day. I can't wait until summer so I can get in more exercise (i'm a teacher). I can eat anything so I am just trying to focus on making healthy choices. Good to see everyones progress!! I keep telling myself that it has only been 6 weeks and I have lost about 14 lbs since surgery day, not too shabby I guess. It just can't come off fast enough, ya know!

Warm hugs Amy' date=' I've been missing you!

I'm really sorry to hear about the difficulty with your fills! That's what the band is for, to assist us, right? Plus this is what the band advertises - helping get rid of that hunger. Oy. You shouldn't have to stop losing weight to get a fill! I'm so sorry sweetie. :lol: On the plus side, you've done all this hard work on your own. Give yourself credit for that! You've done great!

Let's hang in there together . . . and hopefully we'll both be feeling some restriction soon. I think my body is starting to rebel against the weight I have lost. Lately it feels my hunger has increased by 200% . . . it's very hard to stay focused on my diet right now. I'll have to see what happens at my next fill. More hugs Amy . . . please keep in touch and let me know how you are doing! :lol:[/quote']

Oh Lori,

You always make me smile...you're just so darn sweet!:lol: Well, since my last post, I'm happy to report I put a call into my doc and he called me back this morning. I explained my disappointment and frustration and told him I want this to be a "parternship". Meaning, I have to be willing to make the lifestyle changes and adhere to the "bandster rules" and he needs to be willing to do the appropriate fills to make the band work!! He was very understanding and we actually chatted for about 15 mins on the phone. He told me to make an appt for two weeks and we would reaccess and do another fill if necessary:thumbup:. I'm so happy and relieved!! Meanwhile, I hit the 30 pound mark this morning so I have nothing but smiles and elation today.:lol: Thank you all so much for wonderful support!!

Lori- congrats on your NSV's!! Cutting your blood pressure meds in half is AWESOME!! This journey is so much more than losing weight. It's about reclaiming our health and prolonging our lives. What a tremendous gift!! And trust me, sister.....you'll be in ONDERLAND by summer NO PROBLEM!! We will do it together. I'm 20 pounds shy of onederland, so we are on the same path. All we have to do is JUST KEEP SWIMMING!!:lol:

No one said it was going to be easy, but I think ALL of us Double V's are kicking some serious butt!!!:cursing:

Excellent thread!

I had my first fill on 3/18 -- 4.6cc's in my 10 cc AP band. I still have restriction, but I can already tell it's tapering off. Since my doctor is out of state (I went back to him for my first fill), I am getting ready to try to get a local doc to accept me for the rest of my fills. I found several that take "outside" patients but they want to review my surgery report first.

And as you can see I am down just over 25 pounds and very happy about that. I also started exercising regularly last week and I'm sure that it's helped. I have had a few PBs unfortunately, but nothing too bad or that caused any lasting problems. I know they were my own fault -- just eating too fast when hungry/taking big bites. It's a learning process!

Overall I am doing really well, very happy and pleased so far. I hope everyone is well. :cursing:

Edited by GreenChrysalis

I'm so glad to hear of everyon'e successes. I wish you all the best, and most of all good health!

I have pretty much just been staying on plan. I will finally get to my first fill appointment next Friday. It has so far been 7 loo-ooong weeks. In this time, I have been able to take a step back and realize that I am doing really great. I thought that since I have been able to feel hunger since day three that I needed a fill ASAP. Well, I think I might have been doing my eating wrong. This is definitely a learning curve and as I am adjusting to the band way of life, I am finding out that certain foods will keep you from being hungry for longer.

I am so glad to report that I have lost 25 pounds in 7 weeks. I feel that is right on! That is about a 3.5 pounds per week loss. I notice some weeks I will gain a few, but then others I will just drop like crazy. I just need to learn to be patient with my body - and as long as I stay on my routine 95% of the time, the weight will go away.

I love my band, and I am so happy to have made the plunge to do it. My secret to success has been mostly my exercise routine. I have really bumped up the intensity and it is really paying off. I do eat well, making sure to eat properly and a well balanced diet. I'm also very aware of how many calories I'm intaking. I don't want to do too many of course, but too little is not good either.

I have never felt better! I feel so healthy and alive!! My band is able to keep my portions in check, which is really all I wanted out of the deal. I personally think I might be alright for awhile with only one fill, since I'm already eating small portions. I still want to be able to eat mostly anything that I like, and most of what I like is really healthy food to begin with. Don't get me wrong, there are a few demon foods I indulge in from time to time!! :cursing: I would just like for my meal to last a bit longer, by maybe an hour or so. Other than that, I have absolutely no complaints.

Cheers every VV in the room!!

I really like coming in here to see how wonderful everyone is doing. It's awesome how much everyone has lost in just about 2 months. I had my 2nd fill yesterday. I lost 2 pounds in 3 weeks. The doctor decided to give me only .4cc in my 10cc band. This brings me to a total of 4.5 (they put in 3.6 at surgery). I feel a little more restriction but not that much. I don't mind taking things slow, maybe I won't need another surgery to rid of the loose skin. I have my 30 :tongue: year high school reunion next year - the same year my oldest daughter graduates from high school. I would love to be at my high school weight for her graduation and our reunion.

Becca, I could have written your post myself! We are almost identical!

Got my second fill today. It actually hurt just a little bit today, not bad, just like getting blood drawn. The doctor says I have a skinny scar and if he doesn't hit the scar just right (where it is numb) then it will hurt a bit. No biggie. I can't tell a whole lot of difference right now. A little hungry but I'm just on liquids right now and when I drank my shake this evening I felt nicely full.

I have lost 52 lbs from my highest weight of 277 back in October and 45 lbs from my first appt with my surgeon so I'm pretty much at the halfway point. Becca, like you, I'm not doing any form of exercising right now; however, I am much more active and spending more time working in the yard and stuff. The doctor was very pleased with my progress and I'm pleased as well. We will see how this fill does!

Hey, I think this thing works!

My 2nd fill is GREAT! I can still eat more than I should for dinner, but in the morning that thing is locked down tight! I tried to eat an egg and piece of toast this morning and couldn't finish it. Nice! For lunch I had a small Wendy's chili.

I guess I'll stop feeling bad about how much I can eat at dinner!

Things have been going along slowly here. I had my first fill March 24th and have relost the weight I had gained when I lost my restriction before Easter (It couldn't have happened at a worse time. All those homemade goodies.:tt1:) My next fill is scheduled for April 9th. I'm hoping for a good result. My walking has improved. The world hasn't cooperated with that. Gallbladder surgery in January and band in Feb, then a twisted knee. I finally ordered a kneebrace big enough and it seems on the mend now. To gripe, my husband lost his job last week so stress is a little high haround here. On the bright side he did get 3 month severence pay so that buys time. I just want to stomp my feet and scream...but it wouldn't help now any more than when I was...a child?:sad: Oh well. That's life and it would be nice if we don't have to move. Not much chance there. Sorry about the rant.:frown:

On the other hand, if I have to move LBT is still there no matter where I would go and the info for docs is available....and 100 years from now noone will care so it must not be that catastrophic:rolleyes2:. Thanks for listening.

Tina

Oh Lori,

You always make me smile...you're just so darn sweet!:redface:

Awwwwwww :blush: thank-you! You're a special friend, and always make me smile too! (I'm gonna show up in sunny San Diego one of these days! :frown: ) I'm glad I was able to bring a smile . . . I was worried about you!

Well, since my last post, I'm happy to report I put a call into my doc and he called me back this morning. I explained my disappointment and frustration and told him I want this to be a "parternship". Meaning, I have to be willing to make the lifestyle changes and adhere to the "bandster rules" and he needs to be willing to do the appropriate fills to make the band work!! He was very understanding and we actually chatted for about 15 mins on the phone. He told me to make an appt for two weeks and we would reaccess and do another fill if necessary:thumbup:. I'm so happy and relieved!! Meanwhile, I hit the 30 pound mark this morning so I have nothing but smiles and elation today.:lol: Thank you all so much for wonderful support!!

I'm so glad you had a long talk with your doctor, and were able to make this a "partnership", plus get another appointment for a fill! Good going Amy for being your own advocate! :thumbup: It's great that your doctor talked to you for that long. Surgical experience may come first, but I truly believe the mark of an excellent doctor is one who will listen to your concerns, and treat you as an individual instead of just another bariatric patient. Especially with the lap-band, since we have to go back often for adjustments. Sounds like your doctor is a good one!

Lori- congrats on your NSV's!! Cutting your blood pressure meds in half is AWESOME!! This journey is so much more than losing weight. It's about reclaiming our health and prolonging our lives. What a tremendous gift!! And trust me, sister.....you'll be in ONDERLAND by summer NO PROBLEM!! We will do it together. I'm 20 pounds shy of onederland, so we are on the same path. All we have to do is JUST KEEP SWIMMING!!:sad:

No one said it was going to be easy, but I think ALL of us Double V's are kicking some serious butt!!!:tt1:

Thanks! :tongue: and congratz to you for reaching 30 pounds of weight loss! I really hope I can achieve my goal for this Summer . . . right now I'm feeling so hungry, the diet is hard to stick to. And my next fill isn't until April 28th. But, like you said, no one said this is easy, and I'm rather liking the challenge and hangin' tough. Gonna just keep swimming and kicking butt!

We will do this together! :tongue:

*hugs*