Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie from Melbourne - Introduction

Hi everyone

My name's Joanne and I am a Mum in Melbourne to two little boys. I am getting banded at The Avenue in Melbourne on the 11th of April. Tomorrow week! I have to admit I am terrified. I've had surgery before but never at this weight and never voluntarily. It puts a bit of a different slant on it knowing I am putting myself through this by choice. My GP suggested the surgery to me a year and a half ago but I've put it off until now. I am sick to death of dieting, losing a decent amount of weight the putting it all back on plus the few extra kilos. I've had enough and I'll end up the size of a house otherwise.

Finding Optifast so difficult. For me, the bars and Desserts have that really fake, sweet taste that I can't stand and the shakes are just blah! I've been blending them with heaps of ice which make them a bit more tolerable. But I've lost 3.6 kilos so far and still have a week to go so I am hoping to get to at least 7 kilos. I hope that will be enough.

Anyway, enough of my rambling. I have read a lot of threads here and you've all be SO helpful so thank you so much.

Hi everyone

My name's Joanne and I am a Mum in Melbourne to two little boys. I am getting banded at The Avenue in Melbourne on the 11th of April. Tomorrow week! I have to admit I am terrified. I've had surgery before but never at this weight and never voluntarily. It puts a bit of a different slant on it knowing I am putting myself through this by choice. My GP suggested the surgery to me a year and a half ago but I've put it off until now. I am sick to death of dieting, losing a decent amount of weight the putting it all back on plus the few extra kilos. I've had enough and I'll end up the size of a house otherwise.

Finding Optifast so difficult. For me, the bars and desserts have that really fake, sweet taste that I can't stand and the shakes are just blah! I've been blending them with heaps of ice which make them a bit more tolerable. But I've lost 3.6 kilos so far and still have a week to go so I am hoping to get to at least 7 kilos. I hope that will be enough.

Anyway, enough of my rambling. I have read a lot of threads here and you've all be SO helpful so thank you so much.

Welcome Jonanne!,

And good luck for next week, who is your surgeon just out of interest, I was banded at the Avenue last friday and to date all is 110%

if you need anything just holla!

HI Joanne,

Good to see another future bandster! I have been banded for a long time so if you have any questions feel free to drop me a line.

I tried Optifast before, it is hell on earth! I got so malnurished i passed out after a few days on it, and that was with eating dinner.< /p>

Congrats on the weight loss so far, it shows you will do well on the band since you can stick to optifast.

Good luck on your journey, we will all be here for you

Bel

Hi Joanne

Good luck with your op next week. I know what you are going through (we all go through the yips!) but believe me you will be so thankful for having the surgery, all that Optiyuk will be worth it in the end. There are all sorts of ways you can make the shakes more palatable (powdered jelly mix, flavourings etc) so explore this site and have a look at a few suggetions. It certainly helped me get through the two weeks priot to surgery.

You will be fine, you are going through the normal emotional process right now and in a few days time, you will feel more rational than you thought you would.

Hugs

Welcome Joanne, congrats on the 3.6 kgs, its great to see another Aussie around here. How you're feeling is totally normal, but let me tell you my band is one of the best things I've ever done for myself, in time you will probably feel the same way!

Thanks everyone for the welcome. It's nice to know that I am not alone in how I am feeling. The pre-surgery diet really is doing my head in. I was constantly biting my husband's head off yesterday. I am sure he is really pleased he had to go back to work today.

Batkitty my surgeon is Gary Crosthwaite. :regular_smile:

Hi Joanne

Know the feelings well, banded last Wednesday, was so anxious leaving my family to go to 'elective' surgery(believe me no choice involved at the weight I had gotten to). All went fine and i feel amazing now...it's only the start of my journey but I will be thinking of you as you start yours.

Good luck

Noela

Hi Joanne, I was banded by Gary Crosthwaite in Nov 07....lovely person...only seen him twice since the surgery as the Docs at The Avenue do the fills after his first one.....i was scared at the time of surgery mainly because i was sad that i had let myself get to the stage where i had to take such a drastic action....I am so glad i did now..have lost 20kilos and feel great...It gets better as time goes on...Pam

Hi Joanne, I was banded yesterday. I understand the nerves - I think that is very normal. Stay positive and know this is ultimately a great long term health choice. I stayed very positive in the days leading up to my surgery, and just "knew" it would go well - it did, and will for you also.