Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

has anyone else experienced anyting like this????

As soon as I had my consultation with the surgeon, I decided to do little things to get ready for the HUGE lifestyle change to come. So I decided to quit smoking (which I am successful--- so far!) quit caffiene and to go on slimfast, so that when I have to go on strict liquids, I would already be used to having a liquid meal twice a day. And I stopped with all the Snacks and sweets and fast food, and started on a very good quality organic whole foods vitamin!

Did mention I did all of this at one time??? I just decided one day to do it so when I got up the next morning I started. No cigs, no soda, no tea, no reese cups, no Mickey D's, no Taco Bell, etc...

Well if you want to know what agony is like, then just try what I did. I did really well the first several days, then gradually last Thursday my head started to ache, so i took some tylenol... then my head started to pound! I figured it was from the caffiene withdrawl. By the time i got home, I barely made it to bed. I was in bed from 5:30 pm to 6 am every time i would turn in my sleep my head ache would wake me up because it just hurt soooo bad. I got up at 2am and drank a small juice cup of pepsi, thinking by the morning i'd feel much better. I didn't much feel better, only a tiny bit better. I took a hot shower thinking that would help, no luck. I went through another miserable day at work. Finally a co-worker gave a couple of excedrin Migraine. It helped some, but I still was not doing well. My best friend talked me into taking some midrin (prescription meds for migrain) I am not big of taking meds, espically other peoples meds... espically pain killers, but I was desperate. The midrin worked well. Saturday I felt better but still a bit of throbbing, so I took the midrin again. Felt MUCH better! Yesterday I felt pretty good all day, Didn't need a midrin until yesterday evening. Today all i have taken is a tylenol this a.m. and I will not take any more because I do NOT want to get a rebound headache, I told a nurse friend what happened, she said that i tried to do too many at once. She said espically with caffiene it is important to reduce by 1 drink/day for a week the 2/per for aq week and so on until u are off of it. Plus I shocked my body when i suddenly dramatically changed my diet and quit smoking. So i got back on the pepsi, and sweet tea! Still trying to follow the slim fast thing but with the caffiene. I am going to wait 2 weeks and then try WEANING off of caffiene... the last four days have been the most miserable days of my life... seriously no exaderateration (sp?) this non stop "fading" headache hurt worse than when i had a c-section and was off all pain meds 2 days later! I never want to go through this again!!!! Now if I cough or sneeze My head throbs, but other than that and an "ouchie" now and then I am feeling sooooo much better. Has anyone else had anything like this??

Edited by VIRGO_GIRL824

Wow, I'm so sorry you went through that! I gotta give you credit for doing it cold turkey. Not many people would hang on like you did!

Makes you wonder how caffeine and cigarettes are legal.

Congrats on your effort and best of luck to you!

I know everytime I have tried to start a diet I would go through some serious withdrawels... Enough to make me say "forget this!" Probably not just the caffeine and cigs, but probably all the refined sugar too. These companies got us over a barrel with these "convenience" foods.

Hey there! These things are difficult to let go of for a reason... Our bodies and minds rely on them and can last for a short while with a rapid change, but after a while they go, "oh, wait! You're serious, aren't you? SOUND THE ALARM!!!"

The key in my mind to any change in behavior or dependance on a substance is to do it gradually. Tapering is the key to making sure your body doesn't freak out.

All the things you tried are very admirable, and I don't want to discount the courage it took to do what you did! Don't feel bad if the difficulty of going cold turkey jumps up and bites ya unexpectedly... It's not your fault, it's just the way these things work. For any behavior change to be permanent, the slower the better. It can keep you sane and your body from getting too upset.

None of these changes need to take place overnight, but the fact that you're committed to changing them is awesome. Just keep on keepin' on, and good luck! :-)

Yes, it's withdrawal. I commend your efforts, but you are doomed for failure...so Dr. Phil would say.

Making lifestyle changes are great, but you should tackle 1-2 at a time AND do soul searching at the same time. You must replace one behavior with another and doing more than 1-2 at a time...that's alot to do.

Good luck!

Thanks to all... Grace, my friend who is also in the process getting the LapBand said the same thing "your setting yourself up for failure" I realize that now... I'm staying off the cigs though if i can,one day at a time... I will defniately wean withnext time... I just wanted to prepare myself, but i was definately not PREPARED for that almost week long headache!!!!!

Oh boy, I couldnt do that! I weaned myself DOWN off so much caffeine over about six weeks becuase I knew that post op, I wouldnt be able to waste all my stomach space on coffee. I was down to just one cup of caffeinated coffee a day.

I missed the habit, but I didnt miss the caffeine.

Just giving up smoking is a great thing. Good for you. I have given up all soda pop(goodbye forever beloved diet pepsi:sad:) and I'm slowly giving up caffeine all in anticipation of future surgery. But you are one brave person to cold turkey everything. I have a consult with a surgeon on 4-21 and hope to get a lapband sometime this year. I sure wish you success with all you are trying to do. Keep us posted on how you are doing.:crying::thumbup:

I never tried to stop so many addictions at once cold turkey, however, I am a victim of Hurricane Katrina and after the storm I had serious side effects from not consuming caffeine. It took me a few days to even pin point where the head aches and irritability was coming from. Try gradually taking yourself off the caffeine like your nurse friend suggested. You will be much happier!

Have you tried 1/2 caff? Folgers makes a real good coffee and I can't tell the difference. I started drinking that when I got approved in January. I drink that or Decaf every day now.

~C

:puke: I give you a two thumbs up for even trying such a huge task! I don't smoke but I was a avid diet pepsi drinker, and when I weaned myself off of the 3/4 cans to 1 can per day, I too had a horrible headache and I was popping Excedrin like candy. Keep up the good work and know that's it's just going to get better from here!!:)

Good luck at your efforts. That's a lot to do at once.

I only gave up caffeine at some point. At that time I had read that you can taper it and stop without headaches. So I put a pot of Decaf in the refrigerator and cut my regular coffee a little bit more each day. Soon I was drinking all decaf and no headaches. Even at restaurants, waiters are used to making up a coffee that's half and half so it's not all that hard to do.

One caveat: don't use instant decaf. It is terrible. If you possibly can, grind your own or second best, used canned or coffee bags. I gave caffeine up for blood pressure reasons but I have to say that it's reallly nice to wake up and not worry about getting my cup of coffee first thing in the morning and being useless until I've had it.

Thats a huge task! You and I did the same thing kind of... mine was slightly slower than you though haha.

I quit smoking, quit caffeine, changed how I eat, and gave up wine. We must both be crazy but in the long run its gonna be for the best!

Good luck on all that is to come :blush:

I feel like you and I are in the exact same boat! Friday, March 21st, I quit smoking, caffeine and started on low fat/low calorie diet. I know it is hard, But I will tell you if you go back to anything, let it be some caffeine, NOT THE CIGS!! Trust me it gets harder to quit the more you stop and start. I quit last year at this time for the surgery, (which I couldn't get approved for:cursing: and started back up. I will tell you, this time was ALOT harder! Instead of thinking you are set up for a disappointment, Think of it as "I can tell everyone I did this all at the same time, and nobody else has been able too! I think you can continue, you are doing great! Just think of that new band and body you will be having!!

d1bf54eea00c069e438dd54gs3.gif