Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Brigham and Women/Faulker Hospital

Hi everyone!

so I am looking to get the LB surgery at Brigham and Women's. In order to make an appointment with the surgeon I was told I have to go to a seminar. I missed the one in march so I have to go to the April one. How long, after the seminar, did you get an appointment with the surgeon? Also I have HArvard Pilgrim Health care and if anyone has them how long did it take to get approved? What should I expect at the seminar/surgeons first meeting?

I am really excited to get this process started and love seeing how great you all are doing! keep up the good work!

- Kate

Hi!

I went to the January Info meeting and called immediately after and was given my first consult 4 weeks later. It all depends on the schedule of the surgeons and the openings they have.

Make sure you pre register for the info meeting at the Brigham/Faulkner...either by phone or email.

I went to the seminar given by Dr Robinson. Very well presented.

I also have Harvard Pilgrim and they are fairly easy to grant approval if you have the BMI and co-morbidities to qualify.

I called to make the appointment with the surgeon,then I called my primary care and asked for a referral. I just had my pre-tests and now go back to Dr Robinson on April 14th for a follow-up and hopefully, a date for the procedure!

At the seminar there is a presentation with literature handouts and slides. The presenters are the billing rep, the Nutritionist and the Surgeon. Time is given throughout the talks for questions from the audience as the talks progress..and they are plentiful.

At the first consult with the surgeon, you change into a gown(slacks left on), the assistant takes your weight and blood pressure, the surgeon comes in and asks questions about your family history with weight, diseases, sleep problems and any meds you are taking, etc. Then you lie down and he examines the stomach area and listens to the heart.

I was told to lose 10-15 lbs by the next visit to help prepare for the procedure. Then I was on my way.

The next step was to make appointments for an upper GI barium xray, a psych evaluation , a sleep study and a visit to see the nutritionist.

All of that was scheduled by the surgeon's office for 1 day of visits ...except the sleep study. If you don't have a car, they are in the same area...you just hop from one to the other...there is plenty of time in between.

Hope that helps.

Edited by singingintherain

singingintherain -

thank you so much! that was very helpful! I saw my PCP and he said I was a great candidate so I am very excited to get this process started. I lose and gain these random 5 lbs everyweek it seems so my BMI is ranging from 39-41. I have knee problems from my weight and diabetes runs in my family [obesity does too :/ ]

I hope your process goes nice and smooth and thank you for getting back to me

Kate

you are welcome! I am fairly new, but share what I experience as I go along.

No doubt you will receive several replies from those who have been banded and are well on their way and have much more experience and weight loss tips to share.

ttyl!

Surfergirl, I used to sail and surf, and those are a couple of the things I am looking forward to enjoying once my weight gets down enough. I want to cross-country ski again to!

Singing I had my sleep study friday night and you weren't kidding. It took about an hour to hook me all up, by the time I got all tucked in it was probably close to 11:30. I slept but pretty much didn't move cuz everytime I did something wasn't picking up and I would get woken up anyway. I was put on cpap around 2:30 and slept till they woke me up at 6. It wasn't the best experience but they were so nice and the tech had me laughing so that helped me relax.

So no I just meet with Dr. R the end of April to see if my June 10th surgery date is a go.

Hope you are all enjoying the weather.. yah right! Although yesterday was nice :thumbup:)

Jay how are you doing? Haven't heard from you. Hope things are getting easier.

Welcome to the board K8 and surfergirl :eek:)

The silly putty they put in my hair was horrible! I just told him to leave it in and I'd deal with it at home rather than getting baptised again with the spray bottle. Glad I brought a scarf along. I was exausted after that 'sleep' study, came home , hit the tub, hit the sack and had a good REM sleep! WITH NO CAMERA POINTED AT ME !

Congratulations you are on the journey to complete wellness. To be honest the hard part is over. Thats getting the approval from your insurance.

Just wanted to share, I got my letter today from Blue Cross and I have been "approved" for surgery. :))

Congrats!! I'm excited for you!!

Singing - you and I are in the same boat. I just had my upper GI and psych today and I go back to meet with dr. R on April 14th too! Maybe we can be roomates!

Re: the psych appt. TOTAL WASTE OF TIME and $8 for parking! They had 3 people scheduled at the same time. Got there for my 1:00 appt and wasn't seen until 2:30!! And the psychologist just acts like no big deal that she has kept people waiting for hours!! I think I might call Jennifer and tell her that they need to look for a new dr. AND she only sees people on Mondays. So you are pretty much at her mercy. But, I made lots of friends :-). Everyone was there for the weight loss surgery consult.

One step at a time...each appt I breathe a sigh of relief that 'that's done'.

Are you having your procedure at the Brig or the Faulkner ?

I am scheduled for 8:15 am on the 14th..what time do you see the Good Dr Robinson?

Hi everyone, im still kicking around, ggoing for my fill tomorrow (dr. R wouldn't give me one last time. I was pretty upset, but then I stopped being upset, so I was just pretty) Paige- great new pic, you look awesome and congrats on telling some people. I hope this fill does something for me, I've felt pretty alone in this lately and have been gaining weight which is depressing. So fingers crossed!