Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Brigham and Women/Faulker Hospital

So... I don't know what happened to me today. I was at lunch, and I had some mashed potatoes. Which I have eaten a few times since surgery especially during the mushy phase. I take two bites and...uh oh. I'm stuck? I've had a few feelings of something similar before where I swallowed too big of a bite or something and it's a little painful for about 30 seconds and then you feel it pass. But this time it stayed there. I could feel the pressure on my chest. And I made my way into the bathroom and started to dry heave. Nothing came up. I start to wonder if I'm possessed. Next I heave and I expel from my devil riddled body nothing more than a bunch of saliva. Which is odd for several reasons, what happened to the mashed potatoes? Did they make it down and the saliva didn't? I'm nota scientist, but I would think it would go liquids first then the denser of the foods would go next. However, not the case.

The point of my post is to ask, was that a PB? Because to my understanding that would be a Productive Burp, but I didn't burp and nothing was produced. If I tell Dr. R. about this tomorrow do you think he might not give me a fill? I think i desperately need one, I'm hungry all the time!

also, who's going to the meeting tomorrow?

that is a pb sort of and what came up was the thick salvia (slime) that your stomach produces when food has trouble passing the band.

Bc it was mashed pototoes you could have eaten too fast and a bubble formed or the pototes just clogged up your stoma. Ive pd'd liquids before and even ice cream, thats why they say to sip your liquids slowly

If it only happened the one time I think you will be fine.

Thank you for the reassurance. It's odd to think that I got something stuck when I didn't think anything was in the band!

Jay, you should be a writer or a comedian. I love how you describe things!! I am going to the meeting and bringing along my friend, Jamie, too. I am going to have to bolt as soon as it's over because I have a friend in from out of state......promised him we'd do St. Patty's partying. :)

I'm in. See you all tomorrow! :scared2:

HI - I really havent been around lately, and wont be by the meeting tomorrow, I have PT conferences. I was really looking forward to comong to the meeting this month - you all give me so much encouragement, which I need now since my weight loss has slowed down dramatically. But I am feeling Ok lost 4 pounds this month so no complaints.

Hope to see you all soon

tova

I won't be coming to the meeting this time either. Still recovering from the flu & now my MIL has it so no babysitter either. I was down another LB today but probably cause of the flu & the fact i didn't eat yesterday. :lunch:

Hi everyone,

Had my first appt with Dr. R today and also met with Sari, the nutritionist. He told me I am a good candidate! So yay!! My next steps are to have the upper GI and meet the psych and then I see Dr. R again in 4 weeks.

I am a little nervous about the Upper GI - I have had one before so I am not nervous about the procedure. I am more nervous about the results. My acid reflux has really been acting up lately and I am just so scared something will show on the results and I won't be able to have the lap-band.

Everything was just like you all said, except for one thing. The PA part. I only talked to the PA for like 5 minutes and then Dr. R came in and talked to me for about 20 minutes and then he checked my heart and that was it. I was only expecting to see him for 5 minutes but I got a lot more of his time.

I am SO excited!!

Ms Dollaz,

The reason they give you the Upper GI is to check for a hiatial hernia. If you have one, they still go ahead with the surgery, but they take the extra 20 or so minutes to repair it while giving you the lap band. No worries. It won't change when you have things done---just what they do while they're in there!

Coral,

You left your water bottle behind last night. I think Jamie took it with her....

Tova,

We've missed you! Hope things are going well. Glad to hear you're losing again!!!!

Jay, You were missed, as was Yvonne!! It was kinda quiet without you there, and definitely fewer laughs.....

Heidi,

What's up girl? How many days til you leave?! Hope you feel better.

Tanya,

So glad you made the effort to be there less than 2 weeks after surgery! Hope your first day back to work was a good one. Get some rest. You're probably going to be very tired!!

Many of us can't go to the next meeting--it's during school vacation week. So....a handful of us intend to go visit Phyllis over at the Faulkner instead. If you're interested, come join us! :lol:

Hey everyone..sorry to have missed the mtg last night...my husband didn't get home until 7:00..Paige...I got your message, but my phone wasn't charged... I got it last night. Hope all is well with everyone. I FINALLY feel restriction...What a feeling! I now know what I have been missing! It took six months and five six fills to get there... I have been really discouraged in the past few weeks and had a "one on one" talk with Dr. R... he is SO HARD to talk to..he gave me a pretty aggressive fill and told me to stay positive. I am looking forrward to dropping some more weight now!

Hey Everyone, Hope it was a good meeting last night. I definitely thought of you all and was looking forward to meeting some new faces as I still don't know names to screen names. It was just a busy day and I really didn't want to make the hike into boston. I work in Boston, so if I get the chance to stay home one night I will!

Anyhow, I have my 2nd appt. with Dr. R on Monday. I wanted to ask what that is like, as I may have to lug the lil ones with me. Ages 3 and 2. Is it mostly just a weigh in and possibly a surgery date? I can't bear the thought of them tearing up the lobby just waiting for me to get in. Also, I have no excuse but I haven't lost much weight this month. Does that effect getting a surgery date? I know they want to make sure you are serious about this before going in. Ahh the weight saga continues!

Hi Everyone!

I'm glad I found this forum!! I'm Alanna and I'm interested in getting the lap band surgery done at Brigham and Womens.

I see there are meetings and I guess I just missed the one in March, so I will be attending the next one in April.

My Question is can you make an appointment/consult with the doctor before going to a meeting?

Could someone guide me along the steps of the process. I dont have any health issues well besides my fatness. So I "think" I am an Ideal candidate.

How do you get started?

Any info will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!:smile:

Alanna

Edited by muffet77
forgot to add some info

muffet the very first thing you want to do is attend an informational seminar. you will have to sign up for it bc it is part of the requirements for surgery. if you know who you want to pick for your surgeon you can start the calls now (correct me if I am wrong folks) but I think it is helpful to attend the info session first bc the team will be there and able to answer all the questions about the procedure and requirements.

Brigham And Women's Hospital - Events Registration

I so wanted to be at the support meeting this week.

I thought I had the stomach virus, but it turned out to be an attack of gallstones!!! Only had one other attack like that...horrid pain.

I am going to have my upper GI , psych and nutritionist visits Monday.

Then I go to see my PCP to see if I really need to have my gall bladder removed.

Has anyone ever heard of them doing it in the same procedure as Banding?

The method of operation is similar, and I figured I'd get blown up like a balloon only once and have the whole shebang over and done with.

I so wanted to be at the support meeting this week.

I thought I had the stomach virus, but it turned out to be an attack of gallstones!!! Only had one other attack like that...horrid pain.

I am going to have my upper GI , psych and nutritionist visits Monday.

Then I go to see my PCP to see if I really need to have my gall bladder removed.

Has anyone ever heard of them doing it in the same procedure as Banding?

The method of operation is similar, and I figured I'd get blown up like a balloon only once and have the whole shebang over and done with.

Hi Singing, I'm sorry you had to go through that, I hope you are feeling better. Good luck with your upcoming appointments. I'm seeing Dr. R on Tues.

Can someone please tell me where I need to go at the Brigham? My first appt. was at the faulkner.

Thanks

Sandy