Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Brigham and Women/Faulker Hospital

Jay! It's so good to hear from you. I see you are having a tough time and I am hoping that it is something that is just a stage of the process everyone goes through.

As a pre band person, I want to ask what it is that is making you feel full of regrets? Do you think it is a tiredness from eating less causing a depression?

Jay...YOU HAVE LOST ALMOST 45 LBS!!! THAT IS A BIG DEAL, MY FRIEND AND YOU SHOULD BE PROUD OF THAT! (cummon, big smile, now) :thumbup:

has anyone ever felt like getting the band was a mistake? I have for 3 days anyone else felt that, even for a minute?

ABSOLUTELY! I went through a few months of buyer's remorse. I had a lot going on and things to work through---from re-establishing all of my relationships (who knew how much we relied on food to be our connector....) to working on losing weight and not having the desired results. This isn't a sprint--it's a marathon. Along that route you'll encounter some hills, valleys, and definitely some straightaways.....but in the end, your sacrifices NOW will lead to a better life. I promise. It's hard now, no doubt. There are still very hard days for me. It won't go away. You've established your routines and life around eating for so many years. It's such a huge part of our identity! It gets easier. Think about counseling if it's covered by insurance. It was truly one of the best things I did for myself. The band is just one of the tools you'll need for your new life. When the food is taken away, you'll realize it was often something we did to avoid other things in our lives....and now you have no other option but to face those things. You'll get through this and feel like yourself sooner or later. I won't promise you that it's going to get easier right away. It took me a while..but it does get better. Again, the benefits far outweigh a few months of struggle, remorse, and frustration. You'll get there soon enough, Jay. We're here to help you. :thumbup:

hI jAY~ I can't say they I ever felt that way. The band is the best thing I've done in a long time!! You'll feel that way soon too! Your already doing awesome! Your in a hars place right now "BANSTER HELL" they call it. Your banded but still hungry & can't eat! This SUCKS!!!!! You'll get past it though. We're here for you!

Ok- good news! I started a food journal & counting my cals, pushed the fluids & the exercise & finally the scale MOVED DOWN!!! YAAAAAY!! I think if I keep better track of my food I 'll keep doing better.

I was so worried about getting the fill before but I don't think i even needed it! I have not been overly hungry. TTYL!

Hey there...Jesse from Jersey is coming up on St. Patty's Day. Trying to talk him into joining me for the meeting, but not sure that's gonna happen. :thumbup: So....he's pushing me to go out for the night, so it's unlikely I'll be joining you after the meeting after all....gotta be a good hostess. :w00t: Will let you know what happens. :tt2:

singin- I have seen that thread, and I'm happy for those people but I feel so removed from it. Maybe someday I'll be there, maybe I won't, time will tell.

Paige - Thank you for saying that you had trouble with it too, i really thought I was the only one. I really only see posts from people who either ate around the band and couldn't figure out what happened, or people who LOVED the band and I'm neither. I try my best to eat the right things and the smaller portions and no matter what I do the scale doesn't budge or goes up. I'm hoping a fill will at least help me take off a few pounds so I can feel the motivation again. Trying hard and seeing no result really takes the wind out of your sails.

Also part of my frustration is that I have this incision that still hasn't healed properly. I've been to my pcp and been calling Jennifer who is relaying messages to Dr. Robinson and I hope he can take care of it on tuesday. I was trying so hard to not have noticeable scars but this will definitely leave one. Which woudln't be a bad trade off if I was losing weight, but seeing an open wound on my abdomen and having it drain out onto my clothes (they say I can't bandage it) is getting pretty annoying.

I'm not sure about the meeting this month, I'll let you know a definite as soon as I know, but I have an appointment at 12:45 and I'm not sure I'll want to hang around until 6.

I got something in the mail about Brigham and Women's having something in Patriot Place in foxboro. I think i'll ask at my appointment if they do fills there. That would be much more convenient for me!

hi

I am kinda new to this site but it seems to me that the Brigham & Faulkner have lots of people who have gone or are planning to go there. I am still researching but did not want to go into downtown Boston if possible. I wasn't aware that surgeries were perfomed at the Faulkner. Any info about the Faulkner would be appreciated by me. Did people stay over one niteafter lap-band? Is the follow-up adequate?

I am going to try to attend the April seminar. I am also looking into St.Elizabeth's but no one seems to be responding to my thread about that facility.

hi

I am kinda new to this site but it seems to me that the Brigham & Faulkner have lots of people who have gone or are planning to go there. I am still researching but did not want to go into downtown Boston if possible. I wasn't aware that surgeries were perfomed at the Faulkner. Any info about the Faulkner would be appreciated by me. Did people stay over one niteafter lap-band? Is the follow-up adequate?

I am going to try to attend the April seminar. I am also looking into St.Elizabeth's but no one seems to be responding to my thread about that facility.

The surgeons from the Brigham and the Faulkner are the same. you can go to one info session or the other--no need to do both. You will need to stay over night for one night, and the advantage of the Faulkner is the private rooms....no roommate! My experience has been great with this program. The follow up has definitely been adequate for me. Good luck. Definitely go to an info session, but also consider attending a support group meeting, too!

I'm hoping a fill will at least help me take off a few pounds so I can feel the motivation again. Trying hard and seeing no result really takes the wind out of your sails.

Jay, I have to warn you that it took me at least 3 months of doing as directed before I lost weight. I strongly urge you to take measurements. I worked out over an hour and a half a day for my first 2 months. I finally met with the nutritionist--and she looked at my diet. She recommended that I increase my Protein and CUT BACK on the exercise. I think you should see her, too....keep track of what you eat in a journal to share with her. Track your Water, sleep and exercise, too. It's all a balancing act. Once you find the right balance for YOUR body, it'll all start working. I also wanted to tell you that it took me at least 2-3 fills before I noticed restriction.......You didn't gain this weight overnight. This isn't GB surgery. It takes time for your body to adjust. Stick with it, Jay.....it WILL happen. It just takes time.....I know it seems like it takes forever and it does. But it DOES come off. :)

The surgeons from the Brigham and the Faulkner are the same. you can go to one info session or the other--no need to do both. You will need to stay over night for one night, and the advantage of the Faulkner is the private rooms....no roommate! My experience has been great with this program. The follow up has definitely been adequate for me. Good luck. Definitely go to an info session, but also consider attending a support group meeting, too!

Hi BabyFat! Cute name :-)! I had my surgery at Faulkner. I didn't have any problems & actually liked how it's smaller then the Brigham. Can't say too much cause I was in & out. One complaint I had (small) I was right next to the nurses station & they were EXTREMELY loud at all hours laughing talking ect while I was trying to rest. :) Like I said small complaint.

BTW~We have the STOMACH FLU ripping through the house right now :). I emailed Dr Vernon to see if she could call in a prescription for me. Do you think she will :) ??? ANYONE????

I sit and read your post heidib and I identify..big time.

Not Banded , but holding my stomach right now and I think it is that same virus.

I do hope you find some pain killers and some anti-nausea meds soon. I have some tucked away in the drawer from last year's episode which sent me to the ER.

I don't handle stomach pain very well.

Now as for LP...I hear people talking about a pain which is described as a pressure when the food can't get past the band, etc. BUT..does one get stomach pain like the cramping , sick pain of the stomach virus kind?...You know...that duodenal sickly type pain? I can't stand that, and no way will I get Banded if I have to deal with that.

I thought I got away with being hit with the bug...guess not.

hey I just wanted to say that I had a really rough road with the complications I had; port flipped at one month...then my slip which I think happened early on and all the problems what came with that. So I think I can somewhat relate to how you feel Jay. It is hard very hard...esp when you hear everyone rant and rave about how easy it is and how its painless.

I too didnt lose much weight...I think 30lbs in those first 5-6 months.

I neither love nor hate my band...sometimes I get frustrated but I know I NEVER want to go back to being almost 300lbs.

I had that bug last month...if you cant get Dr V you should be able to get whom ever is on call. I found the phenegran to help somewhat but I still heaved voiently.I was so freaked out that I went back to Dr V for a check up when I was feeling better. No damage everything is fine.

I will be in Monday am for a fill and I am trying to make the Tuesday meeting.....it will all depend on how work is going

I sit and read your post heidib and I identify..big time.

Not Banded , but holding my stomach right now and I think it is that same virus.

I do hope you find some pain killers and some anti-nausea meds soon. I have some tucked away in the drawer from last year's episode which sent me to the ER.

I don't handle stomach pain very well.

Now as for LP...I hear people talking about a pain which is described as a pressure when the food can't get past the band, etc. BUT..does one get stomach pain like the cramping , sick pain of the stomach virus kind?...You know...that duodenal sickly type pain? I can't stand that, and no way will I get Banded if I have to deal with that.

I thought I got away with being hit with the bug...guess not.

Well, I now now how it feels to get the stomach flu while banded :). I felt like I wanted to throw up but just dry heaved & gaged alot. I guess it couldn't get past my band, I'm glad I think it would of hurt. It wasn't that bad. It was bad but no pain. I did end up calling Dr. V last night & she called me in desolvable pills & something else to.

Singing~I don't ever get cramping, PBing, or any problems like that.