Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I think my band has got to go.....

My situation is unusual. The surgeon said I was the 2nd patient who had difficulties like this, and he's done hundreds of bands.

I think my body is the type that doesn't accept foreign "matter" or implants.

Not to get too personal, but......

about 25 years ago I had an IUD put in and couldn't stand it and had it removed within a week. I was told "you won't even know it's there".

I did know it was there.

I just can't wait to feel better and stop the vomiting. I am taking Flintstones chewable Vitamins and that's helping me feel better. I was able to get down 1 qt. of Water and a cup of peppermint tea yesterday.:)

I'm so glad to hear they will try to help you so soon. I am so nervous to have mine removed (4-14) Please let me know how it was. I will certainly keep you in my thoughts!

I am having some of the same problems that you are but mine are not constant. They come and go. I tried to wait, but I'm DONE now. I want it out! I just got my date yesterday.

Good Luck to you and I cant wait to hear how you did.

I feel so much better already. I'm sad that it didn't work for me, but the wt. loss I've had with the band has given me a great head start.

I can't answer questions about the cost as it was covered by insurance.

My surgeon performed an endoscopy to see what could possibly cause my problems. My band was in place, no erosion, no signs of any problem with the band. My body just wasn't handling it well.

Came out of the surgery feeling the same way as when the band was put in. You know, that sore, disoriented feeling. Had some problems with sleeping as had lots of saliva (slime) I kept coughing, waking up and had the ole spitoon by my bed.

It was so nice to wake up this morning and not feel sick, just sore, and the drugs are taking care of that.

I'm to stay on liquids for 24 hrs. then on to soft foods for the next two days, then on to my new eating habits.

I have a follow up visit with the surgeon in 2 weeks.........

So, band removal is not too bad. If you can keep your band and not have the problems I had, then keep it!

It is a little scarey that I don't have it to control my eating, but.......

Going through all this pain and suffering is the impetus to keep going.

I'm working on a "plan of action" today.

I am a member of My food Diary :: Online Calorie Counter w/ Diet Journal & Exercise Log and used it as a food journal during the few days that I could eat food while being banded.

I'm sticking with that as it also has exercise/activities (loads of them listed, even horseback riding in detail, which is what I do) and calorie burn.

Good luck everyone! And thank you so much for your kind words. This is a great place full of wonderful people.

I'm SO glad you're feeling better. Lap band isn't right for everyone. I wish you the very best of luck in your weight loss journey. I pray that you heal quickly so that you can begin taking the next steps, whatever they are, to getting healthier.

I'm sad that you had to go through all of this and I'm glad your surgery went well to remove it. I wish you all the best on your journey hun. I hope you'll check in with us and let us know how you are getting along..

Oh my...I am so very sorry that you went through all that....I am glad you came through your surgery feeling better today...Best of Luck and stay with your on-line support...life has a lesson everyday...HUG!!!!

Hi there. I just wanted to share my story since I will also be losing my band here shortly. I was banded 12-28-08. I have had NOTHING but problems since. My recovery was horrible, I had terrible pain, much worse than what everyone else seems to have. I thought fine, maybe I am just a wimp. I finally start feeling somewhat "normal" about 3 weeks later. I still have what I am told is post surgery swelling and can hardly eat anything but Soup and runny mashed potatoes without vomiting. I am told this is normal and so I continue on... I keep going at this phase and when I call the dr office they say this is normal, but lets wait on a fill. So finally I go in to see the doctor even though I am not wanting a fill, and they finally start listening to me. They then decide this may not be normal and send me for a GI series ( Barium Swallow on the tilt table, etc ). This is inconclusive in the doctors opinion so they send me to a GI dr for an Endoscopy ( who incidentally has gone through two bands himself, had similar problems to me and then converted to r-n-y). So he finds in the endoscopy that I have scar tissue that has built up (not a normal amount, an excessive amount) and tells me that my band needs to come out. I see the surgeon today, and he still doesnt think anything is really wrong, but he will go ahead and remove because its what I want. I just dont get it, how can doctors be like this?! It is so frustrating!:huh2:

I am so sorry for what you have gone through. I hope the removal goes well and you find something else that works well for you. The thing I am finding the most frustrating are all the extra side effects that my surgeon never told me about - the intense shoulder pain still going 6 months later, PBing, sliming, the intense discomfort as most foods go down - just told that food may get a little caught sometimes so you must chew alot - (let me tell you my jaws ache from bloody chewing sometimes.) I was under the impression that I would feel full - I rarely feel full, just stop eating because eating most things is too much effort and too uncomfortable- unless they are really "wet" dishes - Pasta etc.(I've only had one 3ml fill) I also hate that part because when you are still hungry - I automatically want to reach for the things that are easiest to eat - chocolate, icecream etc I am stopping myself but I really feel like I am doing it without the band. Anyway, I am seriously considering getting it taken out. My surgeon is no help - I emailed him last week asking about the shoulder pain and still haven't heard back a week later. Unfortunately he is one of only two surgeons in my state (Tasmania - Australia) so not many options open to me. Has anyone else in Australia had their band removed - I am interested to know what it cost - I am in full private cover but the original surgery was still just over three thousand out of pocket. Anyone Airiaka you are not the only one with problems with your band - as you can probably tell by many of the postings, some of us are not lucky enough to love our bands the way many seem to- but I wish you well and hope the removal goes smoothly. Keep us posted.

I just had my band removed yesterday after 6 years. I never had to have a fill b/c it was so tight from day one. Over the years it's gotten worse. I've had more Upper GI's, cat scans and endoscopes than I can count and they all said that the band was perfectly placed. Yesterday in pre op my doctor said that my case was highly unusual. I was shocked to hear that I should have felt no restriction at all with no fill. I didn't realize it was so unusual. Then when he removed the band he checked on the restriction and it was still there. Basically he ended up removing a lot of scar tissue in the area where the band had been. He thinks I will notice a big difference when I start to eat solid food again (still on liquid diet) but that it will take 6 months to go back to normal. I'm praying for normal. I would love to eat broccoli and a chicken breast after six years of Soup, popcorn and yogurt (anything mushy)

Sorry you went through all that...Did you loose weight though? Is popcorn easy to eat? I figured it would be off my list for good???

ByeBye - you totally win the award for "she who gave it her best shot" - I am amazed! Please stay with us and tell us your post-experiences. I don't want this thing forever but I'm afraid I'd balloon up again. I was NEVER able to do it on my own.

Hi there byebyebandinva-

I just had by band removed as well! I had it out on April 30. I am so thankful this thing is out of me. If you read my earlier post I have had terrible problems very similar to yours, not nearly as long as you, but I certainly understand where you are coming from. The worst part for me right now is the left shoulder pain from gas. My recovery is 100 times better than it was when the band went in. I truly think it has something to do with my surgeon though, I feel that the facility I went through to get the band only cares about one thing, getting your money. I found a different doctor to remove it and am so thankful he agreed to remove it for me. Well I hope everything goes well with your recovery and you are feeling better soon!

What does pb stand for?

For those of you who have had your bands out - I am so jealous of you. I actually posted this reply on a poll about bands but I am one of those who have had port problems rather than erosion or slippage. I am only 6 months in but at my first fill the port had flipped and had to have surgery to repair it. Then had a fill but two months later have had the fill removed because almost everything I ate got stuck - if only I had known then - I never would have had this band. I still have shocking left shoulder pain - and to top it off my surgeon is the biggest arse that ever lived. In most places in Australia - the lap band is done properly - councelling before - help after etc - unfortunately in my state - this guy is one of two surgeons that perform the surgery - I had a 10 minute consult almost a year before getting the surgery done (had to wait to give birth to my second child) and that was it. When discussing my problems with him - he is so dismissive - "fine - we'll take the fill out - you go off and finish your breastfeeding and do your little family thing and then if you decide you want the band to work for you then come back, but you'll put all the weight you've lost (15 kgs only in 6 months - 33 pounds) back on". He has no answers for the shoulder pain as he says he has only had one other patient with it and that my eosophogas (spelling??) must be spasming but doesn't know why - hopefully the unfill will fix it - no reasons why I was in pain with everything I ate (other than junk food - chocolate, ice cream etc all my problem foods) just said obviously there is some issue but doesn't know what. Was so critical of other weight loss options like Jenny Craig and WW and how bad they were for people because you lost Protein, muscle etc -- I ate so much better on both of those diets than I have EVER BEEN ABLE TO WITH THIS ###**** thing in my stomach. No they didn't work long term for me because I wasn't able to stick to them but with this band in - my breast milk was affected - my son's weight dropped from the 97 percentile down to under the 50th (according to him - it would be no problem at all - still refuses to accept that the lap band caused this), I have been miserable and in pain when eating good food and the only things I am able to get down are the things that I shouldn't be eating. I agree with whoever said that the band is a disaster for junk food eaters. I have never been an overeater - but I love my sweets etc I was having to sit at the table for up to an hour and a half, waiting for food to pass through so I could take another mouthful because I knew I needed the sustenance for my milk. Since the unfill, things have been better but I still find things get stuck and I spend time over the sink regurgitating saliva etc. As my weight has never affected my health (I am still able to play top level basketball) and has really only been out of control since my children were born, I am so angry at myself that I let this be done to me. I am giving it a few more month with no fill to improve - then I am having it out - and I tell you now - I CAN"T WAIT. I am also now so determined to lose weight before going back to him - because the skinny little weasle thinks that the lap band is the ONLY way that anyone with obesity issues can lose weight. WE WILL SEE!!!!!!! Also found it very interesting that he has performed 1800 lap band surgerys - working out the cost with just the out of pocket expense for the patients without the Medicare and health insurance rebates that he gets - over 5 and half million dollars - a money making experience for him - I THINK SO!!!!!!!! Sorry to rave and rant on but as you can probably understand - I HAVE HAD ENOUGH!!!! For those of you with it out - I will hopefully be joining you soon.