Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This thread is going to be sooo inappropriate!

where are they rating their farts?

Actually, that sounds like fun! :frown:

There are some DSers on a WLS board I frequent that has all surgery types and I don't think it has anything to do with wanting to eat crap. A lot of them don't eat a lot of carbs just like with other WLS patients. I think it comes down to them feeling like somehow their surgery is *guaranteed* to work. That seems to be the attitude I get ... many have said to me: "I knew I couldn't do with without major malabsorption" or "My surgeon calls DS the bazooka of WLS and I *need* a bazooka." or "I have Type 2 Diabetes and the DS has the highest resolution rate". The problem is, as I said before, these stats are misleading because right now this is a niche surgery so it's mostly gotten by the truly dedicated. If it ever got as popular as RnY or Lap Band, I don't think the stats would be as impressive.

Plus, I am firmly convinced that part of why the DS works so well is because of the partial gastrectomy -- i.e., the sleeve portion. Take away the fundus and you take away ghrelin which takes away the hunger. I think for all but a percentage of the extremely overweight (i.e., super morbidly obese), the sleeve is enough and malabsorption is overkill -- it increases the risk of complications without providing significant additional benefit.

Why, why, WHY do I keep falling for y'all's doggone DS links? Must...step...away.

Anyway, from that post:

Total loss to date: 32 lbs I heart.gif My DS! If you don't have anything nice to say, come sit next to me!

OMG DISGUSTING! (Tho I can think of one co-worker I could sic her on!)

And can someone please explain to me why James G doesn't have on a shirt? Mr. "DS is the PLATINUM STANDARD OF WLS" is gross - why would we want to see him shirtless? GAK

You know you were reading my mind. However in the interest of all that is holy I couldn’t bring myself to comment on that.

You’re a brave one.

Actually, that sounds like fun! :blush:

There are some DSers on a WLS board I frequent that has all surgery types and I don't think it has anything to do with wanting to eat crap. A lot of them don't eat a lot of carbs just like with other WLS patients. I think it comes down to them feeling like somehow their surgery is *guaranteed* to work. That seems to be the attitude I get ... many have said to me: "I knew I couldn't do with without major malabsorption" or "My surgeon calls DS the bazooka of WLS and I *need* a bazooka." or "I have Type 2 Diabetes and the DS has the highest resolution rate". The problem is, as I said before, these stats are misleading because right now this is a niche surgery so it's mostly gotten by the truly dedicated. If it ever got as popular as RnY or Lap Band, I don't think the stats would be as impressive.

Plus, I am firmly convinced that part of why the DS works so well is because of the partial gastrectomy -- i.e., the sleeve portion. Take away the fundus and you take away ghrelin which takes away the hunger. I think for all but a percentage of the extremely overweight (i.e., super morbidly obese), the sleeve is enough and malabsorption is overkill -- it increases the risk of complications without providing significant additional benefit.

Thing is.. after their own honeymoon phase they are back to doing the same thing as everyone else, watching their diet, cutting back on carbs, and exercising. They have people that are not losing, people that are gaining, etc. They are no different from any other WLS type except that they stink.

Mac-

I'm of the opinion that whatever WLS one chooses is their choice and that we should be supportive of each other. However, being ugly about the choices others' have made is wrong. The DSers that say only their surgery is "the one" are tacky. What do they care what surgery someone else has/had??? My friend had GP but is totally supportive of me getting the band.

I personally don't want to keep a bedpan in my car but hey, that's just me. PLUS I really need my job so I don't want to get fired for sewering up the joint! :cool2:

But what do I know....

So everyone's poop stinks, huh? To me this is like a guy with really bad BO saying "but everyone stinks". Yes, we all stink if we don't wash ourselves, and some people stink if they don't use deodorant, but that doesn't mean the guy hasn't got really bad BO. All stinks aren't equal.

What really gets me are the "our surgery is the best" and "our surgery has the best weight loss" and "our surgery has the best resolution of diabetes". First of all, statistics are not predicative for the individual. So even if a WLS has an average EWL of 90% at two years, that won't stop you from being one of the ones who never meets goal or, alternatively, getting to 100%.

Secondly, these are of necessity very small studies (since the surgery isn't as popular as RnY). When you have small groups, it's very possible that some other factor is skewing the results. The more studies that are done and the more people that are in them, the more likely that you'll not get those kinds of results. For example, there are studies showing lap band patients having 70% EWL at 2 years. This is the same as the DS stats I've seen. But there are also stats that show only 42% EWL. If enough people get the DS, they'll have studies like that too. It's bound to happen that one group that gets studied doesn't have the greatest results.

From what I can tell, not only is one surgery not right for everyone, but all surgeries in the really long term (at least a decade) trend towards 50% EWL. That, combined with what I see on the boards, says to me that some people are very successful, get to goal and stay there, some are not very successful and don't lose much or lose but then gain it back, and a lot are in between. Over time it tends to even out.

Statisticians even have a name for this phenomena. It's called regression towards the mean.

But when someone tries to convince me that I should get a DS, if they quote stats at me to say the DS is the "the best", I send them a link to a study I've found that shows that the sleeve is the best surgery for women over 50 (a group to which I belong). :cool2:

Mac, I know I'm kinda picky about this, but have you noticed that the "studies" they often cite rarely have the specs stated? The alpha, power, 95% CI, etc. Whenever I read a so-called "peer-reviewed study" I like to know the details, so I can judge for myself how impartial it may be.

A bedpan in his car? Really? I wounder how many people I see in traffic every day are really sitting (and sh*tting) on bedpans while driving? Makes ya wonder.

And I'm just gonna throw this out there.....before I had a WLS that required me to buy a minivan (and customize the back to have my own mobile bathroom), I'd opt for the other weight loss program: The Hemingway Solution.

Mac, I know I'm kinda picky about this, but have you noticed that the "studies" they often cite rarely have the specs stated? The alpha, power, 95% CI, etc. Whenever I read a so-called "peer-reviewed study" I like to know the details, so I can judge for myself how impartial it may be.

Well, excuse you, Mr. Stats! I remember (100 years ago) in a poli sci the teacher stating that you should also look at the + or - percents. Anything over +/- 3% isn't a valid poll or study.

Interestingly enough, I just saw a study that concluded that I was the coolest and handsomest dood that sneaks into "the powder room"*

*study done by the plain institute. Average number of respondants - 1.

Interestingly enough, I just saw a study that concluded that I was the coolest and handsomest dood that sneaks into "the powder room"*

*study done by the plain institute. Average number of respondants - 1.

And/or the ONLY man that snuck sneakily into the powder room.

Hey! Don't be casting aspersions on my study!!!

And don't you talk about my ass! har har har

And don't you talk about my ass! har har har

I'm not at all fooled by the halo in your avitar, sick!!

I'm not at all fooled by the halo in your avatar, sick!!

That's b/c we're 2 peas in a pod, Plain-o!

You know you were reading my mind. However in the interest of all that is holy I couldn’t bring myself to comment on that.

You’re a brave one.

Brave, really?!? I just see it as stating a truth! I keep saying that I'm getting surgery to get laid again but that DS cretin might just scare me off men! Best I can remember, I really like men. haha

Why will nobody answer my question in the powder room?