Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgeons in Montreal

Hi,

Sorry for the cross posting but I just realized that there is a section specific Canada, so I'm reposting hoping someone in here can help me with the decision.

I'm planning on getting banded and I decided to go for the private route. After doing the research it seems it's between the following people:

1- Dr. Pierre Leclerc at Westmount Square Surgical Center.

2- Dr. Pierre-Yves Garneau at Rockland MD.

3- Dr. Steven Miller at SPA Diva Medical.

There is also Dr. Nicholas Christou who seems to be really good. But he's charging close to $18000 while the three others are all around $16000.

Any positive/negative experience with any of the above docs? Sharing your experience with me is greatly appreciate as it will help me tremendously in choosing my surgeon.

Thanks!

Hi Sunflower, Can you please share your experience with me. I had a meeting with Dr. Miller yesterday at Spa Diva and I needed as much info as possible from others who went to the same doctor

Hi OttawaMan,

I went with Dr Christou after all. Actually I didn't meet any of the surgeons I posted above.

I'm very happy with my lapband, but disappointed with the service I received from my doctor. The operation went very well and no complications. But I was expecting follow ups from the clinic, something that never happened. I had my operation on June 25th, 2008 and since then I had been in the clinic only once for my fill. They never called to check on me either. I'm pretty much doing it on my own with the help of my awesome lapband of course :)

thanks for your reply. I am really very confused. Did you have any complications or regrets ?? I see you've lost about 45 Ibs; congratulations :). I am weighing my options and considering whether to do, and if I'll do it, will it be with Dr. Miller in Montreal or Dr. Coburn in Toronto. I read some really good reviews about Dr. Coburn, but I'm not decided yet. Any advice would be really appreciated.

Hi OttawaMan,

I went with Dr Christou after all. Actually I didn't meet any of the surgeons I posted above.

I'm very happy with my lapband, but disappointed with the service I received from my doctor. The operation went very well and no complications. But I was expecting follow ups from the clinic, something that never happened. I had my operation on June 25th, 2008 and since then I had been in the clinic only once for my fill. They never called to check on me either. I'm pretty much doing it on my own with the help of my awesome lapband of course :wink2:

hey sunflower

congrats with ur weightloss. i m also interested to do the lapband and booked appointment with dr miller. i have also applied for the appoinment with christou. But after reading ur post i was a bit confused with dr christou. if u don't mind can i ask u if u hav gone with the private or public system.

thanks for your reply. I am really very confused. Did you have any complications or regrets ?? I see you've lost about 45 Ibs; congratulations :thumbup:. I am weighing my options and considering whether to do, and if I'll do it, will it be with Dr. Miller in Montreal or Dr. Coburn in Toronto. I read some really good reviews about Dr. Coburn, but I'm not decided yet. Any advice would be really appreciated.

Hi Ottawa,

Dr. Miller is really nice. He's out of our Local Hosp. here in Drummondville. I am being banded in July but I am not going with any Dr.s from Canada. Being that I am self pay I found a Dr. that I like at a much lower cost to me. But Dr. Miller will be doing all of my after care and fills. He has a clinic in Montreal too called Spa Diva Medical. I hope this helps and please let me know what you decide. I'm always curious to see what others have done and how they are doing!:confused:

Hi,

I just had a Consultation with Dr Miller of Spa Diva Medical in Montreal. Since I have gotten a lot of usefull information from this forum, I thought I would give some back.

I live in Ottawa, I found Spa Diva through the Internet and found out that Dr Miller was an old Colleague of a Surgeon friend of mine here in Ottawa - He came highly recommended by this friend as well as my Family Dr.

I am 30yrs old, with Hypertension, Depression and lately some serious low back pain, as well as all the other pains that come with being 376lbs

Spa Diva is a really nice facility, very posh if you like that kinda thing. I do. Another plus is that it is surrounded by great shopping so your Wife or Husband can keep themselves busy during your surgery. :unsure:

The staff is very friendly and proffessional.

Dr Miller is a typical Surgeon, he is very direct and no nonsense. He did a thorough investigation of my medical history, explained the benefits of the Lap-Band® and discussed how I was a good candidate. I decided to go ahead with the Surg and booked for the 3rd of Dec. (i had decided pretty much before I got there)

I then met with the Nutritionist - very bright and informative. This is where you get most of the answers to questions you may have about what to excpect and what to eat, etc.....

The surgery cost's $16,000 - I am sure they have some type of financing if this is needed.

Pre-Op diet is X6 Boost (diabetic formula) shakes a day and one cup of vegetables. last's 14 days.

Like a lot of other people I am going to post how it went, and what happens after. If anyone has any info about Dr Miller or Spa Diva they would like to share - that would be great.

I myself am getting banded on the January 8th, by Pierre Jete at Pierre-Boucher on the south shore.

He performed my mother's lap-band surgery and it went very well. He also does great follow ups.

Best of all, it's 100% free. Covered by public insurance.

I'm on something called Meditrim for 3 weeks (I have been for a little over 2 weeks now) - it's Protein shakes, 3 to 4 times a day. The hospital is strictly saying that nothing else must be eaten. It's a bit drastic if you ask me, but hey.

Hi Sunflower,

I will be banded on January 12th by Dr. Pierre-Yves Garneau at Rockland MD.

The price is $17000, and the process was very fast!

I met the surgeon on Dec 7th, had my blood tests on the 10th and was given a surgery date.

Dr Garneau seems nice enough.

There is a nurse, Lula, who looks after all the bariatric patients. She's great, and always available for questions.

I just found out last week that Rockland is switching from the Lap Band to the Realize Band...don't know if that is better.

Jenn :thumbup:

I had my surgery with Dr. Miller. I felt I was in good hands. I got a good vibe from him, so I didn't call or consult with any other doctor or centre. It was 16,000.00...... highway robbery, but I that appears to be the going rate. I did get a free Spa Diva robe though! hahahhaaaaa!

The process was also very quick. Had my surgery one month after initial consult.

I'll be seeing him for my first fill in mid January and then seeing something local for further fills.

Hello Montrealers

So good to finaly find people in this town who are banded.

I did my surgery in October , love my doc but would love more support from people who did the same .. who understand where I am coming from.

I also had my surgery with D Miller , i did quite a bit of research but he gave me the best support.

Hmm no robe for me :-S

I had my surgery with Dr. Miller. I felt I was in good hands. I got a good vibe from him, so I didn't call or consult with any other doctor or centre. It was 16,000.00...... highway robbery, but I that appears to be the going rate. I did get a free Spa Diva robe though! hahahhaaaaa!

The process was also very quick. Had my surgery one month after initial consult.

I'll be seeing him for my first fill in mid January and then seeing something local for further fills.

Hello Montrealers

So good to finaly find people in this town who are banded.

I did my surgery in October , love my doc but would love more support from people who did the same .. who understand where I am coming from.

I also had my surgery with D Miller , i did quite a bit of research but he gave me the best support.

Hmm no robe for me :-S

Hi OttawaMan,

I'm very happy with my lapband, but disappointed with the service I received from my doctor. The operation went very well and no complications. But I was expecting follow ups from the clinic, something that never happened. I had my operation on June 25th, 2008 and since then I had been in the clinic only once for my fill. They never called to check on me either. I'm pretty much doing it on my own with the help of my awesome lapband of course :)

Hi Ottawaman

I too had my band on April 17th 2007 with Dr. Christou it went fine I had a hard time after surgery for a few weeks I was not so mobile as I expected. That is o.k. everyone reacts diferently. I was happy with him, I only lost 40 pounds.

But it is true that you are on your own. He is very hard to see. I have even given him referals from Family Doctors and he has no time to respond. ............it is a tool with out any knowledge. Kiffisia