Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Proper restriction = shock collar

Hi everyone!!

I finally think i have a good fill. I got my second fill on Thursday and immediately noticed the difference. I think the best way to describe it is a shock collar for the chronic little piggy that lives in my brain. Once I've had enough I get a slight tinge (kind of the beginning of heartburn) if I have just even one more bite BAM lots of pain. This is a good thing no doubt. I just have a couple of questions for you more experienced bandsters...

1- I have only been able to get down a couple of bites of non-mushy food, is this how its is now or is this just because its a new fill.

2- Whats a typical day like for you with good restriction, what do you eat? Drink? Exercise? I know there are similar threads, but I don't think with a combination of all things..

Thanks so much for your insight. I am very encouraged at your stories and of finally being able to see the scale go in the right direction....:biggrin:

I just got fill number 2 today as well (2cc in a 10cc band, total of 5cc now) and I couldn't have described the feeling any better! Shock collar is so true!:blushing:

I drank a few TINY sips and the docs office before I left, decided I was good to go and left. As soon as I got in my car I started to slime and PB off the WATER!:smile:

I'm going to see how I feel in 4 days when I am back on normal food again. If I can't get anything down back to the doc for me! :wink2:

Part of me wants to be over-restricted. I know, I know, stupid! :wink2:

I can identify with the wanting to be over restricted. I KNOW I am currently over restricted. My fills always take two days to kick in. I should have known I was going to have a problem when I got into the office that morning and could only finish 1/2 a cup of coffee. Four days later, I can still only get 1/2 a very small cup of coffee down. food is out of the question. I think I hurt myself the second day when I ate my morning runny oatmeal. I can't drink my Slim-Fast Optima drinks. I can drink the Zero Carb Isopure Protein powder in Water and that gives me 50 grams of Protein in one 12 oz glass. I can only drink 6 oz at a time and it takes me about 1 1/2 hours to get that down. I hope to jump my 1 pound a week loss rate a little. My fill before this one was great and lasted one month but I could eat a little then. If I can't get this one to open a little, I guess I'll have to go in. I'm still walking my mile a day. I've no energy to do the two miles.

Take care

Sarah, i had nearly the same experience after my 2nd fill on the 12th. I was fine with Water, but found myself unable to eat even soft food (as i was told to do later that night). Thinking i was just swollen i gave myself a few days, and then finally broke down on friday unable to eat a thing and got myself slightly unfilled (just 1cc) this past monday. WHEW! what a difference that little bit made! The NICE part of that week i spent starving and weak was that i lost nearly 9lbs! hahahaha NOT RECCOMENDED says the fill nurse....and i certainly wouldn't want to be over-restricted again, but i'll take those pounds off anyway i can get them! :embaressed_smile:

Good luck! and don't wait too long if you can't eat after a day. That's no longer swelling but being too tight.

Being over filled is no good. I lost 13 lbs when I was over filled. It's very tempting to stay that way when the lbs are just melting off. It's exactly what causes complications down the road though.

I can answer your questions. On a typical day, I eat solid Protein which keeps me full for about 4 hours. I can eat a chicken leg and thigh for dinner. Sometimes that's too much and I can't finish it. I don't measure my meats by the cup. I use my hand for a measure. I had a steak the other day that was about the size of my palm. I ordered a 6 oz steak and ate half, so I ate 3 oz of meat. and a couple pcs of broccoli. ( just the tops)

I almost always have a Protein Drink for Breakfast and about a hand full of

Fiber one Cereal. Gotta get that Fiber in!

I drink 64 oz of Water min. per day. I warm it in the microwave, or if I am eating out I always ask for Water with no ice. My dr. lets us drink right up until eating, but not for one hour after. Cold water makes my band hurt my stomach.

I exercise 6 days a week at a gym . I use weight machines, work out with a trainer twice a week, and do cardio every time I go to the gym.

I hope your fill loosens so you can eat normally. Feel free to ask questions.

Guys I'm getting my first fill on Friday April 4th then flying to Alaska on Sunday April 6th. Am I pushing it too close? Will I know if I'm too tight by Saturday evening? The fill will be done with flouro if that makes a difference.

1- I have only been able to get down a couple of bites of non-mushy food, is this how its is now or is this just because its a new fill.

With my second fill I went for about a week, maybe 10 days where my limit was 3 bites...but it did relax. It did not go away, I am still working with that second fill 18 months later!

2- Whats a typical day like for you with good restriction, what do you eat? Drink? Exercise? I know there are similar threads, but I don't think with a combination of all things..

I have what I consider WONDERFUL restriction, it is not really like a shock collar for me---when I get to the point of hurting, it is toooooo late! The reason I feel so good about my restriction is that is seems to be working more on my hunger than on being tight. I am not starving all the time, so, I don't care to eat much. When I do eat, my portion size is still extremely reduced compared to what I used to eat. It is also a lot more than what many on the site eat. But I feel like what I can do now is get proper nutrition. I can eat enough to feel like my Vitamins and mineral needs are being met---my blood work up and overall health is great, and soooo much improved!

I eat pretty much everything. I eat much less of it. And I eat it in different ways than I used to. I concentrate on nutrition in my meals a big majority of the time--I mean I still have things that are not always good for me---but not as often anymore. Where before a large part of my big plate would hold starchy foods, now they are only a bite or 2 max---it mainly consists of Protein, and veggies.

But since I DO pay attention most of the time, then when I go out, or have something I really want---I eat it. I do not have problems with food, because as I say I am NOT tightly restricted. I can eat bread, just very little, and very slow....same with Pasta or rice---it is not a food that makes me comfy eating it anymore. Where it used to be THE comfort food---now it causes discomfort enough, I just don't care for it often.

Drinks---I drink mostly iced tea---decaf, because my DH cannot have caffeine. But juices, Water, chocolate milk, occasional shake--protein or not. Since banding I have had the occasional Diet Dr. Pepper....but I could probably count them on my fingers. I have had alcoholic drinks---no beer, just have not been brave enough to try---it isn't a biggie to me! I have not found anything I cannot drink. If I do not drink enough water/tea---my weight loss stalls. It is something I push--to keep above 64 ounces a day.

Exercise---not as much as I should---or will when summer gets here again! I joined Curves---when I was about 6 months out. I also lift light free weights with DH---and when the weather is nice I walk---and play with my grandkids....I mean play---run, swing, go down the slide....fun stuff!

This winter I had to have thyroid surgery, and have slacked in my exercise--but Spring is comin' and I have Spring fever to be outside doing something!!!

As for being overfilled. My SIL who is banded, stayed so overfilled she could not get in even enough Water and ended up with permanent kidney damage caused by continued dehydration, and she was drinking, but not enough, and not eating. Overfilling can be very dangerous....I would not suggest it for anyone, for any length of time at all. I would prefer it to take a little longer and my band last me....it is my understanding that being too tight is linked to slippage, as well as erosion.

Leather---I personally would not worry too much with a first fill, if the Dr. is not super aggressive with fills. If it was not the first I would highly suggest waiting til after the trip---it might still be something to consider. Have you ever been air sick? If so---do NOT get the fill. If it will be close to your TOM, do NOT get the fill.

It is not unusual for fills to kick in several days after receiving them---and to be so remote with no pre selected medical help available---I would be very cautious. Fluoro shows how the fill is reacting at that time, it does not help with swelling caused by the fill which is usually the few days following the fill.

How long will you be gone? And can you get in to get your fill soon after returning? Are you dealing with serious Bandster Hell?

I am of the mind----better safe than sorry......

Kat

I dont have to worry about time of month cause I'm a guy. :shades_smile:

I dot ever get air sick. Heres the thing, I will be in Alaska till summer, so I really need to get it done. I guess I will just keep my fingers crossed.

Then my best suggestion for getting the fill and leaving, would be to explain to your Dr. when you go for the fill what is going on, and maybe he could recommend or refer you to someone there should a need arise. I mean for that matter you could be moving there, and need a Dr. permanently......

And sorry about the TOM thing-----I just had no way to know--y'alls posts don't have a pop up tallywhacker anywhere in sight!! No offence intended!!!

Since you don't get airsick, and it will be a first fill--I would seriously imagine it would be simple and routine, it usually takes more than a first fill to acheive a lot of restriction, but I still believe asking for a Dr. recommendation might be a good plan. You might find yourself ready for a fill while you are there.

Enjoy your trip! And good luck with the fill!

Kat

And sorry about the TOM thing-----I just had no way to know--y'alls posts don't have a pop up tallywhacker anywhere in sight!!

lol. Maybe the guys on this site should have little tallywhackers that pop up when we post, that way the gals will know. On second thought, I don't want a little one... :shades_smile:

Edited by Leather

Ignore my prior post and thinking I might WANT to be over-restricted! After a night of misery, not even being able to keep Water down I broke down and called my doc. He immediately had me come in the get 1/2 CC out. I think I am PERFECT now! I have awesome restriction, but I'm able to get fluids down with ease. :shades_smile::lol::success1:

Leather, I flew after my second fill in February. I was fine on the plane. Had Decaf tea, and a South Beach Protein bar that I dipped in the tea to soften it up. I was gone only 12 days though, and had my third fill yesterday.

With you being banded only over 8 weeks when you get that fill, I would also see if there is a doc in Alaska in the event you need a fill because I think it takes a few fills to get the sweet spot and if you aren't filled enough it might cause you some eating problems.

I am still on liquids after my 3rd fill, and I am feeling that tightness after sipping Propel. I am kind of afraid to move onto to mushies tomorrow.

Good deal. Being overfilled is dangerous. Glad you are perfect now. Nothing better in the world than perfect restriction!