Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I find that the last couple weeks I have been losing quite a bit of hair, and I am starting to worry. I just started B-12 sublingual. Does anyone know if this may have caused it or if the multi-vitamins may be doing it. I go for my second fill Monday, march 17 and I plan on asking the doc , but I would like to hear from some of you also. Please help.

I THINK loss of hair is tied to lack of Protein .. . and sometimes to results of anesthesia . . . the B12 wouldn't have anything to do with Hair loss as far as I know. There are other posts that have discussed it . . . but I don't remember where . . . we have one girl in our support group that wears wigs . . . because she didn't do all the protein she needed to do after surgery and literally lost 90% of her hair. It's coming back, but she still is wearing the wigs for the time being.

I take the B-12 to help me FROM losing hair. and to help with energy. So I dont think it is that I do think it is just part of the surgery process. When your body goes thru stress it does these things.

Let's see... your surgery was at the end of December, and that puts you right around the "average" 3 month period when people begin to lose hair. Don't worry - except for extreme, extreme cases it's nothing your doing, nor is there really anything you can do for it other than wait for the cycle (all hair is on a 3-part cycle) to pass.

Surgery, anesthesia, body trauma, etc. (we've had all 3 with our bands) causes hairloss. Think of it as a reaction to the shock. There isn't a magical cure other than patience... no shampoos you can slather on or supplements you can swallow like candy... other than as a few have found, short haircuts (in dire circumstances - helps hide the thinning and makes for a lot less visual shock).

Most people lose hair to varying degrees for... been a while since I ran the numbers but I'm going to say about 6 weeks. When I had my band I lost hair for about 3 months, but only had about 3 weeks of heavy loss. When I had my gallbladder removed (after band surgery) I lost hair for about the same time. Now I can tell that I have hair shifted into the growing cycle because I have 1" hairs sticking out. :thumbup:

It's not lack of Protein because I get about 90 gms a day.

And my hair is falling out like you wouldnt believe. I had thick hair to begin with...a lot of it, and every day I comb my hair, theres a huge ball.

I take my Vitamins, supplements..ect...

I firmly believe its because of rapid weight loss. Your body goes into shock and I think its when your weight starts evening out, it slows down.

Of course this is all that ive heard, and have yet to seen the "Slow down" aspect of it all.

Im thinking that its nice headbands are back in style, because wearing one is a good way of masking the scalp. :lol:

Go to the very top of the board above everything else where it says search. You can do a thread search and read all sorts of posts on this subject.

This topic comes up very often and we have all pretty much decided there is nothing you can do or take to stop it from happening.

I'm so glad I came onto the site to look into this. I thought I was doing something wrong :)

This hair loss thing is NOT fun but I'd rather deal with this than the crap I would have to deal with if I was still 340lbs.

Good thing I crochet too :lol: Time to become a hat wearer!

Mine is stopping. It took long enough, but it's nice now to take a shower and lose a little bit of hair, just like I did pre-banding. I am not losing

4 handfuls anymore. YAY!

My doctor told me all of those things, but also that body fat retains (makes?) estrogen. SO, when you lose estrogen, you often lose hair until your sex organs regain some of their estrogen making properties. Thus the hair loss... that, combined with lowered Protein intakes can make us have a thinner hair line, but it will right itself. My hair is very fine strands, but I have a lot of hair. It's been falling out badly lately, but... my doctor also said that 3-4 months out is when it would happen.

My loss stopped about a month after I stopped losing weight. I get 80+ grams of Protein a day, take supplements galore, Biotin, etc. Does not make an iota of difference. It's gonna fall out if it decides it wants to. It will stop when it wants to.

I really agree Faith. I am really losing weight slowly since I have gotten close to goal. I think I have lost 5 lbs since Feb. I will go a few weeks where I feel like it's stopping, and then all of a sudden, I will lose another 4 handfuls when I shower. It's like it's coming and going. Plus, I have an estrogen patch.

I know my hair loss has slowed way down, but it's not gone completely. I do have little hairs growing in all over the place too though. All together, I have lost about half of my hair. I have a very thin pony tail now compared to when I could hardly get a hair band around my pony tail.

Mine is stopping. It took long enough, but it's nice now to take a shower and lose a little bit of hair, just like I did pre-banding. I am not losing

4 handfuls anymore. YAY!

Hey Denise...You are my inspiration...:) Im praying mine will stop soon, too. Did you do anything different? whats the secret? :tt1:

I find that the last couple weeks I have been losing quite a bit of hair, and I am starting to worry. I just started B-12 sublingual. Does anyone know if this may have caused it or if the multi-Vitamins may be doing it. I go for my second fill Monday, march 17 and I plan on asking the doc , but I would like to hear from some of you also. Please help.

That's a Protein definiciency hun!

I spoke with my dietician just the other day, she said to be wary of Hair loss, as it is a symptom of preotein definiciency.

I know I was getting plenty of Protein. That's something I have always been very careful about. Dr. Watkins who used to post on Lap Band Talk, said it's from rapid weight loss. I lost 22 lbs the first month and 13 lbs during the 9th month.

I did everything everyone told me to do. Make sure I was getting enough Protein, took Biotin and good Vitamins, etc. I think it just stops when it decides to. You can do a search on hair loss and see what everyone else has tried. Everyone pretty much decides that it stops

when it wants to.