Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

News & vent

No bday gift!

But he sure as shit better give me something for mother's day. :biggrin:

Wheetsin, if you want to see the Dr. before your scheduled visit----walk in. They won't turn you away. I know here, the Dr.'s my DD worked for couldn't--if they turned you away, and something happened to you, they could be held responsible.

If it concerns you (and it would me--I am in no way saying you are overreacting, I would be a basket case) walk in and tell them you are pregnant and bleeding, and need to see a Dr.

Forgive my sloppy typing---my fingers are still crossed for you!

Kat

wheetsin,

i agree with Kat (but im high risk miscarriage anyway and any bleeding freaks me out)...

i say go in and tell them you want at least an HCG test.

good luck

The doctor was definitely an offensive idiot. Once he started talking to your belly you should have started talking to his arsehole. Good luck on the pregnancy thing, eh.

I talked to my family doc today. She was happy to do the bloodwork. And she sent it for STAT processing, and was going to call me or have the Dr. on call phone as soon as they got results. I know what my number was at the ER, so this will give a good indicator.

I'm still having the old bleeding, but she looked closely at all my reports from the ER and said everything else was excellent -- perfect hemaglobin, betas, etc. She said it's a really good sign that there was a heartbeat after the bleeding started, and that there's still not been any bright/new blood. I'm kinda out of my element here but she sounded like she knew what she was talking about. Keeping my fingers crossed, the world needs another heathen!

Oh, and family Dr. also told me to insist on a follow-up ultrasound from the OB Wed, and said to call her if they won't do it and she'd order one through the hospital (she had a few miscarriages, and is close to my age... I think her overall empathy level is a bit higher). I called them to see if this had already been scheduled and they were like "We don't know, it depends on whether or not the Dr. thinks it's needed. One might, and the other might not."

So I told them to make sure I saw the Dr. who was most likely to think it might. :thumbup:

Ideally the news would wait a while, but I need to vent and can't do one without the other. So my news - I'm knocked up. Despite my irreverence, DH & I are actually quite pleased. So here's my vent.

I have a PPO so no PCP, but I do have a doctor that I think of as my family doctor. She has her issues, but overall she's great. Of course she's on vacation, and I didn't want to wait for the preggo confirmation, so I booked with the doctor in the clinic that had the soonest availability. Some guy I'd never seen before.

We go in there and he won't look me (or DH) in the eye. You know the type, where their conversation is between them and your shoulder, or elbow, or knee, or whatever. So I'm already bugged. That's one of my pet peeves and it makes me terribly paranoid that I've ripped a piece of clothing or spilled something or have a boogey hanging out or something.

The doc asks me if I've had a home pregnancy positive and I told him yes, several (we were stunned with the timing of it and hard a hard time beliving it, to say the least). So he asks, "Then why are you here?" Umm - to start the process? To get answers to my questions, and because I mentioned pregnancy I was told a confirmation test would be needed? To get some OB recommendations that work through your hospital? You tell me Smarty Pants. So I'm that much more bugged.

Then when he tells us the test was positive, instead of just saying that, he says something stupid like "Well the supreme court never agrees with anyone but we're lucky our pregnancy tests aren't senators or from Rhode Island." Whatever. I couldn't even figure out what he was saying, I had to look quizzically over at DH with a nice "WTF?" expression... see that DH was equally confused, and then ask the doctor, "What?" So he says, "Our test confirms prior suspicions. Congratulations, I guess."

I had a ton of questions, and asked him what I should avoid eating, or try to eat more of. I did tell him I was banded, but more around the issue of vitamins/supplements than anything else. My questions were mostly around the current/research validity behind things like - don't eat salmon, don't use artificial sweetners, get extra AOX, avoid honey, etc. Instead of answering my question he starts to have his conversation with my stomach and says, "You know, you really don't need to worry about extra calories yet. Eating for two comes later, you're no where ready for that yet!" Now - if I had asked him, "Should I eat more?" or "I've been eating more, is that normal?" I could maybe (as in - not) see that being an appropriate response. I just kind of looked at him and said "Yeah, I know, but that's not what I asked."

I'm currently sitting around 40 lbs left to lose. Maybe 50 on a bloated day. My BMI is still "obese" but I'm iwithin 15 - 20 lbs of "overweight." Now, I don't want to justify being obese, and I'm not trying to make it sound like I'm blind to the fact that I'm still overweight. I know that medically my weight is still not great. But holy heck. I'm starting to feel like I need to have a shirt printed up that reads, "Two years ago I was almost 400 lbs so give me a F-ing break!" I'm there for a freaking pregnancy, and the guy doesn't answer my questions, but will tell me that I don't need to start eating for two just yet. :biggrin:

Stupid doctor, or stupid man doctor?

WHEETSIN YOU ARE KNOCKED UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!! I won't even comment on the stupid doctor...:thumbup: but it's great that you are having a baby! Cool news!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Oh, and family Dr. also told me to insist on a follow-up ultrasound from the OB Wed, and said to call her if they won't do it and she'd order one through the hospital (she had a few miscarriages, and is close to my age... I think her overall empathy level is a bit higher). I called them to see if this had already been scheduled and they were like "We don't know, it depends on whether or not the Dr. thinks it's needed. One might, and the other might not."

So I told them to make sure I saw the Dr. who was most likely to think it might. :)

Jeez what a headache. No other OB you can go to that people can refer?

Since it's your first, if I was in your situation I wouldn't be handling it so calmly. So many questions, and information you need.. an OB with attention would definitely be helpful.

Wheetsin,

First, congratulations! Enjoy as much of the pregnancy as you can. Meaning it's not all going to be great but take the good stuff where you can and enjoy it!

Second, how very frustrating! The way my hormones rage during a normal cycle for me, pregnant, I'd probably try to hurt someone!! Sounds like your regular dr is on your side, keep her in your hip pocket and pull her out when you need the idiots in OB to do what you tell them to. Take care of yourself in the meantime and do what you need to for you and the baby.

Wheetsin, I'm picking up this post late.

However, I just want to say congratulations and I hope your pregnancy is going well and that you're enjoying it.

I can remember reading some of your posts way back when and thinking that you'd be an awesome parent.

All the best in your new adventure.

Congrats!

And, maybe this has been said before, havent read thru all the posts yet, did you see "House", just kidding (just sounded like something he may say). I once saw an ob/gyn, who while doing the pap thing, said, "you know you need to lose weight" i thought, "really? cuz i havent looked in a mirror for a few years, i didnt realize that." and it was a woman! then afterwards it really starts to affect me, and she's talking to me and i just cant hold back the tears, and then she just walks out. i told the clinic that i refused to see her again. my regular dr. told me that several people have refused to see her, she's only a seasonal dr. here.