Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

restaurant issues

Buffets are evil and by their nature full of the cheapest food the restaurant can provide. If I only get a half to a cup of food I'm going for quality, and there just isn't quality at a buffet.

But that's a different thread...

I TOTALLY agree with that! The kids love going to the buffets but I dread it, and did before banding as well. There's just really nothing there worth eating.

I'd much rather go to a sit down place, order what I like, eat what I can and then either take the rest home, or not. I'm not paying $15 for the plate of food, I'm paying $15 for the night out with my husband. How much I eat is irrelevant.

This is a bit of a pet peeve with me. We all know they don't want us to order off the kids/senior menu because the more they feed us the more we eat, the more money they make. I think if a person doesn't want a Shrek sized meal, they shouldn't be forced to buy one. That's the whole point of the senior menu, smaller portions. It's not like I'm asking for free food, just to buy smaller portions. I have a tough time leaving half or more of my meal on the plate.

So far, no one has told me no, but if they did, you can be sure I wouldn't go there again.

i dont go to buffets anymore. i order what i want, eat what i want and take the rest home. i don't leave it, i paid for it. i consider it a plus that i get at least 2 more meals from one night out.

I understand why Mogolian BBQ wouldn't do a child's menu for a full size person- and the other resturants too.

I have had success asking if they have 1/2 portions and a lot do but it's not on the menu. Or we share a meal and pay the plate charge.

Resturants have to make money and if you are occupying their space, you have to pay. It costs a lot to run a resturant.I am sympathic with them and just take the leftovers home- 2-3 meals for the price of one! Yea

I have always hated buffets- poor food at best- and adding to America's obesity problem. Just my humble opinion.

I am going for high quality food from now on. I deserve the best. No more junk food- it makes me break out--- IN FAT!:thumbup:

Sadie

I will usually order a small dish or appetizer. We take home everything for my fiance's lunch the next day or i give it to someone in my family. I can not stand to waste food. Too many people going hungry and it makes me feel guilty...instead of eating it...someone else does.

I get what I want and take home the rest.

Most resturants price the childrens menu cheap so it gets the parents to come out. They dont make much on the kids which is why any will not allow adults to order from it no matter what the circumstances.

I still refuse to use my card, I don't even know what I did with it or if I still have it.

I didn't ask to pay more when I ate more, I absolutely refuse to ask to pay less now that I eat more like a normal person. It doesn't seem fair.

I totally agree with that. We need to remember for the most part we are eating normal adult portions. The buffets could charge everyone less if we (and other people) had always eaten normal sized portions. :thumbup:

But I too am no longer a fan of buffets. As has already been stated for the most part the quality isn't that good and that's become much more important to me.

I usually order an appetizer or sometimes ask for the lunch portion of an entree. I don't think I've ever been turned down on that. And even that is usually too much. But boxes are great for later.

Now here's one for ya. We recently went to an "All you can eat Walleye" dinner at a family owned restaurant in a small town. The price includes two sides, rolls, salad bar, and desert bar (with homemade deserts). It's under $10 and they have live (and very good) music, which they expect you to enjoy for a couple of hours while you eat and socialize! I don't expect a discount for that! I asked the server to bring me one piece of fish and no sides but I would get salad. DH asked for 1 side, but he doesn't get the salad. I was brought 3 pieces of fish and felt badly because I could only eat one. When we got our bill, I was only charged $3.00 for my meal. We went to the waitress and explained that I also had salad and that was too large of a discount and that we would pay the full price. We had to insist!

We watched as people (heavy and thin) were eating piles of food off the salad bar, getting extra fish (they bring it around fresh from the deep fryer), and eating several Desserts, they were not small sample sizes. We wondered how long this family will be able to stay in business this way.

I have a card, but will not use it. I will not order off the kids menu because most of the food on it is crap. I order Soup, side salads, or an appetizer. sometimes a combo of soup and salad. If I order a meal, I bring most of it home for a couple of more meals. Eating with my band is my business, not the restaurant's. Why make an issue or refuse to go back if they won't accomodate your eating needs? That's ridiculous.

I totally agree with that. We need to remember for the most part we are eating normal adult portions. The buffets could charge everyone less if we (and other people) had always eaten normal sized portions. :thumbup:

But I too am no longer a fan of buffets. As has already been stated for the most part the quality isn't that good and that's become much more important to me.

I usually order an appetizer or sometimes ask for the lunch portion of an entree. I don't think I've ever been turned down on that. And even that is usually too much. But boxes are great for later.

Now here's one for ya. We recently went to an "All you can eat Walleye" dinner at a family owned restaurant in a small town. The price includes two sides, rolls, salad bar, and desert bar (with homemade deserts). It's under $10 and they have live (and very good) music, which they expect you to enjoy for a couple of hours while you eat and socialize! I don't expect a discount for that! I asked the server to bring me one piece of fish and no sides but I would get salad. DH asked for 1 side, but he doesn't get the salad. I was brought 3 pieces of fish and felt badly because I could only eat one. When we got our bill, I was only charged $3.00 for my meal. We went to the waitress and explained that I also had salad and that was too large of a discount and that we would pay the full price. We had to insist!

We watched as people (heavy and thin) were eating piles of food off the salad bar, getting extra fish (they bring it around fresh from the deep fryer), and eating several deserts, they were not small sample sizes. We wondered how long this family will be able to stay in business this way.

Very true. The food is the least of the cost. The other overhead is what is expensive. The building, staff, A/C or heating, insurance, taxes, the works.

There was a person on OH that went to a buffet and since she doesn't eat much she was eating off her husband's plate. The staff told her they could not share one buffet meal. The poster threw a fit, acted like a child, complained to management, etc. That makes all of us look like idiots.

I don't get it, we wanted WLS so that we wouldn't stick out, we could be like everyone else, yet when it comes to money people have no problem sticking out, showing off port incision, etc. It's silly.

I've yet to meet a person that asked to pay more at a buffet before surgery when they ate more but they feel they should pay less today. How is that fair? Naturally thin people don't ask to pay according to what they eat, it makes no sense to ask for discounts at a buffet since we eat enough for one person now instead of three.

I feel the need to open a restaurant that charges people by the weight of the food they order!

Oh, wait that's been done it's a deli!

This falls under the heading, it takes all kinds of people to make the world interesting. That includes penny pinchers and people who throw money away.

Oh well.

The idea that I was "wasting money" by not finishing everything on my plate is what got me fat in the first place.

My ex eats until he's full and then stops. To him, eating after that is totally illogical. I used to say "but we're paying for this meal!" to which he would reply "and we're paying the same price whether you eat it or not, if you're full you're full."

I guess I'm happy to "throw my money away" as you put it, if that's what it takes to have a healthy relationship with food.

Agreed, I don't think eating a normal size portion of food is wasting money vs. eating enough for 3 people. There is much more to going to a restaurant than the food. I'm like you, it was my "fat mentality" that got me fat, I'm trying to change everything about how I view food.

Funny how we all see ourselves in another's post. :thumbdown:

I thought "wasting money" was reference to DH and I paying full price though the server had discounted it. We were simply being honest. The server thought I only ate one piece of fish and didn't realize I had also gotten the salad bar. And knowing the server wasn't the owner we insisted on paying full price. For our meal & entertainment it was a real deal, by no means a waste of money. And we truly did eat the "recommended daily requirement" for a meal. Too bad we didn't always eat that way.

But in reality OH-Juli probably wasn't referencing any of us. Just commenting on the different strokes aspect. :rolleyes:

I've never asked for a child's meal either. I just take home what I don't eat. Most kid's menus have lousy choices anyway.

chicken fingers - can't eat 'em

spaghetti - won't eat it

burger or hot dog - can't eat 'em

grilled cheese - would love to but it's a guaranteed PB.

I stick with appetizers (that helps to avoid the additional carbs from fries or potatoes) or just take the rest home.

I feel the need to open a restaurant that charges people by the weight of the food they order!

Oh, wait that's been done it's a deli!

This falls under the heading, it takes all kinds of people to make the world interesting. That includes penny pinchers and people who throw money away.

Oh well.

There are actually 2 restaurant like this in Portugal called "O Peso" and "O Kilo" (Peso = weight, kilo=kilogram) and both have a buffet at the front with meat, salads, fruits, sides etc. You load your plate with what you want, and you pay by the weight of your plate. My hubby use to always pay a lot more then me because he got a lot of meat.:biggrin2:

There are actually 2 restaurant like this in Portugal called "O Peso" and "O Kilo" (Peso = weight, kilo=kilogram) and both have a buffet at the front with meat, salads, fruits, sides etc. You load your plate with what you want, and you pay by the weight of your plate. My hubby use to always pay a lot more then me because he got a lot of meat.:biggrin2:

That would be a cool buffet. I'd be interested to see what the differences in cost would be from before surgery to after surgery.