Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

restaurant issues

I went to a mongolian BBQ the other day- buffet only- I asked if I could order off of the children's menu, and my waitress refused. I dont have a courtesy card (my doc's office didnt give me one) but i did offer to show her my scars or feel my port (she oddly refused this as well).

I think I am just going to make my own card to have in the future. I am not going back there again!

Cards do not guarantee that you can order off of the children's menu, receive discounts, etc. All the card does is state (claim) you have a band. Your mouth can do the exact same thing. If they don't accept you asking to order from the children's menu, they're probably not going to allow you to do it just because you have a homemade card that says the same thing.

It is 100% a restaurant's choice whether or not non-children can order off of the children's menu.

I think I would have oddly refused as well...

Yeah, it's not really a matter of whether she believed you had the surgery. There's nothing that says they have to allow you a discount because of it. I've made a point to just enjoy the food in places I'm going, and be prepared to take leftovers. In a place like a mongolian bbq, you probably need to consider that you are paying for the company you are keeping more than how much food you are getting now.

I've been worried about restaurants too. Luckily, the few I've been to have been wonderful. I just say that I have a bunch of odd dietary restrictions and I hope they will be able to accommodate. I ask them to remove my Water glass, bring a to-go box at the same time they bring my meal, and replace rice or bread with fruit. Both times I've done this, I've gotten a great response - and I've tipped well as a thank-you.

If I did get push-back from a server, I would probably ask if there is a manager on duty I could talk with. If that doesn't do the trick, I would just put the restaurant on my "do not visit" list.

The Excalibur roundtable buffet will give you the kids price if you can show documentation of the band..... don't need a card just anything from your records. I plan to bring a copy of my discharge papers. The one w/o much info on it...just has my name and that I was banded.

Yep...I won't have to pay $16.99. Only $14.99. hahahahah yeppers, 2 bucks off.

So not worth it!

A courtesy is a courtesy and if it's bound by red tape such as requiring documentation...then it's not a courtesy, is it?

I'm not sure I'd even ask. I'm the one with the problem, I don't feel as though they need to accommodate me. I make the decision if I want to pay X for a meal or not.

I have never understood why restaurants would object to anyone wanting to order off the child's menu. I know some do but do not get it. I was a waitress and an owner of a restaurant and it never was a problem for anyone to order off the child's menu for me.

I'm always happy with a side or an appetizer--but then my hubby and I haven't been to a buffet since I got banded. It's a shame, but we've eliminated them from our "Go Out to Dinner" list... :shades_smile:

I can understand your frustration. Like everyone above said, talk to the manager, and if that doesn't get you the response you want write to the corperation and if that still doesn't get you what you want quit giving the place your money.

I find it's not worth the hassel to go into my history. I get what I get and take home what I can not eat or I order appetizers.< /p>

I have a card and never have thought of pulling out of my post op package to use. When I go out to a restaurant, I consider it a treat - A treat I don't have to cook or clean up after. I'm more of a fan of not cleaning up after!!!

If someone does not want to honor a WLS Card - that's a restaurants right to refuse - and likely a place I wouldn't go anyway.

I enjoy frankly just ordering an appetizer and only eating half - If I get an entree, it's great I can get 3 meals out of it.

I would have a problem with someone who bought one of my puppies said "this lab is too friendly".

I haven't used it yet, but I got a card with my preop paperwork. However you can print your own off of obesityhelp. I guess it is ok to mention that website since Lapband talk doesn't offer cards. :-)

I still refuse to use my card, I don't even know what I did with it or if I still have it.

I didn't ask to pay more when I ate more, I absolutely refuse to ask to pay less now that I eat more like a normal person. It doesn't seem fair.

I sometimes ask to order off the kids menu. I have a card but I never showed it. If they refuse I just say ok and ask for a box. I think it should be up to the restaurant if they want to do it or not. Of course the nice thing to do would be to allow it, but if they don't want to, there is no point in getting upset. And I think buffets should be off limits for banded people any way its just sort of asking for trouble. :biggrin2:

Buffets are evil and by their nature full of the cheapest food the restaurant can provide. If I only get a half to a cup of food I'm going for quality, and there just isn't quality at a buffet.

But that's a different thread...