Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Already Getting Stuck?

Before I go any further, let me just thank the many of you, who help us newbies out with our questions. I know you have heard them a million times, and yet, you all respond with such patience!

Alrighty, I have just had 1.8 CC's in a 10 CC band (1 fill) and already I have problems with food getting stuck. No, I haven't PB'd but I wonder when I get my next fill this Thursday, if it won't be much worse. I admit to having problems eating too fast still. Could it be the wheat Buns or wheat tortillas too? Maybe chicken breast......dunno?

hi,

I had my first fill on 02/25/08 and nothing has gotten stuck, but I do feel a wee tiny bit of restriction when I eat too much bread, tortilla, etc. I have my next fill on 03/11 and I know what you mean about wondering if you will PB, which of course I dont want. I too realize that I eat too fast and must take smaller bites and eat slower.....I hear you, it is a sign, we need to slow down and enjoy the food and not be in such a hurry. dont beat yourself up because I do and remember this is a tool, we need to pitch in and help it help us!! good luck:)

i have stuff get stuck - i don't exactly get what people mean by pbing... i've heard it explained but still haven't experienced it. i have had to force myself to throw up a few times when liquid got stuck on top of food... you need to talk to your doctor about the things you're feeling and experiencing - that's what they base how much more to fill on... communication is key. my doctor after fills makes me drink Water and last time (i've only had 2 fills) told me to go eat yogurt and tell me how it felt... i described it to him in great detail and he said to come back and he took out half a cc.

Yes, truth be told I do eat to fast and take to big of bites. It's so hard to break a life long habit. That's what got me into being fat in the first place!! Will try to make concious effert to slow down!!

I cant even begin to eat bread or tortillas....Ive had the band for almost 2 years. I found it best to just stay away from it...

How is your weight loss? Are you losing 1-2 pounds a week? If you are, and if you are still getting food "stuck" then it does not sound as though you are needing another fill yet.

It is always a temptation to get really tight restriction, and lose it fast. But as you are finding out, it is hard to eat if you do not do so properly, and have restriction!!!

My suggestion would be to slow down.....and learn to seriously eat like a bandster. Smaller bites, and chewed VERY well....then a few more times just for good measure! When you can eat in this way, and eat hard proteins--meat--without getting stuck, and your weight loss falls below the recommended 1-2 pounds per week----then go get the next fill.

If you push it, get another fill, and do not learn to eat properly before hand---you take a chance on getting something stuck seriously that would require a complete unfill, and healing time.

I have been banded for almost 2 years, am getting close to goal now....and have only had 2 fills. I might be able to handle another now, but I like the control I have learned. I like being able to eat healthy food. I can eat salads, and meat without issue. I still eat small amounts, and in small bites. Chewing is serious business!

It is better for your band and your stomach to achieve restriction slowly....and cautiously. Overfilling and unfilling, begins a swelling cycle sometimes that can be hard to break. Therefore making it hard to find your sweet spot.

If the only thing you are getting stuck on is the Buns, tortillas, and chicken, it may well be that they are simply too dry, or going to be trigger foods for you at this stage of the game.

It is time to watch your intake, and how you feel closely----see how you eat those foods, and if you feel that way at any other time, etc.

Ask yourself some serious questions about whether you are ready for another fill, whether your Dr. asks you or not.

It is your body---be sure you take as good of care of it and your band as you can!!

Kat

songinmysoul - of course it's insanely hard -- but all the times i keep getting stuck... well, it's helping me. the bites' size depend on what you're eating -- you'll get used to it. i was only banded a little bit ago. some tricks are to cut up your food all at once, put down your fork inbetween bites and give the food time to process... talk and do other stuff... watch tv... whatever... you'll get used to not wolfing it down

Thanks for all of the great advice. Here is the funky part though, I haven't lost but three pounds with this fill (scale says I gained it back too) and that makes for a grand total of about 10-14 since surgery on January 3rd? Most depressing for sure. I am trying to remember that most bandster vets say until good restriction is achieved, this could be the norm. I am just so frustrated!

i was banded the 8th, and have not lost as much as you.

also my doc says it should take 45 mins to eat a meal

Thanks for all of the great advice. Here is the funky part though, I haven't lost but three pounds with this fill (scale says I gained it back too) and that makes for a grand total of about 10-14 since surgery on January 3rd? Most depressing for sure. I am trying to remember that most bandster vets say until good restriction is achieved, this could be the norm. I am just so frustrated!

You will find it difficult to lose if you eat carbs like Buns and tortillas often, even if they are wheat ones. Eliminate the carbs and you should see the scale go down. good restriction will help, too.

Tortilla and bread can be very difficult. The best thing you can do is eat the size of a pencil eraser, chew really well and eat slowly. That is the only way not to get stuck. good luck.

All the things you mentioned could cause getting stuck. Eating too fast is a big problem for me. I almost always get stuck if I wait too long to eat, get very hungry, then eat too fast. bread and tortillas often cause problems for me as well. I can eat chicken breast with no problems, but many bandsters find it to dry and it gets stuck. Try slowing down, chewing better and avoiding these 3 foods until Thursday. If things improve, you can probably get a small fill. If they stay the same, don't get a fill. It is a misconception that being really tight will produce faster weight loss. Many people when they are tight turn to poor food choices like ice cream that actually causes weight gain. Also, being too tight can eventually lead to a slip. If you haven't actually PB'd, I think you just need to slow down and be more careful.

Songinmysoul:

I eat too fast too. I bought some one minute sand/hourglass type timers at unclesgames.com. They're only a few bucks. I got five of them because I need to have one wherever I eat. What I do is take a bite, flip the timer over, and wait until the sand's all at the bottom before I take another bite, then flip again.....

Good luck.

Sue