Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March Bandsters: MASTER THREAD

Yesterday was my first day back to work and it was a piece of cake since I work at a computer most of the day. No pain at all here for me. I feel blessed for that.

Something I haven't seen anyone post on is that my doctor has me on Coumadin for a month post op and a acid reflux medicine Protonix for about that long too. How about others?

And finally for FENTON-- the saying still goes -- boys and their toys! a blender with all the gadgets!! Congrats!

Special K - I was put on dissolving Prisolex, just put it on my tongue but not on coumadin. They did give me 2 shots in my stomach, (Thurs-Fri) that I think was for blood something.

Hi everyone! Well I am banded. Yesterday I came out of the OR very, very nauseous. Gas pain was extremely bad yesterday, but okay today. I cant say that much for where my port incision is, wow is that sore.

I also had shots of Lovonox (sp?), the blood thinner, the 2 days I was in the hospital. Was told it was precaution for blood clots... I know some are sent home with meds for blood thinners after surgery, but alot depends on history and BMI. Luckily, so far I have had no issues with my previously outragepous GERD. Haven't taken Nexium for a week.....not sure if this joyous feeling will continue, but it is so nice considering i was in such misearble discomfort from the GERD everyday,, even with meds....

Yesterday was a terrible gas day. I did a few more things than I should have and then alot more walking. not sure if was all gas or just that i overdid things... but I woke up this morning feeling so much better.

congrats to all of the MArch Bandsters. There seem to have been so many in the past week or so. On to a better life style, and a healthier one :thumbup:

Dragonfly Girl: these are last-minute jitters, and only natural. I suspect that there isn't THAT much difference among the bands, that it's largely a question of marketing - my surgeon got HIS band 7 years ago, and has maintained his slimmed weight ever since. Which is impressive, because his ancient band is probably made of, like, reeds bound together with mud.

Yay Special K! I took some acid reducer spontaneously for about the first week post-op, but I wasn't having any reflux problems - probably because they took the time to fix my hiatal hernia. I wasn't given a blood thinner, although I'm pretty massive - I'd bet that reflects the surgeon's experience more than anything else. As far as preventing blood clots, keeping well hydrated and keeping moving are really important - it comes back to the old mantra "Drink, walk, drink, walk, repeat".

And yay Charity and Lynn - good to hear that things are getting better...

I had 2 shots of Heparin, to prevent blood clots, while in the hospital. Nothing at home.

Glad to hear most people feel much better one week post op. DH will be leaving on Sunday for Hong Kong and I'll be on my own with my 3 little kiddos and returning to work on Monday. By the time he gets back I'll be gearing up for my first fill.

I tried to schedule my first fill for about 4 weeks from now, but the office would not let me at this point. They said I may not need one at that time. I guess I'm kind of in disbelief because I see so many struggle with hunger about a month out. My doctor's office is really busy so I wanted to get a jump on it. Oh well, time will tell.

I too am a daily weigher. Not a good thing right now. I think I will switch to weekly. I've had hardly anything in the way of calories the past 3 days, yet the scale has not changed. I know it has to do with the surgery, but it's discouraging none the less.

I will assign Monday morning as my weigh in time.

Christine

I do the morning hop on the scale thing, too.....I don't get discouraged if it's up a little, I know things flucuate. It's just a good reminder for me to start the day.....there may come a time that I need to do it less though, because it can get frustrating!

As for blood thinners, I had the heparin shot in the belly...which sounded much worse that it was....but nothing post op. I came home with pain meds and anti nausea meds, that's it.

Hi everyone! Well I am banded. Yesterday I came out of the OR very, very nauseous. Gas pain was extremely bad yesterday, but okay today. I cant say that much for where my port incision is, wow is that sore.

Charity, I'm in the same exact boat as you - got banded yesterday, and was extremely nauseous in the hospital. Gas pain was horrible yesterday, but fine today. Port incision hurts today, and it bled through my clothes last night. I'm doing pretty well. My mom is here chasing after my 11 month old, thank god. I don't think I would be feeling as well if I had to get up and down a bunch to care for the DD. Best wishes!!

I just found this group...I was banded on 3/10/2008. I was off work for one week and one day. Back to work on 3/18/08. I spent one night in the hospital. I was given shots to avoid blood clots and also had a machine on my legs to promote blood flow. I had to get up and walk every couple hours and I had to do breathing exercises. Once I was home, I was on liquids for 2 weeks. I was allowed 1 oz every 5-15 minutes depending on what I could handle. Now, I am on a pureed food diet for another 2 weeks and I can start exercising this week. I am still not allowed to life over 10 lbs though. It's funny to hear the differences in what some doctors will allow and the diet requirements which seem so different. Most posts I've read I have noticed that the diets are not restricted after surgery like mine. I am very happy so far though. I lost 8 lbs before surgery and since surgery I have lost an additional 14.5 lbs.

Welcome to the Shrinking Shamrocks StephieNana, this is a fun group and you can get lots of useful and not so useful information here.

Hi everyone, hope all of the recent bandsters are feeling better after surgery this week, being a little over 1 week post op, I'm hear to say, it does get better.

I had my staples removed yesterday and feel so much better, today is Day 9 post op. I'm enjoying my new menu that started yesterday that includes eggs, string cheese, deli thinned sliced turkey/chicken, tuna some vegetables and canned fruit. It was great going to Taco Bell and getting a bowl of pintos & cheese, it was so delicious and filling, I never would have believed it. I'm scheduled to go back to work Tuesday, but asked the doctor yesterday if he could keep me off til Monday, April 7 to give me a few more days to get over being so tired, he ok'd it, now if my job will just approve it I'll be in business. If I have to go back Tuesday, I'm sure I'll survive, but it would be nice to have a little more time off. My incisions, especially, the port site are still pretty sore even after the staples have come out, they still seem to pull some if I move the wrong way, but nothing to unbearable.

Fenton, going to talk about bra's now, just letting you know so you can go somewhere else, lol. My port site is right at my bra line and it hurt so much putting it on yesterday to go to the doctor's. I've been holed up in the house every since surgery last week, so not exactly sure what I'm going to do about this situation when I go back to work. Might have to unhook my bra while I'm at my desk, lol..... Oh well.

Hey shamrocks!

Gosh, the gas pain hit today.....UGH! I took the gas-x and that sure helped! The heating pad is wonderful and walking is good as well. Then I get the hiccups which are even worse. I manged to get in some Protein this morning. Loving the shakes. It is more like chocolate milk. I am hating my waterbed! I spent the night on the couch. I think I'll be there for the next few days.

Well.....I'm happy to be on my journey! Good luck to all the other new bandsters!

Hey everyone!!

Well hubby didnt hide the scale from me...when i woke up and went to go to the bathroom...there it was...just looking at me mocking me saying stand on me frances you know you want to LOL....and it won...but...YAY when i did it read 251.6 i was so excited....so maybe there was a good reason he didnt hide it yet...but i was so mad when i went in there i was like...hello scale why are you sitting here.....so i called my hubby and was like why didnt you hide that gosh darn scale and he was like i did...but i took it out to weigh myself and thought you were going to want to so i left it...i was like OMG that was the point of you hiding the scale so i dont use it LOL he was like oh sorry hunny...MEN sorry Fenton...i still love you :)

Anyway....i just thought you all would like to hear that my hiding the scale thing didnt work.....well i need to eat and go to the store and get the stuff i need for the weekend...

Talk to you all later!

I am on day 17 post-op and I can certainly say it does get better! The walking helps and so do the gas-x pills! Thanks to my step-mom who told me about those! She had gastric bypass 4 years ago and after I told her about waking up in the middle of the night screaming because of the pain in my shoulder...she told me about gas-x. What a difference! My diet right now consists of mashed potatoes, sugar free pudding, Protein Shakes and Water. I am allowed meats if I puree them in a blender, but that doesn't sound very good, so I am getting my Protein in other ways. Popsicles were my saving grace during the first couple weeks. They were the only thing that even tasted good. I did well losing weight during the liquid diet, but it seems that now the weight is harder to take off. I have read other posts that have said this is the healing time and until you have the first fill, there won't be much weight loss. It's comforting to know others were here before I was and everyone has been so helpful. I've still lost more weight than I would have without the surgery! :)

hi all... was banded on 3/3 and got my first fill today. yup, it's earlier than normal. but part of the reason i chose my doc was that he was a bit aggressive than most and also because he doesn't charge for fills--ever. on his advice, i tested my tolerance this week with solid food. (fenton, as a foodie you might appreciate my dinner at ouest last night: casarecce Pasta with fennel sausage and braised pork) don't worry! i had the appetizer portion.

but i digress... i've read elsewhere on these boards that fills are fairly easy and painless procedures. while mine was pretty much pain free (thanks to a little medication), it wasn't easy. my surgeon doesn't typically do fills, instead he has associates do them. they're all pretty competent, but the one who handled my fill today had the darndest time finding the center of my port. i could feel the needle sliding off its rigid edge of. it was an odd, but not a painful sensation. anyway after 10 pokes, she called in the other doctor who did manage to find the port and add 1cc to the 3ccs they put in during surgery. it took another 10 pokes! it didn't hurt at the time, but now that the pain med is wearing off, i'm feeling a little sore. ouch. the obligatory cup of post-fill Water went down fine and i'm hoping the added boost will chase away the hunger pains i had been feeling while also helping me finally get out of the 270s!

wish me luck until my next doctor's visit in 2 weeks!

Edited by hungry4help

Hey there-- New to this board. Banded on 3/7/08. Have done really well but desperate to be filled as I tend to want to eat more than the recommended 1/4 cup. I am fighting it tooth and nail but could never say I am full. I still have 4 weeks until they fill me because at 6 weeks my doc is not there I am considering calling to be brought in at 5 weeks and see if they will see me. Anyone else experience that feeling?